Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Can a rental car do??

Old 10-07-2008, 12:11 AM
ArcticGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

4 or 5 years ago at Road Atlanta, a group of guys drove the Jaguar XJ they had rented for the weekend from Hertz or Budget. Not bad!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:36 AM
genikz
User

+1 on the brake pads. I was at California Speedway when one of the guys in my HPDE group had to run to Autozone to get front pads for the 350Z he rented
Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Driver8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van View Post
Boy, I hope these stories never get back to my kids...
Hey Van,

For the right price I can make sure of that.

Aaron
Old 10-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Bryan Watts
Super User

FWD rental car + McDonalds plastic trays under the back wheels + parking brake = fun.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 AM
bobt993
Addict
Rennlist Member

A friend of mine rented a BMW Z convert to do the BMW Ring school some years back. Needing seat time in a hurry, he left the rental parking lot drifting the car down the garage ramp, pulled up to the automated ticket booth and promptly opened the door in a steel barrier putting a huge ding in the door. You could not turn around or get back over the tread gates once you exit. Not hearing traffic, launched it backwards up the ramp 3 floors, (no cars behind him). Went back inside and asked them to note his paperwork for a ding they missed in pre-inspection.

Another renter with us called the agency to get a new car because the rotors were warped. They could not reproduce the problem at the exchange place of course. (You had to do half a lap on Nurburgring to get them hot enough).

It appears the days of rental cars on the Ring are going away unfortunately.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:19 AM
VERBOTN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Peter:
that vette had rental company installed GPS and I asked the driver if it also reported to the rental company. He did not know but it would be interesting to find out if he got dinged for "speeding".
Old 10-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Noel
User

A guy from the west coast flew into Ohio to run at Mid-Ohio DE a few years ago. He rented a Chysler 300. After two sessions, he cam in dripping brake fluid everywhere. Turns out he blew out a caliper piston seal. He drove it back to the rental company using the e-brake and got another car to run the track.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:06 AM
DM993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts View Post
FWD rental car + McDonalds plastic trays under the back wheels + parking brake = fun.
Who thinks of that????
Old 10-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Seth Thomas
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts View Post
Plastic water meter covers are better than trays. They are hard ABS plastic that you will not wear through. Tray Slides a lot easier when the plastic stays for multiple slides.

On other notes I have heard of guys returning rental cars with tires that sound like they are going over train tracks when driven down the highway from doing too many J-turns, transmissions that barely work due to some grinding of the gears, smokey fwd burnouts by pulling the front tires up to a curb setting the ebrake and stepping on the gas. These are just some of the things I have heard of guys doing to rental cars. All of this is why I would never buy one from Hertz after they are done with them
Old 10-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Veloce Raptor
Torque Monster
Rennlist Member
Small Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas View Post
These are just some of the things I have heard of guys doing to rental cars.
cough cough snicker chortle
Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Seth Thomas
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did I also mention putting the car in neutral, pulling the ebrake on the highway, doing a 180 so you are going backwards down the interstate, and then whipping the car back the right direction at 80 MPH?

Or using a loading dock area as a mini halfpipe for a minivan?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Patrick E
Addict
Rennlist Member

Several years ago (right after VIR reopened) the chief instructor at a BMW event drove around in a rented Taurus. I think it lasted two sessions before the tires and brakes were shot. He parked it the rest of the weekend. I've never heard tires howl like that since!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:55 AM
DAVISRILEY
User

We once brought back a lincoln after a weekend at Road Atlanta with rear tires corded(best burnout ever!), a minivan so covered in Georgia red clay that you could see out of the windshield in spots only(parked in a field, ebrake on, full throttle in reverse. Worked like a mud sprinkler) , and a rental golf cart that we off roaded. It was a great weekend.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:06 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmoffitt View Post
we uh, MAY or may not have rented a Dodge Charger and proceeded to have back-to-back autox laps of it with 6 co-drivers at least year's Champagne Run. Er I mean, No, who would do such a thing
Please, that one pales in comparison to the some of the others.

Or have the statute of limitations not expired on the others?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:37 AM
DogInBlack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Still a Classic

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor View Post
...and then there are the epic Grand Marquis rental car track sessions at BMW events at Barber.
Yeehaaa!!!
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Can a rental car do??

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: