Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much pressure on Heikkie now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:33 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How much pressure on Heikkie now?

With the Kimi struggling to even finish race these days, and McClaren in the leads in constructors points now, how much more pressure is on him to beat at least one Ferrari in the next few races?

I'm sure McClaren would love to have redemtion after last years debacle. But is that asking too much of Heikki? We cant expect Kimi to keep taking shortcuts into the wall, so he'll have to beat one of them straight up and Lewis the other. Lewis is likely more caught up in WDC so he'll at least be trying to beat Massa.

I think it's a bit much to ask of Heikki, though Ferrari have been giving away points at an astounding rate. But this could be big for him if he can do it.

Up until now the sole focus has been WDC since Ferrari had that gigantic constuctors lead, now it's neck and neck for both. Discuss.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:02 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

It certainly is a real opportunity for Heikki to make a big contribution. Although Singapore did not work out well for Heikki, that race was really pretty abnormal. First, passing was obviously very difficult and the safety car thoroughly shuffled the order. Italy was much better. Although there seems to be general disappointment that Heikki only finished second, I do think that Vettel's car was really hooked up and he was on a special drive. Yeah, Lewis may have won from second on the grid in that situation, but Heikki's run was still solid. So far Mac seems quite satisfied with Heikki. I get the impression that he is a very likable guy and that has probably helped.

Agree that WDC and WCC would be a massive boost to McLaren after last year.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:58 AM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been a little dissappointed with Heikkie this year and thought he would deliver a little more on a more consistent basis. He clearly has a good car under him. As said, the championship (s) are hotting up for a great finale
Old 10-03-2008, 11:07 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It just seems that between the 4 people in the fastest cars, Heikki is a bit outmanned to be facing head to head with Kimi (since he's support driver now). Frankly, I dont think McClaren can be competitive in the upcoming seasons with only one WDC caliper driver. Unless Ferrari will throw away points every year.

Last year, there was a big rivalry at MM, but they were collectively handing the Ferrari's their behinds in the WCC.

At the rate BMW is going, they could very well be competitve within the next year or two. They have fallen off somewhat as the year had prgressed, but if they were to get Alonso, him and Kubica could be a very formidable team with FA's developement capabilities. I think that even with the whining, FA is the best move for BMW to get them in that extra mile into the "fastest cars" group (from "best of the rest"), once they get there, it's about staying there which they are more than capable.

Quick Reply: How much pressure on Heikkie now?