Sponsored by:

Summit Point Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

It will be my third race with NASA and I agree with the small fields with many classes but I've seen and been a part of way more contact with PCA.

Not looking to start a debate either....just had a different experience.

I will say that after the Glen, Mosport and Road America PCA races it seems like the carnage has been pretty significant this year (totally un-scientific observation).
Old 09-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are referring to Rick Deman and group, it was my understanding that they were the ones that were hit, not the other way around. However I wasn't there and was not referring to that particular event.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingDog
NASA is run differently from region to region. Don't let your opinion of one region prevent you from running with another.
I believe their rules and procedures are the same though aren't they? As long as SUV's and Audi wagons are allowed in an open-passing advanced run group i'll take a pass..
Old 09-04-2008, 04:48 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is off topic but any one have an idea how far away summit pt. is from Columbus Ohio and what do you guys think of that track?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
this is off topic but any one have an idea how far away summit pt. is from Columbus Ohio and what do you guys think of that track?
http://maps.google.com/

I love Summit and will love it even more after a quality repave.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

+1...summit is a really fun track. If the repave is good it will be a blast.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:07 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Thank you Geoffrey, no debate coming from me.. It will be my 1st NASA race and if I am not happy, my last. I tried their DE program once and won't go back but am going in with an open mind.
I see a debate coming. I have done one NASA DE this year, and allot of things they do i like and some I don't. For sure however, with the number of run groups they have, my 4 -20 min sessions were long layovers. My last run was at 6:20 pm got off the track at 6:40. I was thinking Night run.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:14 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I believe their rules and procedures are the same though aren't they? As long as SUV's and Audi wagons are allowed in an open-passing advanced run group i'll take a pass..
SUVs are not allowed by NASA-MA, but I don't know how they would class an Audi AllRoad. The basic rules are the same between regions. How they are enforced is different. Procedures are much different.
For example:
NASA-MA
HPDE 1 Novice with Instructor, passing in restricted straights with a point
HPDE 2 Intermediate with instructor and a few solo, passing in restricted straights with a point
HPDE 3 Advanced instructor by request, passing anywhere with a point
HPDE 4 Instructors, special guests, TT/comp evaluation students at non-VIR events, and occasionally highly advanced students.
The vast majority of racers must go through a full day competition licensing school (Fridays at VIR events) after proving themselves going through all levels of HPDE. Some licensed drivers from other groups must also go through comp school. A few people (me included) go through a comp eval which takes a full weekend, but is mixed with HPDE4.

NASA-SE and NE (varies slightly)
HPDE 1 and 2 combined, 1 is with instructor, 2 is solo, straights passing with point
HPDE 3 Advanced passing anywhere with point
HPDE 4 Instructors, Advanced students, TT, comp eval, open passing
Other sanctioning body licenses transfer directly into NASA regional licenses. No comp school. Comp eval doesn't have strict application requirements (and from what hear is rarely if ever failed).
Old 09-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

this thread is drifting
Old 09-04-2008, 05:25 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
If you are referring to Rick Deman and group, it was my understanding that they were the ones that were hit, not the other way around. However I wasn't there and was not referring to that particular event.
I can get video if you would like to see otherwise. Rick Deman is definitely the one doing the hitting. The out of class victim took the outside line through 8 to allow Rick plenty of room to pass. Rick went completely across the track, clipped the car with his back end, then proceeded off track. His comment when asked about it "I knew I hit somebody I was passing but I didn't know who it was. It was just racing so it doesn't matter." He hit at least one other car that race and the black SU car with him hit another SU car (one of the tube frame ARCA? cars).

BTW: I have nothing against Rick. He seemed like a nice guy in person. I didn't meet anybody else in his group. I'd just stay away from him on track. I have the same opinion of a few people in my current class, cool in person but scary on track.

Last edited by FlyingDog; 09-04-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:26 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sean F
this thread is drifting
Sorry.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:34 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 528 Likes on 283 Posts

OK guys, before this gets into a "who's racing is better" arguement....

Sum it up by saying some prefer NASA, some prefer PCA, some prefer other racing. It's all what you get out of your experience and your expectations. It's like saying what color car is better, black or red. It's all in who's asking (oh crap, now I just started a car color debate...)

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 09-04-2008, 06:35 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 528 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

I need to drive that soon. I'm told I will really like it with a well handling, decent power 914.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:49 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by naroescape
OK guys, before this gets into a "who's racing is better" arguement....

Sum it up by saying some prefer NASA, some prefer PCA, some prefer other racing. It's all what you get out of your experience and your expectations. It's like saying what color car is better, black or red. It's all in who's asking (oh crap, now I just started a car color debate...)
My race car is red and black so it's the best!

I have no idea which one is better. I just think a lot of PCA people give NASA a bad rap because of rumors or perception of some regions. The same thing happens with PCA, BMWCCA, and SCCA.

If I was the OP and series points aren't a consideration, I would pick the track I wanted to drive. For me that would be the Glen because I've never been there. He's from NY, so maybe Summit Main on 1 month old pavement sounds better.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:53 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my opinions. I have raced in PCA for eight years. This is my second year in NASA. There is more track time at most East Coast PCA races as they usually don't include DE and have no Time Trial run groups . However I enjoy the 'Series points', at the track Dyno testing(not at every race) and the National Championships at Mid-Ohio that PCA does not offer. We are lucky to be able to pick and choose any or both of these race organizing groups. Both of which enjoy a cold one at the end of the day!

Quick Reply: Summit Point Club Race