Sponsored by:

PCA Carerra Classic DE - Gateway (St. Louis) - Sept 27/28

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:17 AM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

I guess if you don't like GIR, or are intimidated by it, you could always choose.... not to go. None of us are fortunate to live by a variety of tracks to choose from. We all know they are high-buck ventures, and it seems to me that every track I visit has some interesting layout features that help me learn something new. Besides, half of the fun for me is the variety of cars and the camaraderie among drivers that is tough to beat.

Every track has its good and bad. If you are from the Midwest, you've probably experienced Heartland Park on a boiling hot day with no shade. Or a cold, drizzly day at Putnam in the soggy grass pits. How many tracks have air-conditioned meeting rooms, and plenty of rest rooms, and a huge carport for shade and protection, with compressed air and electricity on every pole. Few, but not many.

I have chatted with people that have driven from three states away to come to GIR, just because the St. Louis Region puts on such a well-organized event. They love the organization and the many student and instructor levels and the amount of track time they get. They love the many different restaurants that are nearby, etc.

So every track, and the organizations that run events there, may have peculiarities to love and hate. But, every instructor I have ever had has said to "Go to as many different tracks as you can..." to deepen your skill sets. I would include GIR in that group.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-07-2008, 05:48 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have the ability to adapt to your surroundings and adjust your driving style accordingly, maybe GIR is not for you. I prefer to learn how to control my car amongst all that dreaded concrete versus flying off track at insane speeds just because I can.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:40 PM
spieln
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
(That's what I get for expressing an opinion...christ.)

C.
In all fairness Chad, I do not think anybody was knocking your opinion but just clarifing the facts and pointing out the details of the STLPCA DE program.

Obviously you do not like GIR and we can not argue that. Some of us have a different opinion and will continue to run the track whether it is our favorite or not.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:02 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spieln
In all fairness Chad, I do not think anybody was knocking your opinion but just clarifing the facts and pointing out the details of the STLPCA DE program.
Chad
+1. My post (at least) corrected factual errors and expressed my opinion, which I'm sure you will agree I'm entitled to post even if it differs from yours.

However, I wonder why you felt compelled to "ruin the party" (your words) with a gratuitous OT post when the OP simply asked if others were going to the STL-PCA DE at GIR Sept 27-28? Were you treated shabbily or something like that at a STL-PCA GIR DE? We are always interested in improving our program so if you've got something constructive to say, please let us know. Feel free to respond by PM if you prefer.

Last edited by STLPCA; 09-09-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:05 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I decided to take the old shoebox (wanted to put in another sh-- word) - Old Civic Hatch #42. So stop by and say Hi. I'll eventually have a 944 Spec car but it is still be prepared and won't be ready until late winter.

edit: event went great, weather was nice. Even a pro showed up from CRG or TRG? to my dismay that I don't have the passenger seat in my car to get some advice.

Last edited by jaje; 09-29-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: PCA Carerra Classic DE - Gateway (St. Louis) - Sept 27/28