Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:46 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Video Camera Mount - Not Rollbar *Help

Guys,

I've searched and am trying to figure out how to mount my video camera so it is within reach of me in the driver's seat. I have a bullet camera that will be setup and I was hoping to find an easy way to mount the camera to the passenger side of the center console.

My plan was to find a plastic container that I could cut up, fill with some foam lining, and leave the top (small side) open so I could easily drop the camera into the box as I'm leaving pit out after hitting the record button.

I have not been successful in finding the right kind of box and was hoping that this community could direct me to a plastic box. I have the Aiptek camera, so the box doesn't need to be very large - ANY IDEAS?

If anyone has a better mounting idea I am all for hearing it. Pictures are even more helpful.

Wow me with your creativity...

THanks
Old 09-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Can you reach your glovebox? A solid block of foam (i.e. 6-8" thick stiff seat cushion from an upholstery shop) with a cutout a bit smaller than your DVR camera will hold it and help with shocks.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:44 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gary - good idea, but I won't be able to reach it while in my harnesses.

Other's have to have some good ideas.

-Skip
Old 09-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Skip - when I used a DVR camera with a bullet cam in my glovebox I used the remote to turn it on/off. The remote was small and velcroed to my radio delete plate. I use the same velcro for my new Aiptek. Bitch is you can't see a "Record indicator". A small aluminum box bolted to the floor on rubber mounts would work well for you, have one welded up!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:29 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gary,

Thanks again - I guess this is another one of the custom things on my list. Well this is what keeps the car fun...

-Skip
Old 09-04-2008, 09:02 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between the seats. Run a web strap through the plastic box and around a seat base, lap belt buckel base or other sutable mount. Set it up so the strap keeps the recorder from being able to come loose.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Or for the $150 all this is going to cost you in time and $$, just buy an Aiptek 720 HD camera...
Old 09-04-2008, 10:17 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Or for the $150 all this is going to cost you in time and $$, just buy an Aiptek 720 HD camera...
How do you mount it?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurt M
How do you mount it?
I assumed he has a mount for his bullet cam and could use that, but you know what an assumption is..
Old 09-04-2008, 01:17 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am going to use the Aiptek 1080 camera, but want to be able to reach it from the seat for turning it on and off. This has been the biggest complaint for video recording I have.

Kurt - thanks for the ideas.

-Skip
Old 09-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swftiii
I am going to use the Aiptek 1080 camera, but want to be able to reach it from the seat for turning it on and off. This has been the biggest complaint for video recording I have.

Kurt - thanks for the ideas.

-Skip
Read the Aiptek thread, turn it on when you enter the car, use the remote to turn record on/off.. I think some models actually turn on/off with the remote also..
Old 09-04-2008, 01:56 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

vacuummounts.com
Old 09-04-2008, 02:02 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

A bullet cam can be mounted in a lot of ways from hard mounts to racertape. Most groups require even small recorders still need to be held tight in proper mounts to prevent them from becoming projectiles in a wreck. Some groups ban suction cup mounts for recorders but not cams.

as camcorders get smaller and lighter I hope the rules will flex to take this into account.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:03 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar need... no rollbar. Thought about suction mounts, but the rear window of the soft top is too flimsy, and I didn't want that big of an obstruction on the windshield in front of me.

My DIY Solution:

1) Removed rear seat backs (I did this separately when my kids outgrew the back seats, but it's a prerequisite to this approach).

2) Bolted two "L" shaped pipes together and then bolted each (at the "top" of the L) to the rear seat back mounting hardware (near the center, on either side of the transmission hump). Length of the "L" rests on the transmission hump, and the short ends of the L curve upwards and terminate at shoulder height just behind the front seat backs.

3) Bolted a tripod head to the end of one of the pipes. (can also do this for each pipe if I wanted to mount two cameras). Lots of ways to do this, but settled on reusing an old Rennline tow hook mount (the threaded side sticks out the top of the pipe, and holds the tripod head, the hook side - without the hook - is bolted inside the pipe about two inches deep).

BTW, for the pipes, I reused the parts of the wheeled hard-top carrier - they were the perfect sized "L", and had pre-drilled holes in all the right places to mount to the seatback hardware and handle the tow hook.

Total cost: just the time to figure it out and assemble. No new parts. (OK, a few bolts).

All I have to do is reach back about as far as it takes to scratch your ear to hit the on button. The top of the L can pivot on the rear seatback mounting hardware, so I can also place a variety of cushioned objects underneath the back of the "L" closer to the front of the car to prop the camera up to different heights. (a wheel chok works great). Total weight is enough to keep it from bouncing, but you can always secure with a ratcheting strap or bungee cord anchored to front seat mounting hardware.

Let me know if you want pics...

Quick Reply: Video Camera Mount - Not Rollbar *Help