Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S2: Track toy build questions - What to do with center console switches?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 944S2: Track toy build questions - What to do with center console switches?

Yep...I searched. Nada. What did you guys do with the left over switches for needed items (mirrors, locks, sunroof)? Those three are the las remaining switches. Are there some recommended heavy duty toggle switches that I can replace them with? Or...did you fabricate a custom panel to have the existing switches pop into place?

Any thoughts or solutions? I am thinking about fabricating a metal panel that will accept the switches. But I a open to finding a simpler method.

Here is a photo of the existing mounting plate form the center console.

C.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:34 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ditch the entire center console.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by M758
Ditch the entire center console.
That's my point. I want to fab up a panel. What did you do with the mirror switch, etc?

C.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:59 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
That's my point. I want to fab up a panel. What did you do with the mirror switch, etc?

C.
Garbage can.

You can adjust the mirrors by hand you know. Sunroof is fixed shut so that one went into the garbage can too.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:02 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ditched mine completely on the basis that I was never going to use any of them (i removed sunroof mechanism, power locks etc...)

I did think about fabricating a panel but was not worth adding the controls in the end

Here is my panel out of carbon fiber if you are interested (could easily add the switches if wanted)
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2008, 01:52 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to keep the console for PCA Stock rules. Adding this extra sub panel made life easy.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Giacomo
Pro

I'm in the same process on my 968 (although I have yet to start to remove the goo). When I removed the centre console I also wondered about the switches. How far back do you trace the wires to remove? or do you simply cut and tape? Will the electric locks still work with just the key? Does anything related to removing the wiring/switches create any electrical gremlins? I'm not even sure what all the switches are for...
Old 09-02-2008, 02:42 PM
DanR
Drifting

I did not cut the wires, I just simply wrapped them up and tied them up behing the new center console. Looks pretty neat and you can not see them at all.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:46 PM
timo944
Instructor

Chad,

I know that you don't plan on club racing, but think long and hard. It's hard to undo the changes you make!!! My recommendation is to ditch the center console, tuck the wires under the dash and zip tie them, but KEEP ALL OF THE PARTS.

As for the mirrors and roof, if you want to keep these workign you'll need to replace them with toggles, or keep the console.

tim
Old 09-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by timo944
Chad,

I know that you don't plan on club racing, but think long and hard. It's hard to undo the changes you make!!! My recommendation is to ditch the center console, tuck the wires under the dash and zip tie them, but KEEP ALL OF THE PARTS.

As for the mirrors and roof, if you want to keep these workign you'll need to replace them with toggles, or keep the console.

tim
Thanks Tim...exactly the reason why I want to keep them. It simply makes sense. Any suggestions on which toggle switches to buy and where? Admittedly, I am not an electronics guru. But, I would like to sort this out simply but properly.

As for the console - it's gone. It is really amazing how much carpet and padding is really in there. As a result of removing it, the console overhangs on each side of the tunnel by about 2"+. So keeping it is out. Overall...I think the car will be prepped to NASA 944SuperCup specs. Or at least will not take much to get it there when I have completed my portion.

C.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:56 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pretty much did what DanR did.

I installed Longacre switch panel with main power toggle, push button start, and two aux toggles for transponder and Traqmate power. Mounted the Traqmate display below the switch panel.

Definitely ditch the whole console surround if you can.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

FYI - You can cannabalize old 911/993/964 window switches and use the bezels to install in alum. panel or CF panel, it keeps more of a stock look if that is what you are going for. Me personally ? No sunroof, what door lock button, and manual adjust mirrors. We don't need no stinkin extra switches
Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by onefastviking
FYI - You can cannabalize old 911/993/964 window switches and use the bezels to install in alum. panel or CF panel, it keeps more of a stock look if that is what you are going for. Me personally ? No sunroof, what door lock button, and manual adjust mirrors. We don't need no stinkin extra switches
Parts reference or photos?

C.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:05 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chads996
Parts reference or photos?

C.
Not at the shop now where I can take a picture but I will tomorrow for you. If you compare the older 911 switch you can see that you can dismantle it and reinstall the 944 switches in it's place then use that bezel to mount it in your panel. The picture may make it easier to understand. It's best to find some older switches that are not good anymore because then you don't have the expense of killing a new switch.
The 996 GTS3 I built we did this with for a couple of switches that we couldn't, or didn't want to, live without.
Look for pics tomorrow,
Viking
Old 09-03-2008, 04:27 PM
timo944
Instructor

I used switches from NAPA. Brand doesn"t matter unless you're a poser!

tim

Quick Reply: 944S2: Track toy build questions - What to do with center console switches?