Sponsored by:

Spec 944?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Drewsifer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec 944?

Hey there. I usually lurk over in the 944 technical discussion, but I had a question about racing. I've been trying for a few months to turn my much loved 944 into a Spec 944 racer. Unfortunately things haven't gone well and I've been spending all my money on just trying to keep it running. Grassroots Motorsports had a good bit of advice for people like me, 'Buy one that's already built'. That is starting to sound very appealing. Is this the way to go? Granted Spec 944's seem hard to find right now, but with a little looking I know I could get a good one. Thanks in advance!

Drew
Old 08-26-2008, 01:03 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking that 944 Cup is better than spec, there are more clubs that support it. There are two divisions; 944Cup for normal 944's, and 944SuperCup for 944 Turbos and S2's and 968's. It's all equalized by power:weight, and the grids are huge.
I'm just coming on board, there are others that know it all.
www.944cup.com
Old 08-26-2008, 01:03 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW, disregard my avatar on this topic, it's not even close!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:01 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's one option up for sale now, though it's a haul for you.

http://944spec.org/944SPEC/component...2107/catid,21/

Come by & visit the 944 Spec boards (the ad above is in the classifieds of that board).

It's virtually always cheaper to buy a racecar with a known history. If you want to do it yourself, make sure the donor is well maintained mechanically. Getting a nicer car, and the selling off the interior, etc. can help defray the cost.

As far as Spec vs. Cup, neither class has much presence near Texas yet, though Karl Zimmerman @ Applied Racing Technology in Texas has started building a Spec car with the intent of doing turn-key 944 Spec Cars. His website is here: http://appliedracingtechnology.com/ 944 Spec can race anywhere 944 Cup can, including in 944 Cup, and Spec fields are getting large in the West & Midwest, where Cup is big out East.

I'll keep an eye out for a car for you .
Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

What is your budget?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

There's a turnkey 944Cup car for sale at 44cup.com. There are usually two or three at any given time.

My long-ish term goal is to be racing, and 944Cup is strong in my area (Mid-Atlantic). I would never tackle converting a street car to racer use, but I will build up my 944 as a training platform (driver training and mechanic training); and when the time comes, I'll sell the street car and buy a race car. I just have to hope that the 944Cup stays strong for a few more years. It shows no signs of weakness so far; and the Spec E30 class seems to get combined with the 944s, filling out the fields.

Whether you build or buy depends on a three part formula with money, time and skill being the three parts. The more skill and time you have, the less money you need.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Here's one - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=426890
and another - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=426630
Old 08-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Drewsifer
Racer

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
As far as Spec vs. Cup, neither class has much presence near Texas yet, though Karl Zimmerman @ Applied Racing Technology in Texas has started building a Spec car with the intent of doing turn-key 944 Spec Cars. His website is here: http://appliedracingtechnology.com/ 944 Spec can race anywhere 944 Cup can, including in 944 Cup, and Spec fields are getting large in the West & Midwest, where Cup is big out East.

I'm actually closer to the Phoenix International Raceway and the Firebird than any track in Texas, but yeah there isn't a whole lot going on here. Thanks for that link though, I was just checking that car out last night!

The only problem with 944 Cup is that it doesn't look like it's made it anywhere near me yet. While someday I'll probably be back in the Midwest, for now I'm here. Spec 944 just seems like a very budget friendly and easy series to get started in. If a Spec car can run in Cup, is the reverse true as well? Because that could open a lot of options for buying. Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:36 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Cup is very popular on the coasts as both organizations are very well run. 944 Spec is popular in the Midwest, Colorado and on the Coasts.

There's a lot of talk about which is cheaper to build a 944 Cup or 944 Spec car - 944 Spec does not allow as much modifications (keeps the car closer to factory spec); thus is usually cheaper - but you can build a Cup car almost as cheaply - it all depends on how much money you want to spend.

If you can do most of the labor yourself you can build a car almost as cheaply as buying one - but in interests of time buying on is always going to be a much cheaper route and you can find them out there. Just the U Weld or Bolt In Auto Power cage costs $800 - plus $1k+ for a Spec suspension upgrade (I recommend you run a good suspension and not tired or worn out OEM on the donor car) to make the car consistent and easy to drive (not fighting it). Again Spec series suspension (Bilstein HD or Koni Sports only, can only upgrade to delrin bushings, etc.) is more limited as to what you can do versus in Cup (can install remote reservoir shocks, racer's edge control arms, spherical bearings, rear coilover setup, etc.)

There is another 944 series called Spec 944 and it only races in AZ region. I believe there are some fellows here who race it b/c it's popular there. There's some history between it and NASA's 944 Spec series though but I won't get into it b/c I likely don't have the full story.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:36 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know of a couple for sale in Phoenix area. I don't know the prices right now, but I figure somewhere between 7k to 12k.

Here is one
---
#20 Spec 944 car is for sale. New motor with zero hours, complete coil over suspension kit, autopower cage, Brembo rotors with Hawk pads, stainless brake lines, on board fire system, Shift light, 12 wheels, new net and belts, Sparco seat, too many new items to list. . All prepartation professionally done. Beautiful car inside and out. Well prepared and turn key ready to race. Please feel free to call with any questions. $8400 obo.
928-284-9425 (Bob Zimmerman)
------

I will look to see if there are any more. I believe their is at least 1 more.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
I'm thinking that 944 Cup is better than spec, there are more clubs that support it. There are two divisions; 944Cup for normal 944's, and 944SuperCup for 944 Turbos and S2's and 968's. It's all equalized by power:weight, and the grids are huge.
I'm just coming on board, there are others that know it all.
www.944cup.com
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2008, 01:47 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Amen, brother.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:33 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
There is another 944 series called Spec 944 and it only races in AZ region. I believe there are some fellows here who race it b/c it's popular there. There's some history between it and NASA's 944 Spec series though but I won't get into it b/c I likely don't have the full story.
I can give you all the lurid details, but for all intents and purposes they are both 944 spec class. One runs in NASA and the other runs in SCCA as a regional only class. They are 98% the same rules and many cars crossover. Again nothing to worry about, but if you see a car for sale in Arizona with an SCCA logbook this is where it came from.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Here's one option up for sale now, though it's a haul for you.

http://944spec.org/944SPEC/component...2107/catid,21/

Come by & visit the 944 Spec boards (the ad above is in the classifieds of that board).

It's virtually always cheaper to buy a racecar with a known history. If you want to do it yourself, make sure the donor is well maintained mechanically. Getting a nicer car, and the selling off the interior, etc. can help defray the cost.

I am working on building a 944 for the NASA GTS class here in Texas. If it goes as planned and is competitive like I think it will be I will be building more of them, I have two current customers already interested in what they have seen from my current build.
Viking
Old 08-26-2008, 08:13 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
There's a turnkey 944Cup car for sale at 44cup.com. There are usually two or three at any given time.

My long-ish term goal is to be racing, and 944Cup is strong in my area (Mid-Atlantic). I would never tackle converting a street car to racer use, but I will build up my 944 as a training platform (driver training and mechanic training); and when the time comes, I'll sell the street car and buy a race car. I just have to hope that the 944Cup stays strong for a few more years. It shows no signs of weakness so far; and the Spec E30 class seems to get combined with the 944s, filling out the fields.

Whether you build or buy depends on a three part formula with money, time and skill being the three parts. The more skill and time you have, the less money you need.
Greg-

Are you going to the Potomac event @ VIR in Sept?

We can run together if you want to see what a 944 SuperCup car is capable of ( Assuming a decent driver HA!).
My car is built to SuperCup specs but just needs a second door bar and net.
I'm instructing in Black if you want to go for a ride (and its allowed...) look me up (#81) Who knows I may be ready to sell mine when you want to buy one

Quick Reply: Spec 944?