Sponsored by:

helmet choices: Bell M4 vs Bell S2R vs HJC AR-10

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:11 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default helmet choices: Bell M4 vs Bell S2R vs HJC AR-10

Yep, a newbie asking about helmets again! I just attended my first DE, now I'm sliding down the slippery slope and ready to buy a helmet.

I used an open face at the DE and liked it, but want the protection of a full face. For that reason, the Bell S2R appeals to me. I'm also considering the Bell M4 and the HJC AR-10.

I'll be wearing contacts and sunglasses.
Here are my 3 choices... I welcome any and all opinions on these. Thanks!

Bell M4, Bell S2R, and HJC AR-10
Attached Images    
Old 08-25-2008, 07:31 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shannon;
While you're at it, check out Impact helmets. Low weight, good pricing, and an eye port that let's me get glasses on and off easily. If you want to check them out in person, JEGS has then in stock. FWIW, I replaced my Bell w/ one and am happy. The Bells are good stuff, but heavy unless you spend the big bucks.
BTW - Are you MOR? A good bunch of track addicts there.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tried them all on?

I find often that the people who fit Bell helmets often don't fit into HJC helmets.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:52 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aeshultz
Shannon;
While you're at it, check out Impact helmets. Low weight, good pricing, and an eye port that let's me get glasses on and off easily. If you want to check them out in person, JEGS has then in stock. FWIW, I replaced my Bell w/ one and am happy. The Bells are good stuff, but heavy unless you spend the big bucks.
BTW - Are you MOR? A good bunch of track addicts there.

Yep, I'm a member of MORPCA. You're right - good group. I just did my first DE at Mid Ohio. What a great track. For once, I'm lucky I live in central Ohio

Thanks for the advice on the Impact helmets. I have looked at them and like what I've seen. I'm just trying to narrow my list down at this point. I went to a local Jegs and they only had 2 sa2005 helmets. I'm having a hard time finding a way to try these on. Everyone who used to carry them is deferring to the internet. Hard to try on stuff.

The Bells do seem to weigh in heavier than most. That's the main reason I'm leaning towards the HJC.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:56 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Do yourself a favor a try'em on before you buy. I ordered once and even though I had taken the measurement 4 or 5 times, the helmet was too big. I like bell helmets but that's me. My next one will be carbon fibre.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Yep, a newbie asking about helmets again! I just attended my first DE, now I'm sliding down the slippery slope and ready to buy a helmet.

I used an open face at the DE and liked it, but want the protection of a full face. For that reason, the Bell S2R appeals to me. I'm also considering the Bell M4 and the HJC AR-10.

I'll be wearing contacts and sunglasses.
I was wearing contact also (Got zapped last year) I like the SR2 a visor does not make sence to me in a closed car and it seems comfortable and a good value.

That slippery slope will turn into a free fall soon :-)
Old 08-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In Ohio another place to checkout is TrueChoice. Not knowing the geography of the state very well I can't tell you how far away it is. I do know they have a trackside location at Mid-Ohio and their company location is Powell, OH.

As for visor/no visor it's all a personal preference in my mind. I have it because I'm open wheel for most of my racing right now. That being said the M4 is a great helmet for people who don't like to feel like the eyeport is limiting. I have the M2Pro (pretty much a previous version of M4) which has the same eyeport and really like how open it is. The M4 is the most popular helmet I sell by far.

As for fitment, HJC seems to fit people who also fit well into Arai helmets and not so much Bell.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

We are an authorized BELL dealer and do have some of the M4 and S2Rs in stock if you are interested in trying them. Located north of Pittsburgh, PA and about half hour from Beaverun off the PA Turnpike if you've been there before. Generally the more expensive helmets are lighter weight, more aerodynamic, better fitting, etc. Once you get your helmet, wear it for about 20-30 minutes while watching TV or something to make sure it fits OK. If you start getting headache or pressure points, it is probably too tight. But you do want the helmet to fit as tight as possible so there's a fine line. Any ??, let us know!

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 08-25-2008, 11:05 PM
dblapex
Instructor

The most important thing is comfort, even over weight. when in my BMW I love my bell sport M4, as it is very comfortable and has a wide eye port for sunglasses. In a DE environment in your car (based on avatar) the weight will not make a difference in a car that is making less a 1 G. When I am in the Radical I wear a Bell GTX with full aero that is about half the weight and three times the price, but you need it in a car that will pull over 2 G latteral and 4G in braking. My advice is get something comfortable and dont spend alot of money to save a little bit of weight, spend that extra money on registration fees!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:33 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

You are smart to get a full face helmet. I prefer one with a visor even though I leave it up. Thats me..

Cway27 is dead right. Try them ALL on.. There is no "right" helmet.. They ALL fit differently - even within the same brand. So try on different brands too. Go to a shop that has a BIG selection.

Bob from Stable Energies In NJ won my business for life when he stayed long after hours and made sure that I tried on every helmet he had for fit and comfort before letting buy my first one. Be sure to do that...
Old 08-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Ari 997TT
Instructor

I got a Bell S2R this year and have ben very happy with it. The eyeport is plenty wide to get my sunglasses on/off easily and peripheral vision is pretty good. I agree with the above guys, lower weight won't make too much of a difference at this point, so save the $$.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

I have the M4 Pro and it is real comfortable (for me at least), light and the eyeport is huge.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I needed a new helmet this year and wear eye glasses. I went with the Bell S2R and am very satisfied.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:17 AM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
As for fitment, HJC seems to fit people who also fit well into Arai helmets and not so much Bell.
I agree with that. The HJC doesn't feel right lower on my head, especially in the back. The mid-rangeHJC felt more comfortable than the low end one. A couple friends that have G-force helmets like HJCs more than Bells. I bought a Bell Sport 3 after trying on a bunch of helmets at OG Racing. The Sport 3 must either be overstocked or discontinued because I have seen them on sale for great prices a few places.

Quick Reply: helmet choices: Bell M4 vs Bell S2R vs HJC AR-10