Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   So you think you can read a dipstick (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/446570-so-you-think-you-can-read-a-dipstick.html)

bauerjab 08-04-2008 01:53 PM

So you think you can read a dipstick

At least I thought I did.

I have a 964 cup (need to change avatar)

After dumping and replacing significant amounts of oil, I get the same reading on the dipstick regardless of how much oil is in the car. The dipstick reads that the oil level is overfilled.

I concluded as well as the mechanics from Dougherty that there is oil in the dipstick tube. Car was not burning oil nor was any oil expelled out the breather.

Also, the needle on the idiot gauge does not register any oil in the car.

Any solutions short of dumping all the oil in the car and measuring what came out.

If the dipstick is filled with oil, any ideas on how to remove it?

Thanks.:surr::surr:

pat056 08-04-2008 01:59 PM

Are you allowing the car to warm up to operating temperature? This means running fairly hard for at least 20 minutes.
Then park on a level place and let the car idle for a minute. Check oil on the dipstick as the car is idling. Same for the guage. Idle for a minute, then check guage.
Sounds odd that both the guage and the dipstick would fail at the same time.
Bill Doughtery knows his stuff, though!!

bauerjab 08-04-2008 02:01 PM

Yes, of course the car was on level ground, was warmed up, etc.

Professor Helmüt Tester 08-04-2008 02:02 PM

I don't look at other guys dipsticks.

Geoffrey 08-04-2008 02:04 PM

The 964 dipsticks can be a pain, especially with new clean oil. Clean it with brake cleaner, especially the two notches and reread it. You'll find that on one side it will be oily over most of the stick as it must bend and touch the tube in some manner. The other side will be the side to read. The notches will help you as that is the easiest place to tell if there is oil or not.

bgiere 08-04-2008 02:05 PM

Try idling the car without the oil cap on and the dipstick out.

bgiere 08-04-2008 02:07 PM

...and then reinsert dipstick to try to get a reading.

bauerjab 08-04-2008 02:12 PM

Thanks - will try these things. The mechanics from Dougherty said they had never seen anything like this before.

And now the issue trying to warm the car up to temp withought the neighbors calling the police. I'll probably have to put the Lime Rock suit case on.

bauerjab 08-04-2008 02:15 PM

Also, there's a typo in the original thread. I know how to clean a dipstick. My question was how to get oil out of the dipstick tube.

With respect to Geoff's comment, there was an inconsistency between the two sides of the dipstick. So that may be the answer.

Vlocity 08-04-2008 03:02 PM

When you pull the dipstick place it on a colored shop towel and "look for the wet spot".

Much easier to get an accurate reading.....

Good luck,

Ken

TR6 08-04-2008 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vlocity (Post 5671348)
When you pull the dipstick place it on a colored shop towel and "look for the wet spot".

Much easier to get an accurate reading.....

Good luck,

Ken

I use a similar method also, but with a paper towel. My oil is always too clean to see very easily on the dipstick (guess maybe I should change it less often :D ). I end up triple and even quadruple checking it to be sure of what I'm seeing. Regarding warming the car up to where the thermostat opens, I usually don't have too much trouble doing that with just street driving unless it is a cold winter day. 107 here today, so cold days are just a faint memory right now...

I've heard someone suggest cutting some grooves in the dipstick to make the oil easier to see clinging to it. I've thought about trying that with a spare dipstick.

bauerjab 08-04-2008 03:44 PM

Let me clarify, there was absolutely no problem reading where the oil was. the problem was that even when I took out three quarts, the reading would be the same.

However, I think Geoff answered the question. Both sides of the dipstick did not read the same. One side was completely covered to overfill whereas the other side indicated that I needed oil.

kurt M 08-04-2008 03:49 PM

Bend the dipstick slightly so it does not follow the side of the tube.

rlm328 08-04-2008 05:29 PM

Stupid question and I know that it has probably been checked, but is it the correct dipstick?

todinlaw 08-04-2008 05:36 PM

I know there is an off color joke coming soon, who is going to go first.