Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about NASCAR and the heat in the car....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Looks to me like they need to not worry about A/C and concentrate more on teaching the guys how to drive! Anyone watch that Sears Point race? OMG, those guys drive like sh*t! There's less running into one another at a demolition derby! That ending was sooooo painful to watch. Don't believe we'll be seeing ANY of them in PCA racing any time soon.
I don't quite see it that way. Not to make this another "NASCAR or NASCRAP" thread, but many of these guys never "grew up" racing road courses and still don't feel comfortable doing so. Many others do a great job of wielding #3600 lb machines around at incredible speeds on a course with both left and RIGHT turns!

Also I doubt many of us have had the opportunity to run in a pack of 43 cars inches apart at 200mph on the banking of Daytona like your avatar shows.

Just different styles of having fun.

By the way: those electric A/C units go for about 6k if anyone wants to put one in their cars.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:16 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Looks to me like they need to not worry about A/C and concentrate more on teaching the guys how to drive! Anyone watch that Sears Point race? OMG, those guys drive like sh*t! There's less running into one another at a demolition derby! That ending was sooooo painful to watch. Don't believe we'll be seeing ANY of them in PCA racing any time soon.

Painful as a drover, but fun as a fan. 4th or 5th guy loses control and takes out the 2nd and 3rd place guys. Exciting! Very different than the usual races for those guys. Woulda sucked to have been in second for any stretch today.

Someone explain to me how they can throw in these "ringers" all the sudden? I supposed the qualified, but how's that help the usual driver under that number with points and all that. Bummer for JPL, that really sucked to get bumped out like that by the "one race wonder" as the pit crew put it.

Originally Posted by Chris L.

By the way: those electric A/C units go for about 6k if anyone wants to put one in their cars.

My car came with a/c!!
Old 06-22-2008, 10:19 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

993inNC - I respect you man. But.... Here we go again....

3400 lbs
narrow tires
small brakes (Relative to the weight of the car)
NO DOWNFORCE

I've seen Boris hit quite a few people out there in a Cup car, and he's suppose to be one of the best there are (and I believe he probably is one the best there are BTW). Put these guys in a GT3 cup and they'll keep up with PCA guys - no problem I'd guess... They MIGHT even pass a few of them...

Old 06-22-2008, 10:21 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith

3400 lbs
narrow tires
NO DOWNFORCE
So really the wrong tool for the application...
Old 06-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

3400 lbs
narrow tires
NO DOWNFORCE

I've seen Boris hit quite a few people out there in a Cup car, and he's suppose to be one of the best there are (and I believe he probably is one the best there are BTW). Put these guys in a GT3 cup and they'll keep up with PCA guys - no problem I'd guess... They MIGHT even pass a few of them...

+ Juan
Old 06-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Guys . . . if the ice in your cooler turns to water, you can always turn off the circulating pump before you circulate 98+ degree water . . .

Dell, I think it's a valid question.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:19 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

That's funny...no really it is. Sort of the way suggesting that Brian Urlacher isn't good enough for the local flag football league is funny. See it might take Brian awhile to get use to grabbing the flag instead of tackling...get it??

They struggle with a differnet type of racing in cars that aren't designed for that type of racing either. Same way the driver's from the "real forms of racing" struggle on the NASCAR ovals. By the way, the NASCAR guys often beat the "ringers" with the racing experience on the road course. If they drove that poorly, the ringers would win everytime.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:27 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F350Lawman

They struggle with a differnet type of racing in cars that aren't designed for that type of racing either. Same way the driver's from the "real forms of racing" struggle on the NASCAR ovals. By the way, the NASCAR guys often beat the "ringers" with the racing experience on the road course. If they drove that poorly, the ringers would win everytime.

The Friday truck racing is a fraud. It would be more honest if they had a tool box in the back and were randomly assigned a 4x8 sheet of plywood or a sack of concrete. Those aren't real trucks!

Old 06-22-2008, 11:38 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

Originally Posted by VaSteve
The Friday truck racing is a fraud. It would be more honest if they had a tool box in the back and were randomly assigned a 4x8 sheet of plywood or a sack of concrete. Those aren't real trucks!

Nah, it's a coupe w/ a loooong trunk more likely. Hey but they are trying to sell trucks, if the were trying to sell minivans, they could probably swap out the plastic body on that tube chasis in about 5 minutes
Old 06-22-2008, 11:41 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Guys . . . if the ice in your cooler turns to water, you can always turn off the circulating pump before you circulate 98+ degree water . . .
I have never had a problem with my cool suits but I have heard that if you stop it, the water in the suit gets really hot and uncomfortable. Not sure why, maybe it's like adding another layer of clothing that keeps the heat IN your body?
Old 06-23-2008, 12:25 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks.....? I think

3400 lbs
narrow tires
NO DOWNFORCE

To be fair, my car weights just about that much, my down force is.......? marginal?, brakes ....are mine bigger than a NASCAR car?
I think its more the drivers than the car. How much do these guys get paid and they drive like that?

I thought I'd get alot more backing here given the company...........man that bus is painful
Old 06-23-2008, 12:32 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F350Lawman
That's funny...no really it is. Sort of the way suggesting that Brian Urlacher isn't good enough for the local flag football league is funny. See it might take Brian awhile to get use to grabbing the flag instead of tackling...get it??

I would agree with that first comment (well I guess the whole premise of the response) except that this isn't the only road course NCar goes to, and I find it hard to believe there are that few road course races and practice prior to these events that they don't (or can't) do a better job. The race just looked very .....less than amateur to me. Maybe I've gotten to used to much more respectful racing. The reason I kept watching was because it really was the proverbial bad car wreck...........just had to see what it was and what was coming next. I mean I saw more passing attempts that ended up in hits or spins that clearly shouldn't have been tried, penalties would have been assessed in any other form of racing.

For me its like watching a baseball game where someone gets hit with a ball and it ends up clearing the benches and they all start fighting like a bunch of little children. Just not a good model for the sport is my point, same kinda applies to the topic at hand.
Just my .02 cents
Old 06-23-2008, 12:57 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

Yes, it is a little "rough and tumble" but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Comparing NASCAR to other forms of racing is sort of like comparing Eueopean hockey or basketball and the American versions of those sports...we're...uh....much more physical.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:14 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks.....? I think

To be fair, my car weights just about that much, my down force is.......? marginal?, brakes ....are mine bigger than a NASCAR car?(
3400# Chris?

Besides, we have seen you drive!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:50 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

5 yrs ago, I worked pit lane at homestead (winston cup (400) race at time), mark martin's #6 had a refrigration setup.. for driver..

I never saw it hooked up, but asked crew what all that stuf was (wrapped in foil)... didn't see any other cars using that. at time...

-so some use it.

Quick Reply: Question about NASCAR and the heat in the car....