Sponsored by:

rain tire theory

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:24 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts
Default rain tire theory

For you guys racing in the rain with dedicated rain race tires like the hoosier dot sports car rains, if you were buying a second set of wheels would you buy and run the same size wheel and tire you would in the dry? In the snow on streets a narrower tire often outperformed a wider tire. What happens in the rain? Narrower still better?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run my Hoosiers on the same size wheels because #1 it is what Hoosier recommends and #2 it is what I have. I am limited to the same overall tire sizes due to availability. I do not know if pinching the tire on a somewhat narrower rim will have any measureable affect on it's contact width.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:07 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Narrower is better with a lot of water. My Goodyear rains - same labeled size as the slicks - are narrower at the tread. The challenge you get with real rains is as the track dries - the rains are a very soft compound (at least full-on racing rain tires) and will not last when heated on a dry track. In that situation, wider helps keep the temps down.

I would guess an inch or two narrower at the tread is good but much more is a problem. Because of the deep grooves (and pattern) along with a very soft compound, true rain tires have amazing grip in the wet.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 173 Posts

I had a set of 16" rims that came with my car that were 1" smaller diameter than the 18" wheels my R6's are mounted on. I run 225/255 Wets on them vs. 245/275 Dry R6's. Seems to work well.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:39 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob Woodman from Woodman Tire recommended I go with a narrower tire for rains, the theory being they would move more water away from under the tire quicker.
My Hoosier Tires sizes:
Dry- Front 245 Rear 275
Wet- Front 225 rear 245
I amazed at how well my car sticks in the rain.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I had a set of 16" rims that came with my car that were 1" smaller diameter than the 18" wheels my R6's are mounted on. I run 225/255 Wets on them vs. 245/275 Dry R6's. Seems to work well.
+1
Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Narrower is better with a lot of water. My Goodyear rains - same labeled size as the slicks - are narrower at the tread. The challenge you get with real rains is as the track dries - the rains are a very soft compound (at least full-on racing rain tires) and will not last when heated on a dry track. In that situation, wider helps keep the temps down.

I would guess an inch or two narrower at the tread is good but much more is a problem. Because of the deep grooves (and pattern) along with a very soft compound, true rain tires have amazing grip in the wet.
^ +1, at least in karting.
You will also adjust tire pressure depending on how much water is on the track.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:29 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
^ +1, at least in karting.
You will also adjust tire pressure depending on how much water is on the track.
oh, I didn't even think about tire pressures. Any comments on you you find that sweet spot? Do you still use a pyrometer or manufacturer settings? It is hard to get rain experience.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
oh, I didn't even think about tire pressures. Any comments on you you find that sweet spot? Do you still use a pyrometer or manufacturer settings? It is hard to get rain experience.
Pyrometers are pretty worthless for rain tires, at least at our levels. I start with a higher cold pressure - usually about half way between normal cold and desired hot. Part of the strategy is that you won't get as much heat. The other part is you want good separation of the tread that comes with higher pressures.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry I have no experience with rain tires/pressures on my Cup car....haven't driven in 2 years and may never drive it again.....

On karts (Bridgestone YKP tires FWIW), the pressure difference can be almost 2:1.
25psi in absolute full wet/torrential conditions, 15psi in wet/damp conditions.

As mentioned, it has to do with heat/pressure rise and also contact patch.

Another curious thing about karting (my son LOVES karting in the rain, odd kid I know) is the gearing changes and wheel changes. (I'll skip the chassis changes, seat position changes, alignment changes, yadayada.....it's amazing how much stuff you have to change in 15 minutes if they declare a wet race)

We will almost always go up 3-4 teeth in the rear (compensates for lower cornering speeds/lower RPMs) and some people will switch from magnesium rims (almost always used with slicks) to aluminum rims...the theory being aluminum holds the heat better than magnesium.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:14 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on size being slightly narrower- +1 - 17 " wheel dia. vs dry @ 18" and +1 on higher pressures.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:00 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Judging from what the pros use as rain tires, width must depend on the aggressiveness of the tread pattern. Look at how wide the rain tires are on pro cars (ALMS, Grand Am, etc). They seem to use full width or very close to it. But their rains also have very aggressive tread patterns (wide and deep channelling to flow lots of water). I would think that narrower treaded tires outperforming wideer ones probably happens when the tread patterns are more like "standard" road tires.

Scott

Quick Reply: rain tire theory