Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Helmet eyeport sizes (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/427437-helmet-eyeport-sizes.html)

Sunshine 05-01-2008 01:18 AM

Helmet eyeport sizes

I'm trying to decide on my first helmet. I'll get a good one as I'm sure I don't want to be uncomfortable at the track. Thinking of the Arai G5-K, G5-W. Also the Bell M3 or M4. Which is the more commonly chosen model? Also should my visor be tinted or clear?

mooty 05-01-2008 01:26 AM

if you never wore helmet before (especially if you wear glasses) get wider eyeport (GP5-W).

as far as arai vs bell, try them on. some helmets fit certain head shapes better.

race911 05-01-2008 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by mooty (Post 5368348)
if you never wore helmet before (especially if you wear glasses) get wider eyeport (GP5-W).

as far as arai vs bell, try them on. some helmets fit certain head shapes better.

Ditto. One of mine IS a 5W, and it's the best fitting helmet I've had in 25 years. But it may NOT be for you.......

ApexPerformance 05-01-2008 01:47 AM

Helmets

Arai G5-K and the BELL M3 have narrower eyeports.

Arai G5-W and Bell M4 have larger eyeports.

My old helmet was a bell M2 (similar to the new Bell M4) with larger eyeport; however, I switched to an Arai GP5K and the smaller eyeport doesn't bother me - but I don't wear glasses either.

Definitely try them on if you can - the Arai helmets do fit differently than Bell.

If you get a helmet with a wide eyeport, you can always wear sunglasses if it's too bright or sunny out. Some customers tend to keep a tinted shield on hand and switch them out depending on what time of day they are driving.

Both Arai and Bell are great brands - good luck!

Sunshine 05-01-2008 02:05 AM

No one sells helmets near me that I know of. Long shot but I wear a size 71/4 Stetson. Can anyone tell me what size that would be in a helmet?

ApexPerformance 05-01-2008 02:30 AM

We have a page on our site outlining helmet sizes - you can also visit the manufacturer's site directly - sizing runs different among the brands.

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...lmetsizing.asp

C.J. Ichiban 05-01-2008 02:40 AM

I really like the wider eyeport of my Arai 5-w

Geoffrey 05-01-2008 09:32 AM

I have the narrow eyeport Arai GP5k and wear glasses. I'd prefer the wider eyeport, but it hasn't been more than a minor annoyance. The Arai interior seems to be better built and last longer than the Bell.

Circuit Motorsports 05-01-2008 09:38 AM

Where do you live?

Helmet fit is pretty personal.

I love my Bell Helmets. I have 3. I really like Arai helmets but they just don't fit.

As for eyeport size. I have a narrow one for open wheel. Wide one for closed cockpit. Open face for coaching.

Just to answer your question about most common helmets. The Bell M4 and the GP5K are possibly my top 2 sellers. I'd have to check but if they aren't they are definitely in the top 5.

As for tinited visors. I almost always use a tinted visor. I only switch to a clear visor is when it's raining.

Bull 05-01-2008 09:44 AM

My M3 Xtra has a narrow eyeport, but I can wear large aviator style sunglasses with it. I would prefer a larger eyeport, but couldn't find one in a helmet that fit properly.

Flying Finn 05-01-2008 09:54 AM

I currently have Bell M3 and prefer smaller eyeports (smaller the better) a'la F1 style and it never bothers me but I don't wear glasses so I'm not sure if it would bother me.

I have clear & tinted (blue iridium) visor but basically always use the tinted visor. If it's night or really bad weather then you need the clear but otherwise the tinted is better. I always have the visor down but slightly cracked open if it's really hot.
I've never understood those who wear sunglasses with their helmets.

RonCT 05-01-2008 10:05 AM

Have both M3 (older) and M4 with Hans and there's really not much difference in eyeport size. I like them both and are fine with glasses.

Bull 05-01-2008 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Flying Finn (Post 5368794)
I've never understood those who wear sunglasses with their helmets.

I can't find prescription visors.

Flying Finn 05-01-2008 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bull (Post 5368836)
I can't find prescription visors.

There you go! I though it would be better to wear glasses and tinted visor but I can see someone to prefer that.

angelo1404 05-01-2008 11:28 AM

I have a Bell BR-1. Large eye port, very nice.
You must try the helmets on before making a purchase. Huge differences in fit, feel and weight between the manufacturers.
Pricing is also a factor. Arai is $$$$, Bell is reasonable, Pyrotect and G Force are relatively inexpensive.
Good luck! Remember, try them on first!