Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skip Barber: Laguna Seca or Watkins Glen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:40 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Skip Barber: Laguna Seca or Watkins Glen?

I am currently planning on doing the three-day racing school with Skip Barber later this year, and am trying to decide on the location. As I'm sure you can guess from the title of this thread, I am trying to decide between Laguna Seca and Watkins Glen.

While I've had enough experience at Watkins Glen PCA DEs to at least know the basics of the place, I've never driven Laguna Seca, except in video games. Nevertheless, given the high profile of Laguna Seca, I've always wanted to drive on the track.

So, I'd appreciate any advice you might have on which track I should take my three-day racing school course. I feel that I might be able to fine tune my skills more at Watkins Glen (where I have experience) versus Laguna Seca, where I'd spend at least my first (or even second) day just learning the basics of the course. But given that I live on the east coast, this might be my singular opportunity (at least for the near future) to drive at Laguna Seca. Where do I go?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:05 AM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never done Watkins Glen, but I did do my Skip Barber 3 day school at Laguna Seca and it was incredible. Monterey is also a nice place to stay with things to do and good places to eat at.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:09 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1^. I did the school in L.S. can not beat the location and the track is not too bad either. Stay a little longer and golf or just relax. At W.G. I guess you can take an IBM tour.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:11 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuenfer
I've never driven Laguna Seca, except in video games. Nevertheless, given the high profile of Laguna Seca, I've always wanted to drive on the track.
Nuff said...when else would you drive LS?

I did several Skippy Schools there and it's in my backyard. Had a great time.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:37 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You might want to also check this thread out...

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/416865-skippy-school-location-recommendations.html

BTW, the SB 3-day racing school cars are set up to have very little grip so that you're forced to learn how to use your senses and develop the skills (threshold braking, rotating the car with trail braking, double-clutching, etc. The result is that Laguna Seca would not represent as much of a learning curve as you might imagine... you're at the limit with the car before you're at the limit with the track.

One of the ALMS Flying Lizard principals (and co-driver for Car #44) Lonnie Pechnick is an occasional instructor at Laguna Seca. Nice guy (and races a Porsche).
Old 04-08-2008, 01:39 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
At W.G. I guess you can take an IBM tour.
Hmmm... IBM tour, or Monterey Aquarium... touch choice.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

But who has the better local wine?

I would rather drive the Glen in Monterey!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 AM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was in the same boat as you last summer. I did my 3 day at Laguna Seca and it comes with my highest recommendation. The track is awesome, the area is awesome, and I had a blast. The learning curve on the track isn't too steep because you will go over the track in the classroom and you get plenty of track time. Plus, it's Laguna Seca... as an east coaster how many opportunities are you going to have to drive it? Television does no justice to the corkscrew. It's like jumping off a cliff. Either way, you will enjoy the three day and learn a ton.

Mazda MX 5 or the Formula?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the opportunity to spend some time at Laguna Seca (I would love a chance to go back). You will enjoy that track and the surrounding area, and I would add a couple of days to the trip and spend them in SF.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:06 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I'm gonna do the skippy LS school later this year and really look forward to turn 9.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:19 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Phil, definetly Laguna Seca, I can't believe you are even asking!........
Old 04-08-2008, 11:30 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm gonna do the skippy LS school later this year and really look forward to turn 9.
C.J., yep, that's a much more exhilarating turn than the corkscrew. (It's the LS version of ricochet )
Watch out for T3 as well... easy to early-apex, and that's where most of those Formula Dodge cars seem to go off.

I expect that you will have no problem beating my time of 1:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozTrRZhBNB8
Old 04-08-2008, 11:32 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, that's it -- I'm going to do the school at Laguna Seca. Thanks for all the advice, guys!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:06 PM
4ng crcs
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

cj...

that is the turn to look forward to... after you get thru the corkscrew turn nine is the downhill lefthand sweeper that is a real buttclincher (at least for me) with the camber going away at trackout.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:21 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4ng crcs
cj...

that is the turn to look forward to... after you get thru the corkscrew turn nine is the downhill lefthand sweeper that is a real buttclincher (at least for me) with the camber going away at trackout.
... and if you hit it right, be prepared for 10, it comes at you pretty fast.

Quick Reply: Skip Barber: Laguna Seca or Watkins Glen?