Sponsored by:

Critique my VIR vid please (be gentle)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dell, welcome to the sidelines, at least where these "critique my driving please" threads are concerned. I learned long ago that many who request a "critique" actually want applause.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:59 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Dell, welcome to the sidelines, at least where these "critique my driving please" threads are concerned. I learned long ago that many who request a "critique" actually want applause.
Those who know me know that I am pretty sincere, and that I am actually very interested in driving theory and data. If I wanted to be direct and insulting, I would have done so. I can't understand how my posts in this thread can be read as sarcastic and full of snide comments.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's some recent video of my driving. Please take a look and tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGKzlt6jP_c
Old 03-26-2008, 04:05 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Here's some recent video of my driving. Please take a look and tell me what you think

Excellent driving. Your rock!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Excellent driving. Your rock!
Thanks, you couldn't be more right.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:07 PM
wanna911
Race Car

You did say that it sounded like I was coasting and/or using maintenance throttle and yes I did respond that it's partially the video that makes it sound that way as you cant really hear the car at all in the lower rpm ranges.

I chalked that off to the video. But thanks anyways.

I think a lot of what I've said has been taken out of context and misunderstood. I simply wanted pointers on where I could be smoother, more accurate, and faster in that order, and for the most part Dell's post covered all of it. But there are some areas I was willing to sacrifice time for safety, and in the end, it's my decision to make.

But I love detailed track talk, however there has to be room allowed for variances in opinions, that's all I ask.

I will say this, in a car that has power understeer, the condition of your tires can play a much bigger role in variances of your line. As tires lose grip and you begin to push more, the line can change more than would a car that doesnt have this issue. You have to slow, lift and rotate the car more as opposed to a more solid arc of continuous speed. Randy Pobst was at a recent Barber PCA event and he said the best way to take a slow corner is slow, and if you're going slower, the obvious direction IMO is decreasing the distance traveled through the turn. So I put this into practice in my own way which is why I took the tighter line in turn 1, combined that with the setup for turn 3 and I didnt lose any time to many people in this section. I'm an aggressive driver, but I know when to keep it safe and I know my limits, and my car. Not all things apply to every kind of car either, as has been brought up in this thread.

As for early turn in, it's safe in a car to have to coast through a turn after apexing earlier to make the turn, as the added input makes for understeer, not oversteer in my car. I'll always start my lines tighter and move out as I get more comfortable. Maybe not the way some people will, but it works and is safe for me. Missing apexes, trying to fight to stay on the track promotes oversteer as is evident in }{'s video. So while your point may be theoretically correct, my video vs his says otherwise to me. Missed apexs and late turn ins have been far more dangerous from what I've seen and experienced. And this is what I meant in terms of my style, I wont change what has kept me safe because of this thread. I didnt mean any offense by it, but it's the truth.

So as long as we can talk about this like men without people getting all sensitive if they are not agreed with, I say on with the show.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:09 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by wanna911
You did say that it sounded like I was coasting and/or using maintenance throttle and yes I did respond that it's partially the video that makes it sound that way as you cant really hear the car at all in the lower rpm ranges.

I chalked that off to the video. But thanks anyways.

I think a lot of what I've said has been taken out of context and misunderstood. I simply wanted pointers on where I could be smoother, more accurate, and faster in that order, and for the most part Dell's post covered all of it. But there are some areas I was willing to sacrifice time for safety, and in the end, it's my decision to make.

But I love detailed track talk, however there has to be room allowed for variances in opinions, that's all I ask.

I will say this, in a car that has power understeer, the condition of your tires can play a much bigger role in variances of your line. As tires lose grip and you begin to push more, the line can change more than would a car that doesnt have this issue. You have to slow, lift and rotate the car more as opposed to a more solid arc of continuous speed. Randy Pobst was at a recent Barber PCA event and he said the best way to take a slow corner is slow, and if you're going slower, the obvious direction IMO is decreasing the distance traveled through the turn. So I put this into practice in my own way which is why I took the tighter line in turn 1, combined that with the setup for turn 3 and I didnt lose any time to many people in this section. I'm an aggressive driver, but I know when to keep it safe and I know my limits, and my car. Not all things apply to every kind of car either, as has been brought up in this thread.

As for early turn in, it's safe in a car to have to coast through a turn after apexing earlier to make the turn, as the added input makes for understeer, not oversteer in my car. I'll always start my lines tighter and move out as I get more comfortable. Maybe not the way some people will, but it works and is safe for me. Missing apexes, trying to fight to stay on the track promotes oversteer as is evident in }{'s video. So while your point may be theoretically correct, my video vs his says otherwise to me. Missed apexs and late turn ins have been far more dangerous from what I've seen and experienced. And this is what I meant in terms of my style, I wont change what has kept me safe because of this thread. I didnt mean any offense by it, but it's the truth.

So as long as we can talk about this like men without people getting all sensitive if they are not agreed with, I say on with the show.
The only one who has been sensitive in this thread is you.

I never said you had to agree with me. In fact, I came out and said numerous times that I am not always correct.

I flatly disagree with the way you think about the driving theory we are discussing, but I do not need you to agree with me.

I just tried to explain in greater detail my point, which is an effort to be helpful. You are welcome.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:10 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Glad I dont fit in that category.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:13 PM
wanna911
Race Car

The only one who has been sensitive in this thread is you.

Is that right?

Ok, then, we were taught by different people with different techniques. Just ignore my critique and keep doing what you are doing.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:14 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Ok, then, we were taught by different people with different techniques. Just ignore my critique and keep doing what you are doing.

Is that right TD?
Yes, this statement, like all the other statements in this thread, is 100% correct. You should not have read it sarcastically.

I am not sure where the failure to communicate here is. I said EXACTLY what I meant. I don't think I know it all, and maybe you have been taught something different that I haven't learned yet.

So, of course you are free to ignore my critique. That doesn't mean you subsequently need to be rude and fail to recognize someone trying to be helpful.

It is baffling to me that you try to use a very straightforward statement like that as evidence that I was being sensitive, sarcastic or snide. I said in my very first post that "I am no Senna" In fact, I am not even Dell. (now, that WAS a joke meant to give DELL a hard time, not YOU before we roll into a whole other misunderstanding).
Old 03-26-2008, 04:18 PM
wanna911
Race Car

What person do you know has no input of their own in their driving, and doesnt borrow from several different sources, not to mention their own personal experience, that's ususally made up of combinations of advice they've gotten?

I dont know any.

So because I disagreed on one thing it became "just ignore my critique", yet you still posted several more posts in this thread I started when you could have just as easily started a new one.

Like I said, I dont play games. So let's either squash this and move on to track talk, or be done with it altogether.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:20 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Main Entry: critique
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): cri·tiqued; cri·tiqu·ing
Date: 1751

: to examine critically : to review ("critique the plan")
lemme get this straight...

wannabe is not very fast?
he wants a critique of his lap to get faster? (why else, right?)
receives it and then some, but is upset about it?

lmao. nice goin' guys. you were too damn helpful!!

maybe the title should've been "praise my vir vid"?

most people would be happy that they receive ADVICE on how to fix their problems IN ADDITION TO receiving the critique.that.they.asked.for.

if you don't want, or need, the advice, and simply trully just want the critique:
you're not very smooth,
nor consistent,
nor precise w/ your turn in's,
nor do you maximize the turn radius,
nor use throttle correctly,
nor take friendly advice and consider it.

you seem to have a response and excuse for everything pointed out to you. "oh i didn't wanna push it there", "well car kept getting loose so i had a tighter line through hogpen", "umm, it's my first time here so i don't think i should've been trying that"... it's one after another. if you have a reason for all the issues pointed out to you, and if you KNOW you would be doing it differently if all those issues (such as crappy tires) weren't there, then why bother asking for a critique?

unless you want help on how to drive ON crappy tires that keep breaking away. if that's the case, you should be WIDENING your turns, NOT TIGHTENING them up. this will put less side load on the car and also allow you to get on the throttle sooner...
Old 03-26-2008, 04:21 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356

Looks like you turned in a little to early, but your real problem is not enough air.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:24 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

What person do you know has no input of their own in their driving, and doesnt borrow from several different sources, not to mention their own personal experience, that's ususally made up of combinations of advice they've gotten?

I dont know any.

So because I disagreed on one thing it became "just ignore my critique", yet you still posted several more posts in this thread I started when you could have just as easily started a new one.

Like I said, I dont play games. So let's either squash this and move on to track talk, or be done with it altogether.
You didn't disagree on just one thing. You flatly dismissed what I said. Which was FINE and which is why I said: "Ok, then, we were taught by different people with different techniques. Just ignore my critique and keep doing what you are doing. "

Then, someone pointed out to me, in an e-mail, that perhaps I had misread your thinking, and that you would appreciate a further exchange on that point. I thought they might be right (i.e., that you might have wanted a further discussion) since you suggested that you thought I was being sensitive. In other words, it seemed like you were saying "don't be sensitive, just because I don't agree doesn't mean it isn't a fair topic for discussion." So I tried to provide you with what I thought was topical and useful information. Only in your last post did I realize that, not only did you not appreciate the information, you thought it was irrelevant.

Here is exactly what I said to you:

Ok, wanna, one of my friends e-mailed me and suggested that a further explanation of my original point may be helpful, and that you might take it the way I meant it, as a helpful discussion. So here goes. I mean this as peer-to-peer discussion, not as if I think I am great and talking down to you or anyone else. I do not, I assure you. Also, these are general comments, and there are always exceptions, but hear me out.

EDITED TO REMOVE SUBSTANTIVE CONTENT

I sincerely hope you and others find this further explanation helpful. I have not made one snide comment to you, and the only reason I took a break to write this out was to add to the conversation in a positive way. Ok, that's not entirely true, I am hiding from my kids who are all on sugar highs.

P.S. I would never give someone a hard time if they want to learn and are willing to take criticism. It is hard not to have a little fun with people who seem to think too much of themselves at all levels of driving (this comment was not directed at you or anyone in particular). This is all supposed to be fun.
I don't know how I could have made my intent to be helpful more clear, and why the content was relevant to the discussion. I don't expect you to take my suggestions as Gospel, but I would at least expect a simple "Thank you for taking the time to provide the feedback I requested." You went out of your way to make it clear that you were not thanking me for anything. It seems like you have some preconceived opinion about me. That's too bad. But in the end I guess it really doesn't matter. I am beginning to understand why some of the veterans around here just don't bother responding at all.

Last edited by TD in DC; 03-26-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:25 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at least where these "critique my driving please" threads are concerned. I learned long ago that many who request a "critique" actually want applause.
Originally Posted by }{arlequin
maybe the title should've been "praise my vir vid"?
lol

Quick Reply: Critique my VIR vid please (be gentle)