Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Critique my VIR vid please (be gentle)

Old 03-22-2008, 11:39 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dez ... dont let it affect your judgement.... you are much smarter than that... for day at VIR i would say pretty damn awesome job... i Know a lot of the folks around the forums and i know and saw them when they first hit VIR... it is a very technical track that takes a lot of seat time to grasp all of it..... i really think you did well! take the info process it and throw away the BS .... ya know what i mean..

Matt
Old 03-23-2008, 12:31 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Originally Posted by LVDell
Between T1 and T2 you need to unwind ALOT MORE. You are pinching the right side of the track and scrubbing alot of speed that way

NASCAR justry to be more smooth, line seems to be just about right but maybe turn in a bit sooner.

5A you keep turning in too early. Hesitate a fraction more and snake will be a breeze.

T7 (entrance to the esses) way TOO EARLY on turn in. Later turn in, stay left and then shoot through to the top at almost a straight line while ON THROTTLE. Quick lift before turn in to T9 and back on it to settle the nose. You line turning in so early causes ALOT of steering input so you end up fighting the esses all the way to the top. Also let the car drift out a bit at T9 track out. Pinching it scrubs alot of speed.

Turn in to the apex a touch sooner for Southbend.

If you are going to take the racing line into T14 and T14a you need to trailbrake otherwise you are really killing speed here. If you do not feel comfortable trailing those two corners then take the "DE" line as you will be able to carry more speed.

And of course you already knew, USE MORE TRACK! Especially through Hogpen.

The reason you kept breaking away is that you were not unwinding the wheel in many places you tried to get on the throttle.

Stay OFF the gators. clip them in some places (just a few inches) but don't HIT them or run over them. They are VERY unsettling to the car.

Lastly, you really need to work on your gearing. Sounds like your motor is bogging down alot. There are alot of trackout positions that you are in 3rd when you need to be in 2nd.

Here is two laps I ran last year with a good friend of mine when I set my two fastest lap times to date then (206.1 and 207.0). Since then I have run consistently in the 204's and 205's. Hopefully though you can get some idea of what I was talking about by watching these two laps.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...89751193732288
hey dell, i too was there with it being my 1st time at VIR. which turns would be better for 2nd gear besides coming out of oak tree?
Old 03-23-2008, 12:42 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Jenk...

in your car turn one would a good place for second ...
also turn 4 but it is a quick shift to 3rd... just keeps the revs up that way...
if you miss it you end up actually going slower through the flat esses..
i hit 2nd at the top of the roller coaster in the gt3"s... my cup car this was 3rd gear but my gearing was low

i will be down to see you guy this summer you can give me the heads up at RA !!!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 12:46 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

oh and i completely disagree with a blanket statement of staying off gators with out knowing a cars set up.. my 996 gt3 would unsettle on the gators at the esses... my gt2 there is no issue with hitting them ... in fact i went through faster on power though them...

im sure Dell was speaking of a stock suspension
Old 03-23-2008, 02:11 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
oh and i completely disagree with a blanket statement of staying off gators with out knowing a cars set up.. my 996 gt3 would unsettle on the gators at the esses... my gt2 there is no issue with hitting them ... in fact i went through faster on power though them...

im sure Dell was speaking of a stock suspension
+1
Even some cars with stock suspension.

I just love it how everyone is an expert around here

Like Matt said - learn from some of the good pointers and ignore the BS.
Ask for a pro drivers help if you can get a chance to do so. I know he will give you FAR better advice than any SELF PROCLAIMED expert here. I am definitely not saying they all don't know anything, but when they come across like they are so much better than anything you can do, move on to some guys who have a little humility in their approach to instruction - unless they truly are PROs. And have a little humility in listening to advice - just as you have shown. We all can learn/help each other when it's done in the correct manner.
I will be at RA this coming weekend for the PCA Club race. Never been there before. Will you and Jenk be around to give me some pointers?
By the way, nice meeting you guys. jenk seems to be pretty down to earth for a pro sports player. I didn't get to talk with you guys much after meeting you in my garage Thursday night. Maybe next time.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:01 AM
jenk12m
Banned

thanks matt for the nice words. i will be there at road atlanta so i will be sure to find you. what car will you be driving next weekend
Old 03-23-2008, 03:03 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Jenk...

in your car turn one would a good place for second ...
also turn 4 but it is a quick shift to 3rd... just keeps the revs up that way...
if you miss it you end up actually going slower through the flat esses..
i hit 2nd at the top of the roller coaster in the gt3"s... my cup car this was 3rd gear but my gearing was low

i will be down to see you guy this summer you can give me the heads up at RA !!!!!
thanks for the advice matt, i will definitely try that the next time i make it back to VIR. let me know when you come down to RA
Old 03-23-2008, 09:00 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
This is the internet man, I asked for some constructive criticism which I think I've taken very well and agreed with. That doesnt mean I'm going to change my driving style because some guy on the internet says so. As long as I can be fast and safe, I'll learn at my own pace. I take the knowledge I've gained here and will put it to use, but there is no need to be so sensitive.
No sensitivity on my part. I already said that I personally find videos fairly hard to judge unless they are showing really obvious bonehead errors, and that I am no Senna. I cannot imagine a more direct way of saying that I do not think I know it all, and that my advice, while offered to be helpful, may not be the only way to do things. Rather than remain silent, I nonetheless gave you my constructive criticism, which I still think is probably correct. You responded by telling me I am not right and explaining why you drive the way you drive. Ok, well, I still do not understand your reasoning behind your choice to drive that way, but I don't see the point in talking about it further because your explanation makes it sound like you are pretty wedded to your way and that you don't give much credibility to my comments, which is probably a wise thing since I am no Senna. So, I said keep on keeping on with zero sensitivity on my part. Would you rather that I brag about my knowledge or argue the point? No, maybe some of the better drivers will read and weigh in. That will be more helpful to you anyway.

P.S. Like Matt said, good job for your first time to VIR. When I said that I found your video hard to critique it was because there were no bonehead newbie gigantic errors, which is a great thing. I just didn't take the next step and say good job. So, good job.

Last edited by TD in DC; 03-23-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:26 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
hey dell, i too was there with it being my 1st time at VIR. which turns would be better for 2nd gear besides coming out of oak tree?
I think Matt pretty much covered it. 2nd coming out of T1, T4, Oak Tree, and T14a.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:27 AM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Dez ... dont let it affect your judgement.... you are much smarter than that... for day at VIR i would say pretty damn awesome job... i Know a lot of the folks around the forums and i know and saw them when they first hit VIR... it is a very technical track that takes a lot of seat time to grasp all of it..... i really think you did well! take the info process it and throw away the BS .... ya know what i mean..

Matt
+1

I'm certainly not an expert, but you looked damn good to me considering you had not been to VIR before. Try going down to 2nd gear in T1, T4 and T14 next time you are there, you might find it faster with street car gearing. Good job Dez!

BTW...a while ago Matt C. (930man) and I spent some time with Spencer Pompelli and one of the things we noticed was he left at least a tire width on track out of South Bend but was still crazy fast through there. He said he just liked to have room to spare...

I guess the point is...do what works for you and your car/comfort level but keep an open mind to try new things.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:33 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

happy Easter folks! its all good when put into perspective .... its all just a game
Old 03-23-2008, 09:58 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
So now my lap times are in question? LOL. That's irrelevant to the topic, but yes I do have a traqmate and the files to back it up. You also seem to forget that this is only a few laps from the last session on my first day at the track. I ran a 2:08 in that session somewhere, maybe not on the vid.

And what apexes did I consistently miss again.

You are coming off as kind of aggressive, no need for that, just track talk here.

If you can go to a new track and run laps at speed in the first few sessions, while hitting the apex's and using all the track then more power to ya. I chose to play it carefully and within my limits. My lines were not optimal, but not so very FAR off from what I saw in your vid.
This type of response is the reason I said what I did. Maybe it was out of line or maybe it just came out wrong. If it did then you have my apologies.

It just came across from you as that you had an excuse for everything and didn't really want to take the critiques you asked for. Instead it was 'I ran alot of 207's and I was just taking it easy', etc.. If you are NOT going to change your style from critiques offered like you specifically told Todd then I am confused as to why you are asking for the input?

But with your style as you stated, then I am not sure what critique can be offered or more importantly what you are looking for.

I guess the bottom line is (as you said) be safe. Best of luck out there. Not of us are experts by any stretch of the imagination (like GT3nut seems to think) but my offer to head out with you still stands as I am sure Matt (930man) and Jonh (VB), etc would also be very willing to offer up their expereince as they are both great instructors with countless laps at he track.

HAPPY EASTER ALL
Old 03-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Well I've learned something here I can actually take away and apply the next time...

T1 2nd gear? Wow... Wouldn't a thought it, but hey I'm downshifting into 2nd at Oaktree now and it works like a charm.

2nd Gear for T4? Again, wouldn't a thought it... One thing with these higher HP cars is we get lazy and rely more on the torque, and leave a lot... I'll try that one next time as well...

T14/14A? Again... It makes sense now that I think back thru it and will give it a shot. I'm already trail braking there...

Dez, you left it in 4th on the bridge straight and I've thought about doing this to get better throttle control on the uphill esses, being that we're both above 400WHP. I'm gonna try that next time out just to do a comparo.

Oh, and as I found out last fall, come here and ask advice at your own risk. Thin skin need not apply. Some of these guys are ruthless, so don't ask unless you really want the critique.

I've found that posting less here and reading more is much more helpful for my personal learning curve.

Mike
Old 03-23-2008, 10:29 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well I feel all warm and fuzzy now!!
Happy Easter!!
Old 03-23-2008, 10:44 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

wanna 911, if you had hired a pro racer to coach you and they gave you the same critiques would you be offended. The advice you have received here is the same advice most of us instructors would have given you if we were riding in your right set. All of us can benefit from constructive criticism, doesn't matter what run group we are in. None of us have ever turned a perfiect lap, NOBODY has, when you say I was just doing this or just doing that, means you or any of us is not ready to hear how to improve our driving.

Free advice is free advice, but most of what you got here is worth a lot more than what you paid for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Critique my VIR vid please (be gentle)