Sponsored by:

Critique my VIR vid please (be gentle)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:18 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I really need to stay away from this thread. It has become a mess. A funny one but a mess none the less.

Originally Posted by 930man
i just flat out dont know anything!!!!!!
But your "flat out" is fast

Originally Posted by TD in DC
You are an a-hole.
Originally Posted by Bull
Damn, I wanted to be an a-hole!
Me too! Was it something I didn't say?

Originally Posted by wanna911
First of all, I dont correct a turn in, that's asking for trouble, you pick a point an use it, you're creating a world of trouble turning in and correcting before you even get to an apex. Now you are unsettling the car under increasingly high loads.
Oh $hi! Thats my problem. I tend to make little tweaks allmost the way around most corners. Not to the gas pedal, that sucker is planted and crampin' up my foot but I do add in or remove steering input.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M

Oh $hi! Thats my problem. I tend to make little tweaks allmost the way around most corners. Not to the gas pedal, that sucker is planted and crampin' up my foot but I do add in or remove steering angle.
Ahhhh yeah, that's it....set it and forget it.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:28 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I'd hit it.....
Dell,

Just when you think you are out, THEY pull you back in.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:52 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by wanna911
First of all, I dont correct a turn in, that's asking for trouble, you pick a point an use it, you're creating a world of trouble turning in and correcting before you even get to an apex. Now you are unsettling the car under increasingly high loads.

But ok, even though I disagree on the major concept, I'd rather discus something that is useful. If you miss, or are off on a late apex it is more dangerous IMO. A missed or late early apex is a late apex. And if you turn in too early on an early apex in most cases there is time enough to scrub speed safely, but we are talking about disasterously early.

All of this reminds me of a similar theory I wish I had learned before all the kids came along:

If you release on time, or too early, on a late withrawal it is more dangerous IMO. A normal or late release is a late withdrawal. And if you release too late on an early withdrawal in most cases, there is time enough to scrub away the evidence.

OK, I am just joking around.

Out of all seriousness, wanna, I think I understand what you are trying to say.

I disagree, and I also wonder whether you may be saying "apex" sometimes when you really mean "turn-in points." Could that be possible? I am guilty of that myself sometimes.

If I understand you correctly, your idea is directly linked to your belief that you should "set and forget" (i.e., it is dangerous to make corrections to steering after you have turned in).

Although that is certainly the goal, one of the most important differences between novice drivers and great drivers is that great drivers notice their errors early and correct them as soon as possible.

So you definitely do NOT want to set and forget. It is fine and desireable to correct a mistake ASAP, although, as I think you correctly are suggesting, you may not always be able to get down to an apex with a big mistake because you may not be able to pinch the wheel that much.

So, if you are at a new track on heat worn tires, a late apex is safer. With a high hp car like yours, a slightly late turn in is even safer in combination with the late apex. Why? Because that will give you the most margin of error, even at Southbend, at track out. It is definitely slower under most circumstances. However, if you make an error, you are likely to have a problem early in the turn,which will give you more time to fix it. By contrast, if you intentionally use early apexes, or worse yet, early apexes with early turn-ins, you may not realize that you have no room at track out until it is too late to do anything about it but run right off the track.

Now, if you know you have a serious problem and there is no way you will make a turn, you are 100% correct that a valid corrective theory is to turn in way early and try to create as long of a straight braking zone through the turn as possible. This can be used if you come in way too hot and just know that you cannot make the turn in any event. Maybe this is what you were saying? Even so, that is no reason for intentionally trying to use early apexes when you have no reason to believe you will not make the corner.

You may also be trying to say that it is safer to open a wheel in a turn than pinch it, so that if you aim in tighter you have a safety margin to reach the apex by opening the wheel. This is true enough, but why base your turn-in point on the assumption that you WILL make an error. In reality, doing this will ensure that you make an error at every corner. But is that what you mean? Are you trying to say that, due to lack of confidence, you wanted to make that error so you could open the wheel because you were afraid of making the other error and having to pinch the wheel? I could understand that reasoning, but I think it could lead to other problems, and it would be better just to try to hit your turn-in points and apexes properly (e.g., if it is a new track or worn tires, later turn-ins with later apexes).

Have confidence that you will hit the apex. If you are a little off course, try to fix it as soon as you realize the error.

Last edited by TD in DC; 03-27-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:33 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Most of my corrections are prior to or at the apex. I try to dial out exit oversteer w/ my shocks (rebound), but even w/ a neutral or understeering car you will get some entry oversteer w/ trailbraking....sometimes too much. YMMV.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

While you're at it, can you guys rost thi, I mean critique this video of me??? I'm the car in the view finder for two laps or so...

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2253177/7099793

Mike
Old 03-27-2008, 09:36 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I'm done critiquing videos. I just thought I would follow through on wanna's since I started it. Should be obvious by now that I am trying to be helpful.

Edit: Actually, the driver in this video doesn't look like he is doing a bad job at all to me, but it is a little hard to hear and see again. The three things that seem the most obvious to me about the driver of the car in this video is that he might be able to (1) straighten out the braking zone at the end of the back straight (e.g., brake some to remove speed, turn in to create a braking straight that runs diagonally from the right of the track to the left of the track at the top of the hill, (2) trailbrake to get better rotation on the car at oaktree (e.g., rotate the car early so he can get back on the gas early), and (3) clean up the esses a little (e.g., make it straighter through the middle part, but the second time through wasn't bad). Overall I would say pretty good job but it is nearly impossible to judge accurately from videos. But I am really done trying to help. You can't tell whether people really want help or whether they just want praise.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

That was me, and I have zero excuses... It was wet and I was Skeered!!!

Sunday morning, session 1 White runn group...\

I suck!
Mike
Old 03-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

That was me, and I have zero excuses... It was wet and I was Skeered!!!

Sunday morning, session 1 White run group...\

I suck!
Mike
Old 03-27-2008, 10:15 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can I be an A-Hole too?

This thread is just too funny. I have not seen this much real world, good solid advice completely ignored since we lost GR and CC. But what do I know, I never could master G-Sum and GR told me I am slow (and old).
Old 03-27-2008, 10:27 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by JBH
Colin:

Show me your swing...I'll be happy to critique it.
It basically looks like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPJtK-DxnV4

Btw, who wants to start a pool that the phrase "can I drove you car" will be in wanna's next post...
Old 03-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Screw it, I'm in line in front of him now... Can I???

Please???

Mike
Old 03-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Can I be an A-Hole too?

This thread is just too funny. I have not seen this much real world, good solid advice completely ignored since we lost GR and CC. But what do I know, I never could master G-Sum and GR told me I am slow (and old).
You can, and you are. I say that as an expert at all three conditions.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 38D
It basically looks like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPJtK-DxnV4

Btw, who wants to start a pool that the phrase "can I drove you car" will be in wanna's next post...
I'm so proud of his accomplishments, and the way he has continued to apply everything I taught him about that swing!
Old 03-27-2008, 10:37 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
You can, and you are. I say that as an expert at all three conditions.
Thank you sir, may I have another?

Quick Reply: Critique my VIR vid please (be gentle)