Sponsored by:

Critique my VIR vid please (be gentle)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:19 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
If we keep digging, won't we eventually hit gold?
I'm done. Feel free.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:47 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Yeah, I let that one pass.

I'll bring the scotch or tequila and cigars.

True enough. The funny thing about }{'s post was that he was dead-on. Too bad it seems like wanna is judging people by how they appear more than by what they actually say.

Wanna911 also says let's get back to track talk, but whenever someone talks about the track -- and his driving in this clip in particular -- it is dismissed as nonsense for some reason or another. It could be that wanna is an excellent driver. Who knows. As I said in }{'s VIR bobble thread awhile back, you shouldn't judge a driver from a clip that is posted. That clip may, or may not, be representative of the driver's overall talents/skills. All we have to go on is the few minutes of driving represented in the clip and the statements by the driver in the thread. That certainly is not much. But, it doesn't make any sense to say "let's get back to track talk" if you don't want to discuss any of the track talk that people post.

I was also thinking about the statement that wanna thinks he could have done 3 or 4 seconds faster than the times he was posting 2:07 (i.e., even he thinks that he could do a 2:03), but that it seems so hard to believe that there could be anyone out there who could shave another 4 seconds off that time. I bet there are dozens and dozens of semi-pro and pro drivers (and probably a few right here on this list) who could do exactly that. Sorta like backyard football players being incredulous that a pro could do it so much better. I bet the pros would laugh at hearing that kind of talk.

In the end, all that matters is that wanna is having a good time and is safe. Seems like he at least has the having a good time part down, which is a very good thing.

You just dont stop do you?

I'm not talking about }{'s ONE bobble but the post one member brought up where there seemed to be several of the same "oh I forgot the apex" and start widly flinging the steering wheel everywhere trying to avoid hitting the wall. Like he said, it's only a matter of time with driving like that. Sorry if I dont take his critique very seriously. Do as I say and not as I do doesnt fly with me.

If you think there is balance to someone posting a critique in that manner, meaning as offensive and as if they dont have some SERIOUS faults of their own, you have a twisted sense of reality.

You are making performance evalutations and judgements of my abilities based on nothing at all but asssumptions. I'll let you know next time I'm at VIR and we'll see if YOU can get in my car and go 3-4 seconds faster. I'm willing to bet your like that football coach who thinks he can judge a player based on books he read even though he cant play and never could.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:52 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by wanna911
You just dont stop do you?

I'm not talking about }{'s ONE bobble but the post one member brought up where there seemed to be several of the same "oh I forgot the apex" and start widly flinging the steering wheel everywhere trying to avoid hitting the wall. Like he said, it's only a matter of time with driving like that. Sorry if I dont take his critique very seriously. Do as I say and not as I do doesnt fly with me.

If you think there is balance to someone posting a critique in that manner, meaning as offensive and as if they dont have some SERIOUS faults of their own, you have a twisted sense of reality.

You are making performance evalutations and judgements of my abilities based on nothing at all but asssumptions. I'll let you know next time I'm at VIR and we'll see if YOU can get in my car and go 3-4 seconds faster. I'm willing to bet your like that football coach who thinks he can judge a player based on books he read even though he cant play and never could.
You seem to have reading comprehension problems, for I said just exactly the opposite.

Specifically I said: "You should not judge }{ based upon the clips he has posted, and nobody should judge YOU based upon the clips you have posted."

With which part of this do you disagree?

You just seem to not be able to accept any criticism at all, even when it is correct. Try considering criticism rather than dismissing it out of hand based upon your preconceived assumptions about the person providing the criticism.

You seem to think that I cannot drive. hmmm. And you think I am the one making assumptions and judgments . . . ? Sounds to me like "you are making performance evalutations and judgements of my abilities based on nothing at all but asssumptions." Maybe I should be "willing to bet [sic] your like that football coach who thinks he can judge a player based on books he read even though he [sic] cant play and never could." After all, I provided data IN THIS THREAD of my driving as well as the driving of a really excellent driver -- Cervelli -- to try to help you. In any event, I wouldn't have tried to provide you criticism if YOU HAD NOT ASKED FOR IT.

Again, you are welcome for time spent trying to help provide you with the constructive criticism you requested.

Last edited by TD in DC; 03-27-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

you have a twisted sense of reality.
Well, he was right about one thing TD - you are "twisted"...
Old 03-27-2008, 02:59 PM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attached Images   
Old 03-27-2008, 03:21 PM
wanna911
Race Car

You seem to have reading comprehension problems, for I said just exactly the opposite.

Specifically I said: "You should not judge }{ based upon the clips he has posted, and nobody should judge YOU based upon the clips you have posted."

With which part of this do you disagree?

You just seem to not be able to accept any criticism at all, even when it is correct. Try considering criticism rather than dismissing it out of hand based upon your preconceived assumptions about the person providing the criticism.

And you seem to think that I cannot drive. hmmm. And you think I am the one making assumptions and judgments . . . Sounds to me like "you are making performance evalutations and judgements of my abilities based on nothing at all but asssumptions." Maybe I should be "willing to bet [sic] your like that football coach who thinks he can judge a player based on books he read even though he [sic] cant play and never could." After all, I provided data of my driving as well as the driving of a really excellent driver -- Cervelli -- to try to help you. I wouldn't have tried to provide you criticism if YOU HAD NOT ASKED FOR IT.

Again, you are welcome for time spent trying to help provide you with the constructive criticism you requested.

I'm not judging anyone, but if someone posts a critique in a demeaning manner and has videos like that posted on the same forum he should expect to get roasted.

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

Is that enough times for you? Or do I have to post a thank you for every paragraph?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:26 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I'm not judging anyone, but if someone posts a critique in a demeaning manner and has videos like that posted on the same forum he should expect to get roasted.

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

Is that enough times for you? Or do I have to post a thank you for every paragraph?
Yes. That is enough. That is the first time you have said thanks, particularly after going out of your way not to thank me.

I am going to assume that you mean it sincerely. Since I assume you mean it sincerely, I am going to say to you sincerely the following:

You are most welcome. We all have a lot to learn. The best place about this forum is that people can share what they have learned by making similar mistakes. You can think about it, and maybe improve your own driving, just like I have improved my driving by listening to the voluminous criticism of others. I would even listen to your criticisms of my driving.

Hope you have a great day. Maybe we will meet someday, and you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd just like to state for the record that I disagree with both of you...about everything.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:33 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I'd just like to state for the record that I disagree with both of you...about everything.
Thank you.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

It's about time you thanked me.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:44 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Wanna911,

I feel I owe you an apology. Everything I said to you in this thread was 100% true until the very last sentence which, as a few of my "friends" pointed out to me in a pm, is just complete ****.

Maybe we will meet someday, and you might be pleasantly surprised.
Meeting me really isn't all that great. It's not like I have a great rack or anything, and, well, apart from usually having liquor, cigars and similar contraband, there really isn't too much redeeming about me.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:49 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

It's about time you thanked me.
You are an a-hole.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Public service announcement - whoever is giving TD guidance via PM please stop immediately. He's doing fine on his own. Death threats should start around page 12.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:18 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first of all,
i don't feel like i was getting roasted, but i'm dimwitted at times, so maybe i missed it. although, even in *my* thread, i WAS getting a lot of, "you did this worng", and "you should do this instead" etc etc, but that's the whole point of this! i guess you can call that roasting, but i call it advice. most likely it's something that would've been said to me from a passenger seat as well, so that's how i view it.

my apologies for being demeaning, unfortunatley, i find it's the most effective way of driving a point home and/or getting someone's attention. i promise, my remarks come out a bit friendlier in person. sometimes.

second,
i think you may still be missing the point of my videos. you claim that you would rather keep on taking early apexes b/c it works and it's a safer way for you. this is just incomprehensible to me. it's a widely known concept that a LATE apex is the safer way through a corner. i mean, for god's sake, they even have those funny t-shirts w/ a phrase "friends don't let friends apex early". why do you think that is? b/c it's safe???

anyway, back to my videos. yes, each and every one of them shows a mistake. a blown corner. a very late apex. a too early of an apex and then an attempt at correction. whatever it is, they all lead to some sort of a screw up. and that is the point. if you go slow, and screw up a corner, like you do, nothing will happen. NO.THING. but... if you start pushing and going faster, then EACH AND EVERY TIME you screw up, THIS (ie: my video) will happen. guranteed. our goal is to get you to understand that while, for now, what you do seems to be 'ok', it most certainly won't remain that way when your speeds increase.

so the point is, while your mistakes aren't causing you grief at the moment, and you know that the car and you can handle it, then it's fine. but know this, when your speeds increase, your mistakes will have different results as well. you might even end up w/ an entertaining video like me. if you're lucky.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

while we're critiquing videos, please take a look at one of mine. I don't think there's much advice anyone can give however. As you'll see, my driving is very smooth, I'm hitting my marks, I'm not coasting, my trailbraking is very good. I might be a tad early, but I was trying to scrub some speed - I think I accomplished that pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIuQQshfxsQ

Quick Reply: Critique my VIR vid please (be gentle)