Sponsored by:

Window egress with containment seat - NASA rules

Old 03-10-2008, 01:37 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

To add to what FBB said previously, seat angle can be the key to getting a containment seat that you can get out of. i've lplayed with this recently getting an Ultrashield SS into a '97 Cup Car.

Most people generally like to sit more upright in track mode than street mode. Setting a containment seat in the proper spot for an upright seat position puts those halos right in the window opening. Moving the seat back and then trying to move all the controls is really not a very feasible alternative. However, it is relatinely easy to extend the steering hub.

I've found creating a more laid back angle for the seat works well. I get leg length and seat height correct, then I lengthen the steering hub as needed to bring the wheel to the right reach point. Sometimes all you need for this lengthening is a quick release. Other times it requires some fabricating. Either way, this attack plan works.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:37 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which one of these do I want? http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/?ID=18

I see some only have 2 straps extending rearward to the cage, others have 3. I would think 3 would be best but can't tell which is which from some of the pics.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:51 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a regular style seat and sidenet.

I think it provides the best balance of all factors including cost.

Here is mine, I mounted to the corner of the battery tray. The driver's side is mounted actually behind the driver so the net wraps around the seat a little. I would have liked to mounted more torward the center in front, but then it interfered with my access to the shifter.

For me to get it to clear my shifter it did block my right side mirror making that useless. So I installed a 5 panel wink mirror inside the car and it took care of that issue.

Now it may mounted a bit higher than John suggested. I might try to low it some, but would need to fab a lower mount for the 3 rear straps. Right now it is as follows

Top = Goes to Top of main hoop
Middle = goes to diagonal
lower = Harness bar.

I might try to move it down such that
Top = diagonal
Middle = harness bar
lower = fabbed mount.... as I think maybe I can use the rear seat belt hole in a similar fashion to my forward mount.

Now that I think about it like that idea alot. The only issue may be my arm and the shifter. I guess I need to play around to find out.

BTW... my net is the C5R version. Dang Prices went up. I got mine for $78 or so back in 2005.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
Which one of these do I want? http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/?ID=18

I see some only have 2 straps extending rearward to the cage, others have 3. I would think 3 would be best but can't tell which is which from some of the pics.
C5R (3 straps). The good thing about these nets versus others on the market is that the ratchet mechanism helps to get them tight.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:19 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's odd is that the C5R in Joe's pic above shows 6 vertical webs, and the C5R on the Safety Solutions website shows 4 vertical webs. Must just be product evolution over the past 3 years.

C5R it is, thank you gents!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window egress with containment seat - NASA rules