Sponsored by:

POINT-BYE's !!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:49 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
My initial point-by is before the apex coming down the hill. I don't hang the arm out over the top all the way down the hill but stick it out early with a quick point to let the guy know he's there. I used to do it in rearview but with the roll bar installed it's too hard to see. If timed correctly I can let 3 or 4 cars by before mid straight and jump behind them going up the hill. Diving a low hp car in a faster run group is quite humbling. My excitement is trying to hang onto the group up the hill and into the esses where I get to see them disappear into the distance. Every once and a while I get to run with them into 5! I had a student rider at the last event who noticed that it was not easy to drive a slower car with faster cars on the track. They mentioned after the session that they noticed for the first time there are lines other than the mother duck line, especially going into 6 after the short passing zone.

I'm not sure why they put low hp cars into the top run groups but I suspect it's done to keep the event from becoming a racing experience. Moving chicanes, if driven by "safe" slow people, must break up the "packs" and prevent banzai attempts to record spectacular lap times.

What you have done is understandable, but I've seen several people with their arm out the window from the end of the gators coming down the hill almost to the sign/crosswalk, and riding on the edge of the track at the same time, it's flat out CRAZY!!!!!

The problem here is if you dont have enough car, or enough *****, people close on you real fast here and people panic and throw their arms out the window for the whole turn. I did panic one time when running time trials and Cory Friedman came out of no where in their rolex car and was on my tail, but I was still going way too fast to try and point him by while turning, so I waited till after apex, he hung back, got a run and went by.

A quick point on the way down the hill is all it takes, if you're at the apex of 12 with your arm out the window, that's just insane, especially if the people coming up behind you have made you go faster than you would have ordinarily. I just think a blinker here would be tons easier.

I dont see why both cant be utilized, although I know people mistakenly hit the blinkers sometimes and that could cause confusion, but I've also gotten a fake point by where the person had their arm halfway out the window and I started to pass, then they snatched it back like they didnt mean to, so you can screw up either one.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:17 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i understand trying to use the blinkers, but what about when people forget to turn them off or have the blinker going on the wrong side. 1 arm out the window at turn 12 is crazy to do at road atlanta. most DE's only allow passing on straights, so it takes some patience from the passer and the person getting passed to wait for after the apex and track out to give the signal.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:39 PM
wanna911
Race Car

That's a good point, but if you cant put your blinker on the side it should be on, you shouldnt be on a track.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:47 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

I dont see the problem with giving a point by mid turn. The group I run with allows passes anywhere with a pointby. The one time I was at RA, I always gave pointbys at the apex of 12 so the car(s) behind me could get on with the pass as soon as we hit the straight. Of course Im also one of the people in slow cars so maybe that has something to do with it. Personally I think that blinkers would over complicate a system that doesnt seem to need any fixing.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:24 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
That's a good point, but if you cant put your blinker on the side it should be on, you shouldnt be on a track.
If you can't get your hand out the window for the second it takes to give a signal, you are over your head. With a hand signal, you can specify the number of cars that can pass (around here, GT3s travel in packs), but it's not as easy with blinkers.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive a "slow" car in red. While I know they're coming, I don't like to take may hands off the wheel mid-turn.

I'd prefer open passing in that case. Just go ahead and take it.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:22 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Todsimpson
... Just go ahead and take it.
I think I see a business opportunity to sell bumper stickers with that saying on it at the track so that BKS and other fast drovers don't get their panties in a twist
Old 02-23-2008, 04:22 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Some clubs do (or did anyway) use turn signals. I ran with Nordstern PCA at Road America five or six years ago and thats how it it was done. It was my first time there so it was still a little hairy trying to give a pass in the Kink without running out of track.

We also used turn signals during the night sessions during the 48 hrs DE at Sebring a few weeks ago. Almost invariably I would first see a hand signal and then the turn signal though. Old habits are hard to break.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wanna911
That's a good point, but if you cant ..................., you shouldnt be on a track.
If we went by that kind of criteria, it would eliminate 50% of the DE attendees.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

World's best point-by:

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I wish we could use blinkers too and keep the windows up with the air on!

However I have come up on people at the track that have there blinker on, hand must have hit the blinker stalk during a turn and still have to wait 1/2 way around Sebring for a point by.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:12 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
World's best point-by:
Been there, done that (the pointy-by, not the being an uber-cool racer). But I do get help from a friend here.

I tried both blinkers and the conventional point-bys. The BMW Club of Canada when running at Mosport use blinkers. I find it easier to use hands.

In the beginner groups the car giving the signal must back off and just stay straight. So getting one hand off the wheel is not a hazard. And in the higher groups people should be able to handle the situation otherwise what the hell are they doing the the higher run group?

It's not just race cars that cause problems with blinkers. Newer cars insist on blinking three times even if the indicator stalk was just briefly pushed. Letting multiple cars pass becomes confusing. I also found it difficult to spot the blinker in bright sun, especially on older cars.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:01 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What's a point by???

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 02-23-2008, 08:31 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Do you know the Sandlappers (BMW) have tried for years to tell the PCA DEs to use flashers - on the track... lol
Old 02-23-2008, 09:39 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

And no one has mentioned BMW club protocol (out here, anyway) of having the flashers on if it's an instructor car. No, there is no separate instructor group. But that's them, and their "fear of car" teaching method.

(Something I thought of, maybe I'll put it in another new topic.........how different West Coast DE's seem to be. And I mean that in a good, very unrestricted way.)

Quick Reply: POINT-BYE's !!!!!!!!!!!