Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no PCA club races in Norcal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:11 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

You guys need to join us in the SCCA races at Laguna and Sears. First of all, SCCA dominates with rights to the very few "loud" weekends at Laguna. POC runs there, and usually has a great event, but is limited to a very unfriendly, and problematic, 92db sound limit. SCCA's ITE group 1, has a fantastic turnout, with some of the most competitive racing around. We had some porsches come out for the grand finale race at laguna as well as the race weekend the month earlier with the NW guys coming out in force! PCA did a few races, in conjuction with Sports Car champtionships a few years back, but hasnt been back since. Sears was a great race weekend back then as well, but PCA has not been back since.
PCA puts on a great event, and draws a great crowd of racers. I look forward to them, somehow putting together another weekend in Nor Cal. Until then, SCCA has a couple of classes where any level of prep'ed porsche can run and have some great competition. ( might be a cup car or a vintage mustang! )

mk
Old 02-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
Ken, I've been involved in the PCA club racing program since the second year of its existence, first as chair for my local region's first two races, then as sponsor coordinator and since 2000 as a steward and now national chair. It's always been my experience that PCA club racing has covered the travel expenses for the national staff since day one. Yes, timing tech travel costs were borne by the regions until this past September, but now they are also covered by the national program.

Hotel rooms and food at the event are covered by the host region, as would be expected on the part of any good host. At most events those costs are in the neighborhood of $1k.

Perhaps you are thinking about the cost of the insurance for the event, that has always been borne by the host region but for the events you have mentioned the insurance cost would not have been $5k.

A region can frankly keep its costs quite low, if they want to, while hosting a PCA club race. Sure, many of the events include dinners, and shirts, and other give aways but frankly I don't think most racers care about that, they are there simply to race. Once again, if you are on the west coast and are interested in working with your home region to host a club race, contact me off line.

Regards,
Bruce Boeder
Bruce,

When are we going to see a PCA Club Race at Indy?

I promise to do a great job of hosting and my wife has promised to cook for you!!

Thanks for the great service to our passion.

Rick
Old 02-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

A few comments. I helped form the PRC back in 2001. Our first official race was April 2002 at Buttonwillow (I got the very first pole position). I have also run with SCCA (Vintage), NCRC/ARC, and PCA. I was in the last NorCal Club race at Laguna Seca in 2004. That was a great event-- essentially a pro weekend as a part of the US Sportscar Invitational (now Grandam has that date).

In Norcal, we have a lot of different Porsche racing opportunities. They all have different cultures and people pick and choose.

SCCA is a long time favorite of some, but for me, driving just twice a day, which is usually/often their schedule, is just not enough.

Running with NASA outside of PRC makes no sense for me either. As to why the 944 Cup or Spec folks run with other NASA groups and not PRC, it is by their choice, not the PRC's. If any/all of them want to run with us, they are of course welcome, as long as they follow our rules. If they have interest in us adding their class(es) to our rules structure, they need to show up and speak up. So far that hasn't happened. But perhaps in the future it may.

We welcome all Porsche's to run with us. Since we are all volunteers, we consider the workload when adding classes. For example, the Spec 911 Class has a great system and culture of handling their workload, when it comes to weighing cars, and working through rule revisions, et cetera. We expect the GTL Class participants to evolve the same way. We are considering moving forward to add Spec Boxster for 2008-- depends upon how the rules are structured and if we can handle the workload. We just don't have a ton of non-racing volunteers to help administer things, and we are not a sanctioning body. We aren't into dynoing cars and a bunch of other work to administer the racing. We like to race, and when not racing we like to socialize in the paddock.

Our culture is a little different from PCA Club Racing. For example, we do not have a 13/13 rule.

As for the future, of course any region can decide to try to put on a Club Race. You never know when one of our frequent participants who belongs to a PCA region will step forward and try to organize one. From my perspective, that would be great. But I personally would not support the elimination of a PRC event to create a schedule opportunity for a Club Race.

Remember, all Porsche's are welcome to run with us provided our rules are followed. We do not have all of the same classes as PCA because we don't need them based on the folks showing up. If folks show up and we can manage the workload, then of course we consider changes.

If you are in the area in April, come on out to Sears Point in April. Hopefully the weather will be good.

- Mike
PRC #4
PCA Golden Gate Region (just past 20 years in PCA!)
Old 02-21-2008, 01:43 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
...Running with NASA outside of PRC makes no sense for me either. As to why the 944 Cup or Spec folks run with other NASA groups and not PRC, it is by their choice, not the PRC's. If any/all of them want to run with us, they are of course welcome, as long as they follow our rules....
Both 944 cup and 944 spec started in areas were PRC did not exist and therefore developed in NASA without the PRC. We have organized ourselves to run NASA because they supported our beginnings back in 2002 and can support us nationaly by hosting events all over the country. Northern California just happens to be a place 944 spec is expanding into. Given that starting point I don't know what benefit there would be for 944 spec to run in PRC? It is not that we don't like PRC, but more of what does NASA 944 spec benefit by running with PRC?

BTW... If you think there is some to be gained please PM me and we can discuss. I am the director for 944 spec in Arizona and I am in constant contact with the National 944 spec director and the director in your area. If there something we can do to make 944 spec more fun and attract more drivers we would love to know about it.

Quick Reply: Why no PCA club races in Norcal?