Sponsored by:

NEW HANS Device - Feed Back

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:30 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Default NEW HANS Device - Feed Back

I plan on getting a HANS device this year... Does anyone have any feedback on the new "starter model" that came out in January?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

From one of the bigger dealers of HANS that I work with the new Sport Series will realistcally be available in Feb. Not too shocking since they aren't out yet and it's the 27th.

Saw it at PRI. When you pick it up it is noticeably heavier than the other 2 models. However it will be resting on your shoulders when you are driving so you won't notice it so much.

The 'wings' on the side are notably higher than the other versions.

Other than that it looks like any old HANS device.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:04 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
The 'wings' on the side are notably higher than the other versions.
Thanks for this information. I am set to buy a HANS in the near future and am considering the Sport model. I was under the impression that it was the same outwardly as the higher-priced models, so I latched onto your comment about the 'wings' being higher. Do you mean the horizontal surface upon which the belts rest, or the small vertical extensions that help keep the shoulder belts in place (or neither)?

Scott
Old 01-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Those wings may be higher because of different materials used as well. I don't know. I am talking about the small vertical extensions.

They won't substitute for mounting the shoulder harnesses correctly though. I know people with early HANS devices with no wings, no friction material that have no problem with the belt staying on when they are properly mounted for a HANS device.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's interesting though that every new HANS released seems to have higher and higher "winglets" and more abrasive friction material.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
It's interesting though that every new HANS released seems to have higher and higher "winglets" and more abrasive friction material.
I'm sure every little bit helps. However when I walk through the paddock I see a large number of people who wear a HANS and their belts aren't mounted the way HANS reccomends.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:58 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I'll bet the higher vertical wings are a result of consumer pressure. If you have your setup correct, the belts won't slip off. But alot of drovers were complaining about belt slippage and since having vertical wings won't affect performance, they added them. I'll wager it's just marketing.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
They're fighting the laws of physics in trying to keep the HANS under the belts in an off axis impact. Of course if they fix the problem (by capturing the HANS & the belts), then they won't be SFI38.1 compliant.

It has been interesting to watch the design evolve over time (wings, no wings, back to wings, larger wings, 3" belts, 3"-2" HANS specific belts, back to 3" belts.....)
Old 01-28-2008, 02:34 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
They're fighting the laws of physics in trying to keep the HANS under the belts in an off axis impact.
I don't think so. HANS is part of a complete safety package. You need a full containment seat with head-halo and side nets on both sides. That would keep the torso intact in an off axis impact.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
I don't think so. HANS is part of a complete safety package. You need a full containment seat with head-halo and side nets on both sides. That would keep the torso intact in an off axis impact.
Perhaps, but I don't believe in an off axis frontal impact, you can rely on the driver remaining completely inside the full containment seat, since you still have to deal with belt stretch.

The HANS/shoulder belt interface, throughout all of its iterations, is fundamentally and fatally flawed. It is analogous to trying to hold something up by simply squeezing your hands together....there are limits to friction, cross sectional area, yadayada....

That having been said, the HANS is better than nothing.

Quick Reply: NEW HANS Device - Feed Back