Sponsored by:

F1 testing videos , News and updates

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:45 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Singapore Grand Prix , tickets flying fast .........

Tickets went on sale today for the inaugural Singapore Grand Prix and demand was so high that organisers admitted the distribution system could not cope.

Singapore will host the sport's highly anticipated first-ever night race around the city-state's streets on 28 September.

Customers trying to buy tickets, which were available online, through call centres and at booths, experienced delays due to "an extraordinarily high volume of system traffic both locally and internationally."

"Whilst we factored in high demand during the designing of the system, the volume of traffic going into the system is unprecedented," said Michael Roche, Executive Director of Singapore GP Pte Ltd.

"We apologise for the regrettable delays that many fans have experienced today. Rest assured, we are doing everything we can to reduce the delays and we would like to thank everyone for their continued patience."

The OmniTicket Network, which is in charge of sales, said it had designed a "unique system" to manage high demand for tickets but it still struggled to cope.

"Due to the unexpected number of simultaneous requests, the response time of the reservation system got compromised and, for a short time, even stopped responding," said chief executive Paolo Moro.

"We realise that Formula One fans are eager to be able to attend this unique event. Therefore we can confirm that we are doing everything possible to further increase the power of the system."

General three-day passes are priced from 168 to 1,388 Singapore dollars (118 to 979 US), with each customer allowed to buy a maximum of eight tickets. At the top end, corporate tickets for the Paddock Club are 7,500 dollars (5,293 US).

The Grand Prix's staging at night is expected to boost global TV ratings for an already hugely popular sport. It is estimated that it will generate about 100 million dollars (68.5 million US) a year in incremental tourism receipts for an island nation that has ambitions of becoming 'a vibrant, global city.'
Old 02-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Not so , Alonso was asking to be released from his contract as far back as Hungary.
My guess (I was not there) is that the feeling was mutual. Alonso wanted out and Dennis wanted him gone.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:12 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Dennis and wife seperates

I guess it was her or Lewis

f1-live

Yesterday Swiss newspaper Blick reported that McLaren boss Ron Dennis may have separated from his wife Lisa.

Today the team confirmed that the report was correct. The couple have three children; two daughters and a son. The following is a statement from Ron and Lisa Dennis.

"Following the reporting of a matter that my wife Lisa and I had hoped would remain confidential at this time, we have decided to announce our separation after 22 years of marriage.

Choose your degree...

"Inevitably, the process is a difficult one for us and our three children, and we hope and trust that the media will respect that it should also therefore remain a private one.

Neither Lisa nor I will be making any further statements on this matter."
Old 02-15-2008, 12:15 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
My guess (I was not there) is that the feeling was mutual. Alonso wanted out and Dennis wanted him gone.

So how does one get fired from that , it is completely the opposite to schumacher situation where he held out to try an keep his job and monti gave him no choice sign or leave , eventually pushing him out instead of facing the wrath of the iceman.......
Old 02-15-2008, 12:20 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default PIquet coming to terms withthe R28

f1-live

Rookie racer Nelson Piquet insists that, with each passing pre-season test day, he is closing the gap to team-mate, Fernando Alonso.

At the beginning of the intensive winter period earlier this year, the 22-year-old - who now wants to drop the 'junior' from the end of his name - was often conspicuously slower than Alonso, the French team's drivers' world champion of 2005 and 2006.

"I was missing the confidence I needed," the Brazilian confided to Auto Motor und Sport magazine as he tested this week at Jerez.

When they went head-to-head at the circuit on Wednesday, Piquet's fast-lap deficit had dropped to just a few tenths, even if the gap is a bigger over longer runs.

He recalls of earlier tests: "At the beginning of longer distances, I was basically as fast as Fernando but then the gap opened up; Fernando going faster and me slower."

But at Jerez, Piquet insists that he is now beginning to fully understand the R28, which he says is a better car in all areas compared to last year's Renault.

"The gap to Alonso is shrinking," he proclaimed, albeit acknowledging that his team-mate's experience is still paying dividends.

"Fernando carries more speed into the corners than I do. Sometimes I brake later than he does but I then have a problem going into the apex.

"Sometimes I go into the corner well, but then give away time to him at the braking point," he explained.

Piquet, however, says doing a lot of testing recently is getting his race-fitness back up to scratch, but he would also enjoy spending lots of time in a McLaren-style driving simulator.

"If we had one I would sit in it day and night," the Brazilian said.

He insists that he will not be pushing for stand-out performances at the beginning of the season, which kicks off in Australia in four weeks.

"For me I think it is important that at the start I don't make any stupid mistakes," Piquet said.

He also revealed that Renault engineers are busily working to bring more performance to the R28.

"I believe they now understand the characteristics of the Bridgestone tyre. That is not our problem any more.

"Now we have to work on the aerodynamics and quite simply find more grip," he added.

Source: GMM
Old 02-15-2008, 12:34 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Kovalainen ends Jerez test on top

There has been alot of talk about Ferrari's pace recently , but from day 1 it has appeared to me the Mclaren is the car to beat , it has a lot of Ferrari intellectually property attached to it's design and even after the FIA has made them remove and modify parts , it is obvious they have a lot of pace. Now they are running wheel covers , similar to Ferrari , The covers are a necessity in helping to control wheel and tire temps as Ferrari documentation had shown , as they run an refrigerant to stabalize tire temps for consistency , i can only assume Mclaren is now doing the same , to the point where they are now using wheel covers and of course their own ecu design....... AW

F1- technical.

On the final day of testing at the Circuit of Jerez, McLaren driver Heikki Kovalainen clocked the fastest lap time of this week. Kovalainen was followed by Red Bull's David Coulthard and Williams driver Kazuki Nakajima.

Results
1. H. Kovalainen McLaren 1:17.974 96
2. D. Coulthard Red Bull Racing 1:18.485 107
3. K. Nakajima Williams 1:19.117 90
4. L. Hamilton McLaren 1:19.429 83
5. R. Kubica BMW Sauber 1:19.535 129
6. S. Vettel Toro Rosso 1:19.688 53
7. N. Piquet Jr. Renault 1:19.817 134
8. S. Bourdais Toro Rosso 1:19.848 101
9. N. Heidfeld BMW Sauber 1:19.934 116
10. M. Webber Red Bull Racing 1:19.980 107
11. G. Fisichella Force India 1:20.669 89
12. J. Button Honda 1:20.988 121
13. A. Davidson Super Aguri F1 1:21.010 103
14. N. Hülkenberg Williams 1:21.116 71
15. L. Di Grassi Renault 1:21.286 73
16. A. Wurz Honda 1:21.605 103

Last edited by A.Wayne; 02-15-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:06 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

So how does one get fired from that , it is completely the opposite to schumacher situation where he held out to try an keep his job and monti gave him no choice sign or leave , eventually pushing him out instead of facing the wrath of the iceman.......
The difference is that Alonso had not built up any "credit" at McLaren. Alonso had credit at Renault as evidenced by his welcome back to that team. Schumacher had brought Ferrari from mediocrity to a dominate dynasty in the many years he was there. The political power struggle within Ferrari was such that Luca won out over Todt and Brawn and had his way. Do you think that was the way to treat a 7 time WC that had done so much for the team?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:15 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Or for a 7 wdc to treat a team that made him ......by not helping them for the future by staying and working with the iceman......LOOk Ferrari made Schumacher , not the other way around , both were successful at what they did and both team and driver flourished, Ferrari under todt would have been successful with other drivers , as you have seen with KIMI and Massa, even after this massve change at ferrari ( todt ,brawn etc) i view this to be more detrimental to the team success than MS. As proven by their WDC last year...
Old 02-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

I think you answered your own question. My guess is that neither Alo or Shumi were fired. In both cases there were internal elements that wanted them gone, and they both had their own good reasons for wanting to leave.

The difference is that Shumi left as a Ferrari hero and still goes to races as a Ferrari advisor. Alo left Mac as a Pariah and the team will be unlikely to ever have him return in any capacity (IMO).
Old 02-15-2008, 01:26 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
I think you answered your own question. My guess is that neither Alo or Shumi were fired. In both cases there were internal elements that wanted them gone, and they both had their own good reasons for wanting to leave.

The difference is that Shumi left as a Ferrari hero and still goes to races as a Ferrari advisor. Alo left Mac as a Pariah and the team will be unlikely to ever have him return in any capacity (IMO).
Me thinks the feeling is mutual RD wife thinks so too.....
Old 02-15-2008, 01:46 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Or for a 7 wdc to treat a team that made him ......by not helping them for the future by staying and working with the iceman......LOOk Ferrari made Schumacher , not the other way around , both were successful at what they did and both team and driver flourished, Ferrari under todt would have been successful with other drivers , as you have seen with KIMI and Massa, even after this massve change at ferrari ( todt ,brawn etc) i view this to be more detrimental to the team success than MS. As proven by their WDC last year...
It appeared from the outside that MS was helping Massa more as is to be expected. He had been a Ferrari test driver in the system for a few years and a teammate along side MS for a year. Kimi was not.

Remember, Ferrari had not won a WC in nearly a quarter century before MS arrived. It would be naive to say it was all him, but he certainly was the cornerstone in which to build with Todt, Brawn, the engine builder (forgot the Italian's name), Dyer, etc. Within that team, as a leader, he made everyone better by demanding, developing, and leading a most dominate effort over all others.

Kimi was certainly a beneficiary of the team being strong after MS's departure as all the parts were in place. Not to take anything away from Kimi as he is most certainly a natural and extremely quick, but development is not his strong suit. Wayne, I don't think even you could deny that if MS was in that seat and not Kimi, MS would have won the WC last year and probably with a wider margin than 1 point.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:04 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

If not for Alonso being at Mclaren last year Kimi or Massa would have won on the trot in the Ferrari, Hamilton and de la ROsa would not have stood a chance in making a challenge ....
Old 02-15-2008, 02:08 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

You say that, but it doesn't look like the Mac has lost as much speed as you thought it would. I also thought there would be a little drop off, but Heikki and Hamilton as doing well, in testing at least. The 1st race will be telling.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by mitch236
Love that last one! You broke my f-ing head!!!
I really hate it when people are willing to dish it out, but unwilling to take it in return...

Montoya breaking some poor guy's #$%^ing head
Old 02-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Me thinks the feeling is mutual RD wife thinks so too.....
My guess is that you are correct on both accounts.

Quick Reply: F1 testing videos , News and updates