Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Wrapping up Harness to Roll Bar ?? (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/400150-wrapping-up-harness-to-roll-bar.html)

007DT 12-29-2007 12:30 AM

Wrapping up Harness to Roll Bar ??

I Just installed a DAS Roll bar in my 993. Previously I had a BK Harness Bar w/ Guides. My question is what is the best way to secure my shoulder harnesses to the roll bar w/o letting them slide (side to side). Also is there a trick to using up the excess belt (material) on the bar, help it look a little cleaner?

Thanks

Wreck Me Otter 12-29-2007 01:45 AM

Go to McMaster-Car Supply Company and search for "Shaft Collar". Get the one with the proper inner diameter and put them on the outside of the belts on the bar. You can also put them on the inside of the belts but they're not useful.

Roll up the excess belt around a long zip tie, then close the zip tie around the whole bundle.

smlporsche 12-29-2007 07:07 AM

I have done the McMaster thing but was talking to a well known 997 Cup owner at Road Atlanta in October and he asked me what i had done. He then told me that for his cup car Porsche reccomends just using a large zip tie on each side. Seems alot cheaper and easier as well...

Bull 12-29-2007 08:58 AM

Large zip ties work well.

bobt993 12-29-2007 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bull (Post 4925457)
Large zip ties work well.

Great Bull, another attempt to take business away from the duct tape industry.

catchacab 12-29-2007 09:51 AM

I had a metal loops fabricated and welded to the bar. They were modeled after the loops on the BK Harness bars I had. I had them welded closer together than they were on the harness bar to accomidate my Hans Device. I rolled up the extra length of harness and secured it with a zip tie.

007DT 12-29-2007 10:52 AM

Zip Tie makes sense...

What about the excess belt hanging down is there a way to wrap that up? Make it look cleaner?

bobt993 12-29-2007 11:27 AM

Dave, one option I have seen is to sew a small strip of velcro to the strap and mount the other sticky side to the roll bar cross member.

chrisp 12-29-2007 12:41 PM

For the extra belt do as Wreck Me Otter describes. It's ends up looking like a little piece of rolled up carpet with a zip tie through the center and around the roll of webbing lengthwise. You can roll the excess webbing first and then slip the zip tie through.

007DT 12-29-2007 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic. You're saying to take the excess up first, where do you loop it around the bar?

Bull 12-29-2007 07:25 PM

If you do it like I and many others do, you do not loop the excess around the bar. Take the excess and roll it up onto itself until it is snug against the bar....then slide a zip tie through the middle of the roll and cinch it down tight to secure the roll. It just stays there against the bar.

I hope that is clear and not more confusing. Sorry I don't have a picture, but someone will I'm sure.

Wreck Me Otter 12-29-2007 07:42 PM

Like this:

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/img_3536_small.jpg

Bull 12-29-2007 07:44 PM

Yep, that is it!

kurt M 12-29-2007 07:49 PM

The strap in the picture is not done being woven yet! Bring the end back and run it under the back upper bar of the 3 bar slider. Then do the zip tie thing by rolling the slack into a tight tube and threading through the tube and then through the upper section of belt between the slider and bar. The rolled extra will be above the belt and bar. This makes it easy to check that the 3 bar slider is threaded right.

The extra threading step will reduce pull through in an impact and is required by most groups. As the belt loads up it will pull against itself on both sides of the loading belt. Snug the 3 bar slider to the bar as well to reduce take up. Any space will add to the unwanted take up in an impact.

kurt M 12-29-2007 07:51 PM

well you guys posted as I was hunting and pecking. What the heck its Sat night we should be out partying.

The image of Kim's rolled belts is spot on.