Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Atlanta... HELP for Autocross locations.. (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/398210-atlanta-help-for-autocross-locations.html)

007DT 12-17-2007 11:17 PM

Atlanta... HELP for Autocross locations..

I know I should have this on the Autocross Thread, but there is no traffic on it....

We have just been informed that we've lost our usual Autocross Location for the PCA club in Atlanta. If anyone has a lead on a location in Atlanta, and/or contacts we can approach PLEASE Post or PM me.

This was a last minute decision by Gwinnett County due to noise complaints..

Thanks

ECS 12-17-2007 11:25 PM

Oh crap. That was a great location. Can't think of any place right now but I am a newbie to Atlanta. Will keep an ear open though.

gasman123 12-18-2007 10:50 AM

What about Turner Field? SCCA used to run there.

007DT 12-18-2007 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by gasman123 (Post 4892116)
What about Turner Field? SCCA used to run there.

We're checking that but it may be out of our Budget and/or require us to allow non PCA members in to swing the cost. Or up our cost. If you've done one of ours you know with only 50-60 people we can make it a 1/2 day event and have everyone get 6 runs. It's nice compaired to the 180 people @ SCCA.

ECS 12-18-2007 11:14 PM

My vote (for what its worth) would be to keep it at 6 runs, half a day, and up the price.

GPL 12-19-2007 12:48 AM

Contact Farnbacher Loles new race shop in Braselton, tell them Greg said they should pay the difference to get Turner Field location. I'm sure they will do it to support local PCA chapter.

paradisenb 12-19-2007 08:37 AM

That site has been in jeopardy for the last several years. It was only a matter of time. I would check w/SCCA. They will surely find a new location.

That is also Road Atlanta's future as well. Not 'if' but 'when'. :crying:

007DT 12-19-2007 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by paradisenb (Post 4895284)
That site has been in jeopardy for the last several years. It was only a matter of time. I would check w/SCCA. They will surely find a new location.

That is also Road Atlanta's future as well. Not 'if' but 'when'. :crying:

We're all going to have to put Silencers on our cars :icon501:
Or maybe switch to a Toyota Prius :soapbox:

I've already ubtained the list of all SCCA Autocross locations, contacts, for solo events across the country. Actually I was surprised they freely sent me all that information on a spreadsheet, based on a phone call and a couple emails.

I'm going to find out the $$$$ for Turner Field.

Thanks for your help & feel free to keep the suggestions coming.

NCporsche 12-19-2007 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Why not use the Georgia Tech football field?

They are not using it for football, but there might be noise complaints...

...several dozen Porsches autocrossing might make more noise than the GA Tech fans make during a ballgame. :icon107:

HBTD

A930Rocket 12-19-2007 12:09 PM

What happened to the Lakewood Amphitheater? We used to run there years ago.

Just checked, it was back in 93-94...

007DT 12-19-2007 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by A930Rocket (Post 4895892)
What happened to the Lakewood Amphitheater? We used to run there years ago.

Just checked, it was back in 93-94...

??? I've only been in Atlanta for 7 years. Do you happen to have any contacts there?

CurBrwn79 12-23-2007 01:43 PM

+2 on keeping it 50-60 p-cars with 6 runs. I can't stand SCCA Auto-X events...too crowded...Lakewood would be a great venue.

As a last resort, if we had to partner with someone to use Turner's lots, perhaps the Audi, BMW, or Mini club would be interested?? BMW is in the same situation, as they also use Gwinnett.

Also, check with Atlanta Motor Speed-Way. I know that the SCCA uses their parking lots a few times during the year-(sometimes even in the night)....

Little selfish request-How bout a day over at Talladega Gran Prix? Only about a 1.5 hr drive from Atlanta....switch it up a little? Maybe due a joint day with AL Region if the cost is too high...I would pay more than the typical rate for PCA AutoX to run that course. Not having Gwinnett could be a good thing...opens to the door to new options and different courses. I am sure a dynamic schedule would be a hit with the members.

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks...lladegaGP.html

007DT 12-23-2007 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by CurBrwn79 (Post 4909864)
+2 on keeping it 50-60 p-cars with 6 runs. I can't stand SCCA Auto-X events...too crowded...Lakewood would be a great venue.

As a last resort, if we had to partner with someone to use Turner's lots, perhaps the Audi, BMW, or Mini club would be interested?? BMW is in the same situation, as they also use Gwinnett.

Also, check with Atlanta Motor Speed-Way. I know that the SCCA uses their parking lots a few times during the year-(sometimes even in the night)....

Little selfish request-How bout a day over at Talladega Gran Prix? Only about a 1.5 hr drive from Atlanta....switch it up a little? Maybe due a joint day with AL Region if the cost is too high...I would pay more than the typical rate for PCA AutoX to run that course. Not having Gwinnett could be a good thing...opens to the door to new options and different courses. I am sure a dynamic schedule would be a hit with the members.

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks...lladegaGP.html

I agree with you.. Were looking at all options, one of which is Turner Field with BMW.

A930Rocket 12-23-2007 03:34 PM

Sorry. No contacts. Before Lakewood, we used to AX at the old Atlanta Baraves baseball stadium.

Originally Posted by 007DT (Post 4898513)
??? I've only been in Atlanta for 7 years. Do you happen to have any contacts there?

chrisc 12-23-2007 04:12 PM

Forsyth County Fair Grounds? I Think it has a large parking lot across the street from the fair grounds. They also have the midget racing complex on the site so there may be some precedence in the deal. I'd bet that a few peachstater's who live in the county know the right people to contact. My neighbor is one of the county commissioners and he is a pretty good dude.