Sponsored by:

McLaren's New Second Driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Whose yer daddy?

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:00 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still love that picture! I wonder what is really happening there? I'll start:

"Stop drinking! You want to end up being mid-pack in DTM???"
Old 12-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Cut out this **** or I'm going to tell Ron that I want my seat back!"
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:26 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Button: Kovalainen won't play second fiddle

www.autosport.com

By Alan Baldwin Monday, December 17th 2007, 11:43 GMT

Lewis Hamilton cannot expect an easy ride from new McLaren teammate Heikki Kovalainen next year, according to Briton Jenson Button.

"I'm sure he (Kovalainen) is not interested in just finishing a few races in front, I'm sure he wants to go for the title," the Honda driver told Reuters at the weekend's Race of Champions event.

"He won't hold back just because he's got Lewis as a teammate. I think it's good for both of them."

Kovalainen signed for McLaren last week in what amounted to a straight swap with double world champion Fernando Alonso, who rejoined Renault after a difficult season at the Mercedes-powered Formula One team.

Alonso had complained about McLaren's policy of equal treatment for their two drivers, with the Spaniard expecting number one billing alongside his 22-year-old rookie team mate.

Hamilton, who has been backed by McLaren for the past decade, is expected to lead the team's 2008 challenge after winning four races and finishing overall runner-up by a single point to Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen.

Kovalainen had a patchier debut season with former champions Renault, looking ragged in his first race but eventually outperforming experienced Italian team mate Giancarlo Fisichella.

He was still surplus to requirements at Renault, who opted to partner Alonso with Brazilian rookie Nelson Piquet junior, and in danger of missing out on a race seat when it seemed McLaren were leaning more towards their Spanish test driver Pedro de la Rosa.

"He's a great guy and deserves to stay in a team," said Button of the Finn. "Having him not racing in Formula One would be wrong. It's great that he's got a drive."

Kovalainen has said he expects equal treatment to Hamilton.

"One thing that I wanted to establish before signing was that I'd be treated equally," he told BBC radio. "I think we can fight on the track as much as we can but off the track we can laugh about it."

Hamilton's father Anthony said he was looking forward to a less controversial year after a season that also saw McLaren fined a record US$100 million and lose all their constructors points for a spying controversy.

"I don't expect any issues with team mates or other teams or drivers," he said.

"We've all had a rough 2007, I think everybody's focus next year will be; "Let's just have a good year whoever wins'. That's what we want.

"Heikki is a decent guy, Lewis is a decent guy, so I'm sure they'll get on well. We've known him for a long time - Lewis and Heikki raced karts against each other."
Old 12-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

"Did you drink ALL of the bottle above us, Kimi????"
Old 12-17-2007, 12:18 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I'll say one thing, I wish they would stop talking to Lewis's father. Who cares what he thinks. And stop showing his face every race weekend.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
I'll say one thing, I wish they would stop talking to Lewis's father. Who cares what he thinks. And stop showing his face every race weekend.
+1
Old 12-17-2007, 09:17 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Kovalainen vows to get along with Hamilton

Heikki, is different,this finn kiss ****.......

By Jonathan Noble and Edd Straw Monday, December 17th 2007, 18:16 GMT

Heikki Kovalainen has promised Lewis Hamilton a trouble-free relationship next year, and insists there will be no repeat of the dramas the Briton endured with Fernando Alonso this season.

The Finn was announced as Hamilton's 2008 teammate on Friday and, ahead of starting work with the engineers at McLaren's factory today, Kovalainen is already eyeing better times for the team.

"Obviously it's not for me to comment on the situation between the team and Fernando Alonso, but I'll do everything I can to help the team move forward," Kovalainen told autosport.com.

"The relationship with the team will be very good. I will do everything to try to beat Lewis, and I'm sure he will do the same with me. But if he beats me I will just go home, work, and try and come back stronger the following weekend.

"I won't cause any problems within the team. If there are any issues we will talk and we will solve any problems more creatively."
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
"I won't cause any problems within the team. If there are any issues we will talk and we will solve any problems more creatively."
Wayne,

Since you don't seem to remember anymore how real men talk and are more familiar with whining, below is a translation of what Heikki is saying:

"I won't start whining every time team forgets to hold my hand. If there are any issues we will talk and we will solve any problems like men do, face to face instead of crying to media.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
...I will do everything to try to beat Lewis, and I'm sure he will do the same with me. But if he beats me I will just go home, work, and try and come back stronger the following weekend...
This should b self explanatory?

"If he beats me I will just go home, work, and try and come back stronger"
Why couldn't Alonso just shut the **** up and do the same?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:41 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

OK Heikki, I will talk to my dad and get you on team mclaren , a few tidbits,

1. you will carry my J-strap on race weekends,
2. I like my water at room temperature
3. the lighter Q3 fuel load is mine , don't ask
4. If you happen to be on the podium the cheers are for me
5. if there is a cockup, it is your fault
6. most important and must be said at all driver meetings and interviews, as it is very much a mclaren culture, all drivers are treated " equally"
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2007, 11:07 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Heiki has nothing to prove. He is coming to a team with a winning record and will be the new man. Hamilton has everything to prove. If Heiki is ahead in the points, expect to see (and hear) alot of whinning and excuses from Hamilton. Personally, I really hope Heiki outpaces Hamilton. Let's see how RD spins that one! I'm sure the Finn would love to see many Kimi-Heiki one two Fin(n)ish!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
Heiki has nothing to prove. He is coming to a team with a winning record and will be the new man. Hamilton has everything to prove. If Heiki is ahead in the points, expect to see (and hear) alot of whinning and excuses from Hamilton. Personally, I really hope Heiki outpaces Hamilton. Let's see how RD spins that one! I'm sure the Finn would love to see many Kimi-Heiki one two Fin(n)ish!
I agree, new guys is always a new guy and has disadvantage especially in the beginning of the season. I doubt he will challenge Hamilton in the beginning but as the season goes on and Heikki (it's with two K's btw) gets more familiar, he will challenge.
I think everyone else here agrees on that, well, except Wayne of course.

1-2 Finnish podium would be very sweet... But hey, put Nico there as well and I'm done!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:44 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Its amazing how the press loves to spin things.
This is from the autosport article:
Alonso had complained about McLaren's policy of equal treatment for their two drivers, with the Spaniard expecting number one billing alongside his 22-year-old rookie team mate.
What Alonso complained of was the lack of equal treatment, which is the exact opposite. His teammate was favored by the team. If only it was true and there was equal treatment. We would have had a 3xWDC.
Raj
Old 12-18-2007, 12:38 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,894 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Raj, Raj, Raj, The way I saw it is that Alonso complained when he didn't get clear #1 status when McLaren saw that Hamilton, surprisingly had as much pace or more than Alonso, which allowed the team to have equal treatment as they had 2 drivers that could win.

I would love to see a Ferrari, McLaren, BMW, Renault battle for the title this year. That being said, I see a large fall off for McLaren, not because of Alonsos dismissal, but more because McLaren, as an entire organization, is in a tailspin and their pilot is Ron Dennis.

Quick Reply: McLaren's New Second Driver