Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968T catches Carrera GT at VIR! (video)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Up until a few months ago, I owned a GT car with a LOT of motor, made by a company other than Porsche. I used to track it on street tires a couple of times a year. It was heavy, and tended to understeer, but was actually well balanced when steered with the throttle. It was also significantly undertired in the front. As such, I could not carry the speeds thru the corners that many other cars could, but boy did she like to go on the long straights!

As a result, I would routinely lift coming out of corners when others were catching me so they could get by on the ensuing straight, rather than mess them up by nailing it at WOT.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Now, if there was a video of him passing Larry Herman...that would be something...
Old 11-28-2007, 11:34 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jester911
With the value of the CGT even with deep pockets most wouldn't push too hard. The fact that they are willing to take it to the track at all is pretty impressive IMHO
The guy who owns the CGT bought the car, and brought it to the track something like 5 days after purchasing it. Unfortunately the car got up close and personal with the tires in turn 10. He fixed the car and had it back on track the following season. The owner is one of the nicest guys Ive met at a DE. At one point his CGT was acting as the VIR taxi taking everyone for a ride that wanted one.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:38 AM
jester911
Drifting

Originally Posted by J Silverman
The guy who owns the CGT bought the car, and brought it to the track something like 5 days after purchasing it. Unfortunately the car got up close and personal with the tires in turn 10. He fixed the car and had it back on track the following season. The owner is one of the nicest guys Ive met at a DE. At one point his CGT was acting as the VIR taxi taking everyone for a ride that wanted one.

I love to hear that. That car is especially one that could never really be fully appreciated sitting in a garage or even street driven.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

The 968 Turbo used to be (maybe still is) owned by a fellow Dr. John that has (or had) a speed shop in the DC/MD area. It is fast, but not as fast as a CGT in any vector.

A CGT could hit 180 on the back straight so 159 is an indication that someone was soft-peddling the car.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Now, if there was a video of him passing Larry Herman...that would be something...
Pfffttt....who HASN'T passed him?
Old 11-28-2007, 12:03 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

more power to him!

While droving a 912 I passed the Yagger 962 between the lower and upper esses at VIR some years ago. The driver was mucking around with something on the dash as near as I could tell while I and some other drovers were puttering by him. A lap or two later I guess he got the CD to work or the radio station dialed in as he ripped past along line of us on the back straight. Nice line of arms all sticking out the window. Very cool to see.

If Dr. John was driving the 968 turbo I bet he was doing very well in what he had on tap and gave the CGT a good run.

Last edited by kurt M; 11-28-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Dr John would have liked to be driving a 962 turbo -- but, he was droving his 968 Turbo - which seems to be every bit as fast on accel as the Carrera GT. The suspension on the 911 is working much better now and caught the CGT in the roller coaster. On Monday with TrackDaze, intermediate group, Sally had fun with a Viper Coupe that was driven the same way.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As mentioned by Alexander earlier, the video is really meaningless because the CGT wasn't being driven to the limit, and if you swapped out drivers I'm sure it wouldn't have been close. As also mentioned earlier by sjanes, while such "kill" videos can be meaningless they can also be fun, and that is the spirit in which I posted it. I'm certainly not implying a 968T is a better/faster car than a CGT, but I think it's pretty cool that a great driver in a very fast 15-year old FEWC Porsche can catch a competent driver in Porsche's newest supercar, even if the supercar isn't being driven at 10/10ths.

It was also pretty cool being out on the track with a car like the CGT and hearing the wonderful sounds it makes while it goes by. I'm very appreciative that the owner doesn't keep it as a garage queen, but takes it to the track to enjoy it and let others enjoy it as well.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Bull993tt
Rennlist Member

If the 968T was yellow. It was definately Dr. John. He just put a very expensive new 3.0 Turbo in the car built to the hilt. I've heard estimates of 550+ RWHP. Also, Dr. John is prettty talented behind the wheel.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was Dr John, but I don't remember it being yellow, looks like seal gray metallic, same color as the TT and the GT2. I thought it probably had more power then the CGT.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:30 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Who cares about any of this? I guess I must since I read all the threads. Faster and more valueable car does not translate into better lap times.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:51 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Which track is that? It looks fun.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:50 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Jason,

I know of the car/driver and as you have said a nice guy. Last time I saw the car, it was spinning up the toe of the boot at the Glen in front of me parking a couple feet off the guard rail facing traffic.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:51 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Who cares about any of this? I guess I must since I read all the threads. Faster and more valueable car does not translate into better lap times.
Over under is ........... 5 pages.

Quick Reply: 968T catches Carrera GT at VIR! (video)