Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who says the track is safe to drive on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:49 AM
mpaton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much to my surprise (I was googling "racecar plywood rubbing strips"), I found that the state of New Jersey appears to regulate racetracks and racecars to some degree. I found

http://www.njsp.org/news/pdf/072307_...egulations.pdf

Michael
Old 10-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

NJ does indeed regulate racing. the Thuderbolt managers told me last weekend that they had to write the roadracing regulations for the state because they were the first roadracing venue since regulatoin started.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:26 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 612 Likes on 300 Posts

I can only speak for Suncoast Region PCA DE's at Sebring but here is my approch. I drive at least 3-4 laps before anyone goes on the hot track at Sebring, I look for cone placements, debris, and any noticable track configuration changes. In the past I have found dirt still on track at turn 5, the concrete barrier moved in at turn 16 and obviously miss placed cones. If it is a condition such as dirt I ask the representative from the track to clear issue up before first car goes out. If in the case of barrier movement I mention that change in driver meeting, that way all students but most importantly all solo and Instructors are made aware to review their approch to that particular turn or cofiguration change. Most of the time the drivers at the DE think I am out there just getting in some more laps but I think this effort is fundamental to staying current on track conditions and safety,
Rich
CTI
Siuncoast Region PCA
Old 10-26-2007, 03:05 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 Glad to see someone from the event... checks the track before turning people loose.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:57 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run with some groups that the standard cone placement in one turn at PIR is smack in the middle of the track. They always say 'you don't need to run that wide' but that leaves no room for error. Invariably this cone gets punted... but what if it got lodged in a wheel well and started a fire or caused an accident. This is a hazard placed by event personnel.

I've had words with them before but they just say "Don't go that wide". This is a group which holds SCCA races on the weekend and runs a DE event the Friday prior. I almost lost it in that turn one time and got the rear end swung out... if that cone had been there I would have taken it out... perhaps taking away my ability to save the spin.

As for prep at Portland both the track officials and the event staff lap the track prior to participants. They make fixes as necessary, and share notes regarding pavement conditions, water, goose crap, and other hazards that are normal for us here. They even make note of that stupid cone. It doesn't even mark a turn in or apex... no clue why they do it.

That said, the track was just repaved in the last couple weeks and that whole set of corners was changed. Can't wait til spring to get out there again and check it out.

Quick Reply: Who says the track is safe to drive on?