Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a NASA HPDE event?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:54 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone done a NASA HPDE event?

I'm interested in some feedback. Since my goal is to go racing eventually, I'm attracted to the "race craft" aspect of the higher levels of their HPDE program. (open passing, etc.)

Anyone have any experience with NASA HPDE?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I've done quite a few, starting with HPDE1. Currently running in the NASA time trial series, which is a blast and a great lead in to W2W racing. Nothing but thumbs up for NASA-SE where I have most of my experience.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, but you won't get race craft there
Old 10-05-2007, 01:08 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Yes, but you won't get race craft there
Could you explain? This is exactly the kind of feedback that I'm looking for... thanks in advance...
Old 10-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Open passing is VERY different from racing. There really isn't any way to get race craft from a Drivers Education environment. You can experiment with driving off line, change your braking points, take late passes, etc. but not much more. I've found so far that the only way to learn race craft outside of one of the big schools is to go racing. Remember that most passes happen going into the corner and are taken, in HPDE passes are in the straight and given (with or without the point by).

One place you will get race craft with NASA is in their competition school. I highly recommend it even if you're not ready to race yet.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:04 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by weneversleep
I'm interested in some feedback. Since my goal is to go racing eventually, I'm attracted to the "race craft" aspect of the higher levels of their HPDE program. (open passing, etc.)

Anyone have any experience with NASA HPDE?
I have done a few and instruct in our NASA regions DE program. I race almost exclusivly in NASA.

In general it is a nice organization. Each region is run by different people so while they are NASA they are not all identical.

The biggest thing to understand about NASA is that all cars are welcome and this means you get a greater mix of drivers that a PCA event. Not bad just different.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:10 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Open passing is VERY different from racing. There really isn't any way to get race craft from a Drivers Education environment. You can experiment with driving off line, change your braking points, take late passes, etc. but not much more. I've found so far that the only way to learn race craft outside of one of the big schools is to go racing. Remember that most passes happen going into the corner and are taken, in HPDE passes are in the straight and given (with or without the point by).

One place you will get race craft with NASA is in their competition school. I highly recommend it even if you're not ready to race yet.
I agree with this.
The NASA HPDE program is still DE. This means it is instruction for open track. They have passing drills and other things to help you feel comfortable driving off line and making safe un-contested passes, but they don't teach racing their HPDE program. Even the comp school does not really teach racecraft. I consider racecraft to the art of making a pass or definding a pass while the other guy is trying to stop you. This kind stuff is rarely taught and in most cases needs to be learnd by racing wheel to wheel. If you want to learn race craft fast karting is the best way.

It may sound strange, but there are some competition liceses drivers that run in races, but know very little racecraft. Experience in competiton is needed to develop race craft.

Still I think the NASA HPDE program is an excellent place to start if you want race.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:51 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

I started out with a fairly extensive DE background (driving and instructing). I then progressed to PCA racing and loved it. I was VERY leary of NASA. I did my 1st NASA event 2+ years ago and LOVED it. The 2 groups I've run with, SE and Mid Atlantic (and nationals at Mid- Ohio) have been very friendly, easy going BUT very professional and safe!

I did a the BMW comp. school at Roebling (yes, with my Porsche...like bringing a gun to a knife fight lol!). That was by far the best decision I made. I very well run 3 day school that prepared me very well for racing. It was 2.5 days of extensive classroom and on track lessions, ending with a graduation race. if they still do that school in December I would recommend it!!

I agree with all that say you just can't learn racing in DE's. I think that's the best place to start, but there's a real leap in track safety and knowledge from DE's to racing. I can't speak to TT's as I haven't done them...yet.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:56 PM
ronbo56
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Great Experience w/NASA Northeast

I did my first PDA/NASA-Northeast at the Glen a few weeks ago. Outstanding experience in every way. Very well run event, very friendly and supportive people (organizers and drivers alike). I think Trackmasters is more coaching-oriented and SCDA is more classroom-focused, while NASA - at least in my run group - was more about providing seat time. There was a wide range of cars at the event, including plenty of Porsches, but probably a third or more were Corvettes.

The overall tone of the event seemed a little more casual than NNJR. Drivers were expected to act like grownups and almost everyone did. I had the impression that on average drivers were older than at NNJR events. If true, that could be one reason things were more relaxed.

I was assigned to HPDE 3 (upper intermediate). This worked out very well for me, as there were no trains and no incidents, just plenty of talented drivers to chase. The rules prohibited passing in corners and required point-bys. A few drivers didn't wait for a point-by on the back straight but they passed wide and no one seemed to mind. They certainly didn't get black-flagged for it.

There were a couple of offs but no car-to-car contact. Our group had one classroom session, which consisted mostly of Q&A about specific corners and further admonitions to play nicely. Groups 1 and 2 had more classroom time but I don't know what it involved.

One highlight of the event was a track walk after the first day. Led by an instructor, we drove from corner to corner in our street cars and got out to discuss the line. Absolutely indispensable for understanding WGI. (And I got to take my SUV on the track!)

I will be up there again October 12-14 for the open track day and DE/race weekend.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbo56
I was assigned to HPDE 3 (upper intermediate). This worked out very well for me, as there were no trains and no incidents, just plenty of talented drivers to chase. The rules prohibited passing in corners and required point-bys. A few drivers didn't wait for a point-by on the back straight but they passed wide and no one seemed to mind. They certainly didn't get black-flagged for it.

In NASA-SE, HDPE 3 is pass anywhere with a point-by. HPDE 4 is pass anywhere, no point by needed, but dive bombing is not tolerated.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:08 PM
ronbo56
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lemming
In NASA-SE, HDPE 3 is pass anywhere with a point-by. HPDE 4 is pass anywhere, no point by needed, but dive bombing is not tolerated.
So I gather. I don't know whether straights-only is a NASA-NE rule or something specific to Watkins Glen.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:02 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NASA is a great organization and I also race with them. They are structured to take you from never having been on a track and progress you through to the race school and racing if you so choice.
Excellent group of people.
3 is open passing on the straights, 4 is open passing anywhere and runs with the TT group with transponders. After that it is the race group.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:07 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

h...ll yes what a great group of guys !!! one of my favorite events to go to! great instructors may not have alot of instructors used to driving 911s but still worth there time. they also have great instructor canidate program
Old 10-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another thumbs up for NASA DE. Did a few (required) before getting the race license. I was impressed by the DE and like HPDE4 better than PCA DE (due to open passing). Our PCA does not allow passing in turns in any run group.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:06 AM
cardsrule
Pro

I give nasa a big thumbs up. I started last year with them and have done 10 days so far. I feel much safer with nasa than i do with the pca (not to say the pca de are bad). In fact i will be at PIR with them tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a NASA HPDE event?