Sponsored by:

Are some Students Prima Donna's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:46 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
If you did the advance programs , why do DE's with an Instructor ? ...
Move on to CR....
A racer is a racer. They will not allow things to stand in between themselves and racing. No excuses, no BS about why they can't race or why they need more time to prepare or how next year is always going to be the year for them.

Even Jim Clark was humbled by others early in his career. But he did not make excuses or talk about it. He stuck to it, stayed out there and mastered the craft.

Racers race (or overcome the obstacles as quickly as possible). Those who only talk about it are not racers and never will be. Only the racer initially knows if they are overcoming obstacles to race or are spewing excuses. After a while, everyone else knows too.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:00 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Paolo,

Would it be fair to say you like would everyone to tell you publicly that you are a "great driver", so you won't have to say it yourself? This is not a dig, nor am I going some where with this. I am just trying to understand your thinking since I may be in a car with you some day.
In short, no.....

What I just can't understand why the majority (and I am not referring to you personally Bob) in these RL forum thinks that every Green student that comes to their first event in is a retard, a danger to himself and to their instructor, a spin waiting to happen and will take years and a miracle to advance to higher levels......

I think the Green students deserve a bit more respect than that......

Bob, looking forward to run with you one day.......
Old 10-07-2007, 03:03 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Mark, I am a dentist.

I am used to people not liking me and to their insults......

Have a great day.......
Old 10-07-2007, 03:38 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paolo,

I have no opinion of a green student before the first day is over, none. I think the DE format is much like school and alot of drovers do want to be noticed for advancing their skill level. I see no problem with the ego getting a boost. I was given a blue student (19yrs old) at SP two months ago to get him ready for Club racing. Yep, that was what he wanted to accomplish in his sessions and the CI had suggested it. He has alot of car, 996TT and it's very well set up. The two days went well enough that I signed off on him to white with two other instructor's evaluations.
I don't think any instructor here would have handled the situation any differently. Following the event at SP, I remained very concerned for his safety during a race even though his ability had not shown any issues. I even followed him the next event at Pocono for a session, pushing his line in the infield where it would do little more than get the car dirty. Again, he did fine (little bobbles).

He did his first race(s) this weekend and sounds like he did well (2 sprint firsts). I don't know how much competition there was in his class since most cars are headed south to Fla, but he finished the race(s) and stayed out of trouble.

There are instructors here with alot more experience than me and they have seen at least 50 Bostons with mixed results so take their advice as they are actually showing you alot of consideration.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Speaking for myself only, I can tell you that I never start out with any preconceived opinions about any student, green or any other color (exactly as I try very hard to do with any other interactions in my life). I begin to form opinons about a student, or any individual, based on what they do and say, then continue to watch what they do and listen to what they say as time goes on and they progress, or not. Those who don't like my view that is formed after following this process sometimes spend a lot of time looking for some external reason, because it just couldn't have been caused by them.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Barfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, but what does dentistry have to do with HPDE or racing? It seems to come up a lot in your posts.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:21 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pyruvate
Just curious, but what does dentistry have to do with HPDE or racing? It seems to come up a lot in your posts.
Nothing........

But people dislike dentists as I am disliked on this forum, that is all.....
Old 10-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

A few comments. Boston you created a persona as the 'student from hell' with your early posts. Remember two crashed cars? Then it was stuff about being fastest in your novice group.
I took you as a student because I did not dare assign you to one of my instructors!

That being said, you turned out to be a talented driver and a nice guy.

You will progress quickly. Remember though, we cannot teach you experience there is no substitute for seat time.

For the other instructors here:I took him under my wing at LCMT and again at Calabogie. Given his rep, he was watched closely. He did well. Clean driving and good on track etiquette.

Regards
Old 10-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So, when watched closely and the CI keeps a thumb on him, he does well?......JK!
Old 10-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Reality is he is a really good guy and loves driving (as all of us here do). He isn't boisterous at the track, just the opposite, he looks for input and critique at every opportunity. I would hold off on any judgments based on this cyber-racetrack and meet him at the track when possible. I was called an "A-Type" that was going to be watched carefully once (well, once that I KNOW of!) because of an exuberant email to my soon-to-be instructor. We met and within two minutes we no longer had negative outlooks about each other. The internet is a great place to talk about the track but it ISN'T the track.

Rant over, nothing to see here.. move along.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:57 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you guys secret lovers?

j/k, getting you back from last week's comment about sean

WRT the Internet, I try not to reach any final conclusions about anyone until I have met them and been able to hang out with them for awhile.

I met Paolo once. Apart from wearing a full three-layer fire suit and helmet just to WATCH the club race last year, he was perfectly friendly and normal

just kidding. we barely met and I wish I had not been so busy so that we could have talked longer.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Given the opportunity, I usually have dinner with Paolo (Boston DMD) and the rest of the "usual suspects" at least one night per DE event at Lime Rock. He's not at all like his perceived RL persona/in fact just the opposite. He's quiet, loves to drive and wants to improve like the rest of us. Even though I've never sat in his right seat, I would welcome the opportunity.
Rick
Old 10-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
WRT the Internet, I try not to reach any final conclusions about anyone until I have met them and been able to hang out with them for awhile.
I could not agree more.

With one exception. And I think you know who I mean. Cough cough pink hair cough cough.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=BostonDMD;4648646]

I am not trying to replace Alonso, Hamilton or VR....................[UNQUOTE]

Really? You don't seem to get it. Students who are preoccupied with promotion raise lots of red flags with most instructors.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:02 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer asking for a promotion as opposed to brown nosing.......That is just my style......... To each his own......
Pffff...

Style has no value in a student. Shut your mouth, drove your car, please & thank you, and wait your turn. You'll get what you deserve when you deserve it. It has worked just fine for everyone that I know of substance here. Why not you?

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
A few comments. Boston you created a persona as the 'student from hell' with your early posts. Remember two crashed cars? Then it was stuff about being fastest in your novice group. I took you as a student because I did not dare assign you to one of my instructors!
Oh my...

I've been laboring under false pretense. With that resume, he is quite obviously ready for CR, and I think he should follow on post haste... PLEASE.

You know, I remember Greg Fishman saying that "he was a real enthsuaist" when asked about meeting ColorChange. Is that like saying someones face has character? Whitewash. I talked to someone else that actually met him, and said he was just as big a flapping hemorrhoid in person as online. So, is Boston just an Electronic Little Bigman, or putting on an act in person? If he's not a personal fraud, then I'm really mistified by the online cement forehead deal.

In the end, just momentary entertainment for the occasionally bored.

Quick Reply: Are some Students Prima Donna's?