07 Italian GP, Preview , News and Results

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:03 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Italian GP, Preview , News and Results

Danger : The information displayed and discussion on this F1 forum can be Harmful and dangerous to some , please check with a Medical professional before venturing Here......

Even though Imola and Fiorano may be the physical homes of Ferrari, Monza is the spiritual home of the Scuderia. It is the cathedral at which all tifosi come to worship, though this year they may need to pray for some divine intervention. McLaren were fastest on all four days of last week's Monza test, and though Felipe Massa crept up to a whisker of Pedro de la Rosa's Friday time, it's one thing being close to the test driver, it's another thing being close to Alonso or Hamilton.

The Italian circuit isn't a technical challenge, neither is it subject to high wind which can make getting the perfect set-up difficult. What it does have is high kerbs and long straights and the key to a quick lap is being able to monster the car over the kerbs, taking the shortest route possible and getting back on the throttle again.

In the Turkish GP we saw that the Ferraris didn't do well over the kerbs of the final two corners and their challenge this weekend will be to minimize the loss to McLaren without straining their engines too much.

That's because the next two races - Monza and Spa - will be the hardest of the season in terms of running at maximum revs for longest. This, coupled with the fact that we had testing at the circuit the week before is likely to mean reduced running on Friday and Saturday, but particularly Friday. It may also mean that we get a 2x2 grid with teams qualifying very close together.

The good news for the Ferrari drivers is that team boss Jean Todt has given them the freedom to race each other at Monza and that either can win the race if they want to. The fact that Felipe Massa is just one point ahead of Kimi Raikkonen in the World Championship makes that decision a whole lot easier. However with the track likely to favour McLaren this weekend all eyes will be back on the intra-team duel between Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso.

Here they explain why Monza is a particularly exciting prospect and predict how they might fare at the fastest race of the year…

Fernando Alonso, McLaren
2006 Qualifying - 10th, 2006 Race - DNF
“The Monza track is not like any other we race on during the season, it is all about high speeds. The cars always feel so different, very light and not always under control to be honest! That is because of the low downforce we use to get the high speeds. The wings are the thinnest we run and there will be a lot of Monza specific parts on the car. With this small amount of downforce, you then have to adapt areas such as braking stability and mechanical balance to get good grip in the corners, because the lack of downforce means the car has very little. We spent time testing these on the track this week, and we had some good feedback so I feel positive going into the race.

“It is a challenge, but it is a special circuit and it is a great feeling to race here. Last year did not give me any good memories, but it is a track that I would really like to win at so hopefully we can make that happen in 2007. The track is very famous for the Parabolica corner, alongside all the straights. It is flat out, and you really have to be on the edge and push the car hard, which is a real feeling of risk because of the light handling of the car. To get a quick lap time here, you have to be strong through Parabolica as it takes you back onto the longest straight of them all over the start / finish line.”

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren
2006 Qualifying - NA, 2006 Race - NA
“Monza is a very historic circuit, so it is quite special when you go there for any driver. It is a great track, you have the long, long straights and some great high speed corners. I had my first race there last year in GP2 and it was a very memorable weekend because it was where I won the championship. I also had an awesome battle with Giorgio Pantano for the whole of the Sunday race, which was one of the most enjoyable for me all year.

“Hopefully this year I will have just as good a race and great memories for the future. I remember it is not an easy track to get a good set-up at, so the test this week was very useful. It is really tough on the cars, and you have to use the kerbs a lot to get quick lap times. Because of this we have a softer suspension package to make the car ride over them better so we can use them more and in a bid to avoid any damage. Slowing the cars down with the incredibly low downforce is not easy, and the balance under braking is key. This was another area we worked on in the test.”

Giancarlo Fisichella, Renault
2006 Qualifying - 9th, 2006 Race - 4th
“It means even more because this is the only race in Italy this season, because we haven't been to Imola! I have always enjoyed racing at Monza, ever since I won here in Formula 3. I got on the podium in 2005 as well, the first Italian to do that since Alboreto. It is a challenging circuit for the drivers, and I have some good memories, so I am looking forward to seeing what we can do this year.

“We have been working hard to ensure the car can be competitive. Our test last week was spent preparing for the race, even though bad weather on Thursday restricted our running. Like the other teams, we have a specific, new aerodynamic package for this race, which is adapted to the specific demands of the circuit. We know that our engine is strong too, but even though we have tested here recently, it will still be important to make good use of practice to fine-tune the car, and find the right compromise for qualifying and the race.”

Heikki Kovalainen, Renault
“I think it is a very exciting race, because of the layout and also the atmosphere. This is a special weekend in the F1 season. The circuit is very fast, you run very light downforce and the drivers need to maintain total concentration throughout. You often see quite dramatic races here as well, and the Ferrari supporters will be out in force this weekend to cheer on their team. Our goal will be to put on a strong performance for the fans who are supporting us out in the stands too.

“It is very demanding for the drivers and the teams. The car feels very 'light' to drive, and slides very easily in the corners. Lesmo One and Lesmo Two are particularly tricky, because you take them in fourth gear at high speed and when the tyres are already a bit worn, like in race conditions, it is very difficult to control the car. Those are the unique challenges Monza offers.”

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari
2006 Qualifying - 1st, 2006 Race - 2nd
“I'll race at Monza for the first time with a Ferrari and it will be really special to feel the heat of the tifosi: I can't wait to see all the flags with the Prancing Horse on the grandstands. I always liked the atmosphere at this track. Already during the test many fans came to see us there and it's good to know that you can rely on their support. This is a very special track from the technical point of view; it's different from all the others. You need good aerodynamics, so you remain stable over the curbs, to be quick; but you also need a great engine, as you give it all for most of the lap.

“Traditionally Ferrari has been very competitive here, but also McLaren has been very strong, during the years when I raced for them, but for some reason or another I never managed to win. Let's hope we can make it this time, by being perfect from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon. Winning the homerace of Ferrari would be a great feeling.”

Ralf Schumacher, Toyota
2006 Qualifying - 13th, 2006 Race - 15th
“Turkey was a difficult weekend for me after qualifying but, despite the disappointing result, the positive thing was that the car felt good during the race. From where we were on the grid it was almost impossible to achieve a good result but I am confident we can have a better weekend in Italy. It is always nice to race in Italy because of the heritage and history of Monza.

“We will use a very low downforce set-up because of the long straights but, as well as high speed, having confidence under braking for the tight chicanes is important. It is completely different from most other circuits and that makes Monza an interesting challenge for drivers. We will have a different aero package on the car for this race because Monza is unique. I’m looking forward to this weekend and hopefully we can show the potential of our car by fighting for more points.”

Jarno Trulli, Toyota
2006 Qualifying - 11th, 2006 Race - 7th
“For me the Italian Grand Prix is special because it is my home race and I get a lot of support from my Italian fans. This is the only race in Italy so I am really looking forward to it. Monza has a really special atmosphere and it is a very different circuit compared to the others, with the very high speeds on the long straights.

“The engine plays a more important role at Monza than some other tracks and you have to work on setting up the car to be as quick as possible on the straights, but stable under braking because you need to brake hard from high speed. We had a disappointing race in Turkey after my incident at the first corner, which was a shame because the car was well balanced and we were expecting a better result. Now we will focus on getting the most out of the car in Italy and hopefully I can score points in my home race.”

Nico Rosberg, Williams
2006 Qualifying - 12th, 2006 Race - DNF
“I like racing at Monza. I have good memories there, especially from my GP2 race when I had a very good weekend, finishing in second twice and setting the fastest lap. The circuit itself is unique, has a great deal of history and it’s fun to drive. The whole lap is a great experience because every corner is different and interesting in its own way. The second chicane is fun because you have to throw the car over the kerbs, hold onto as much speed as you can and brake as late as possible, unlike at the two Lesmos where you need to brake a bit earlier. The Ascari corner and the Parabolica are also interesting for the drivers. The atmosphere at the Autodromo is brilliant thanks to the tifosi. Italy has a lot of nice places to visit, it has fantastic food and I really like the Italian attitude to life, which is probably why most of my friends are Italian!”

Alexander Wurz, Williams
“We have Monza coming up this weekend, which is always a special race because of the tifosi. I also enjoy the Italian lifestyle, so it’s nice to spend a few days there. The circuit is the last remaining high speed track on the calendar and I really like driving it. It always takes a while to get used to it but once you’ve adapted your driving style and tuned your brain into it, it’s challenging, but it’s great. I usually have good races at Monza, so I hope that continues for the coming race weekend. I want to chase a few more points to keep ahead of my team mate and so the team can move comfortably ahead of Red Bull and Toyota.”

Rubens Barrichello, Honda
2006 Qualifying - 8th, 2006 Race - 6th
“Monza is quite simply one of the most special races on the Formula One calendar and it is a real honour to race around the legendary circuit. Some of my favourite racing memories took place at this track, particularly my victories here in 2004 and 2002. The atmosphere over the race weekend takes some beating and you can really feel the history of all the great races that have taken place over the years. In terms of the track itself, Monza is the quickest circuit on the calendar, featuring very long straights where top speeds are in the region of 340 km/h so the power of the engine is very important. The cars are run in the lowest downforce configuration of the year, with stability under braking and the ability to use the kerbs being crucial to getting a good lap. We tested at Monza last week in preparation for the race, focusing on the required set-up and evaluating the tyre options. We set some reasonable lap times and the car reacted well so I am fairly happy going into the race weekend.”

Jenson Button, Honda
2006 Qualifying - 5th, 2006 Race - 5th
“I always look forward to racing at Monza and it is a track that I really enjoy as the racing around there can be very exciting and the atmosphere over the weekend is always electric. Ascari is probably my favourite part of the track and you can have a lot of fun through there, particularly in a well-balanced car. It's a very fast lap with big braking points so you have concentrate hard the whole way round and make sure that you use the kerbs to your full advantage to take every tenth from the lap. We tested here last week for four days which went well despite the unusually poor weather. We ran the car in the unique set-up required for Monza with a lower downforce setting than usual and it performed well. The race will be tough however I expect our performance to be more competitive than some of the recent races which gives cause for optimism.”

Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber
2006 Qualifying - 3rd, 2006 Race - 8th
“Monza is a very special circuit, the only real high-speed track left in Formula One. We hit speeds of up to 350 km/h on the straights, faster than at any other venue during the season. Monza has a lot of tradition and character, but unfortunately also rather outdated safety provisions. Given the high speeds we are driving at, the run-off areas are pretty small.

“I think we'll put in a good performance at Monza. It's a circuit where a good low- downforce package is important, and we're normally pretty strong in that area. The other thing you need is bags of engine power, and I think we'll be okay in that department as well. We were right up there at Monza in 2006. I was 'only' third in qualifying, but that was with a heavy fuel load. If we had all been carrying the same amount of fuel, I would most likely have been on pole. In the race itself, I still managed to get a point despite having to come in for a drive-through penalty.”

Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber
2006 Qualifying - 6th, 2006 Race - 3rd
“After doing so well at Monza last time around, we're looking forward to racing again at the lowest-downforce circuit of the season. I picked up my first podium finish in Formula One here in 2006 and am still waiting for my second. I hope we will be able to reproduce our performance of last year.

“I like most sections of the track because they are different from other circuits, quite unique. There are some very fast corners and a chicane where you jump heavily over the kerbstones. The car set-up has to be a compromise and meet the demands of both fast and slower sections, offering grip and allowing the fastest possible straight-line speed. Monza is not an easy race track.

“I lived in Italy for a long time and know Monza well after doing a lot of testing there. However, until 2006 I had never really done that well in races at the circuit. I'm a fan of Italy. I always worked with really good people in Italy and drove in karting, Formula Renault and Formula 3 races there - always for Italian teams. I have great memories of those times, especially of my karting days.”

Last edited by A.Wayne; 09-06-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:09 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Italian GP
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2007, 09:11 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Teams trying to rid of fuel burning laps

By Pablo Elizalde Wednesday, September 5th 2007, 16:45 GMT

Renault's director of engineering Pat Symonds has revealed Formula One teams are trying to get rid of the fuel burning laps drivers are forced to do under this year's qualifying regulations.

Drivers currently spend the early part of the 15-minute third qualifying segment burning off fuel, something that does not bode well in a sport aiming to become more eco-friendly.

"I think we have to find a way fuel burning laps, which is a completely strange thing to do given we're all becoming eco-friendly," Renault's technical director Bob Bell said on a podcast on Renault's website ahead of this weekend's Italian Grand Prix.

Symonds revealed the teams will meet on Thursday at Monza to discuss the possibility of getting rid of the fuel burning laps next season.

"The so-called fuel burning is no good and interestingly we're talking about that tomorrow with a view to getting rid of it for 2008," he said.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:13 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Italian GP: Ferrari preview

Racing series F1
Date 2007-09-04

"Monza was new to me when I joined Ferrari as in my younger days I was always trying to jump over the fence to get into Imola which was my home track." So says, Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro's Head of Race Track Engineering, Luca Baldisserri. "I have been with Ferrari since 1989 and I think I started attending the Italian Grand Prix every year apart from that first one. Until last year, Monza was one of two home races for us in Italy, whereas this year, without the appointment at Imola, it is the only one. That means we can expect more pressure than usual, as there is only one chance to get a good result at home."

Facing a tough challenge at Monza is nothing new for Baldisserri, who has experienced it all in the royal park in over a decade of races during which time he worked as a race engineer to several of the Scuderia's drivers. "Good memories came in 2000, when we turned the championship around with Michael (Schumacher) when we had four races to go and we had to win them all," he recalls. "And that's what we did. Monza was a key point, as this was the race where we started to change our approach to setting up the car and it paid off for the championship."

"Then we had a bad weekend the following year in 2001, when it was the weekend immediately after the events of 9/11 and emotions were running high in the paddock. Going further back to the days when Jean (Alesi) and Gerhard (Berger) were our drivers, we were always struggling a bit and never had a good car for Monza. We could never get a decent pace on our own home track. Last year in Monza was also a very emotional race day. Michael won the race and it was then that he announced he was retiring. He told the whole team over the radio after he had taken the flag that he would be retiring at the end of the year. To be honest, the rumours had already been circulating for a while, but for some of the guys it was a big surprise and I remember tears in the eyes of some of the mechanics."

"Michael had been with us for ten years and there were people in the team who had never experienced working without him. Having him as a driver was a normal thing, he was part of the furniture. It was a sad moment but we were happy for him that he had found the right equilibrium. It was also emotional for him. He took a long time to speak afterwards and his speech was very slow and full of emotion. Looking to the future and this weekend, Kimi is usually quite quick at Monza and he had pole last year, but he was a bit lighter than us and we managed to jump him at the pit stop."

Whatever the memories, it is this weekend and the unique challenge of the circuit that Baldisserri is focussed on now. "I think Monza is a great track, completely different to all other venues on the calendar and it requires a special aerodynamic setting that we use nowhere else," says the Ferrari man. "It has its characteristic very long straight and is a low downforce circuit. We were able to tune our set-up for this special configuration at last week's Monza test. To be able to do that is quite important, not only for the cars but also for the drivers, who are not used to seeing such high speeds before braking for such low speed corners such as the chicane. This means they have to tune themselves in as well as the cars."

"For example, I remember that Eddie Irvine was unable to drive at a Monza test and over the next race weekend it was difficult for him to get a decent pace immediately at the start of practice. Indeed the braking is another aspect of the package that requires a special focus at Monza. We need a specific cooling arrangement and special brake material because of the high energy we need to dissipate."

The high speed nature of the circuit is not the only special challenge provided by this track. "Until four or five years ago, we had the chicane with very high kerbs which meant it was important to have a car that could cut the kerbs as this was a way of reducing lap times," says Baldisserri. "We needed to tune the set-up in order to compromise ride height and stiffness to allow drivers to cut the kerbs and gain time. With the new chicanes, the first chicane is no longer so important, but the kerbs are still difficult at Roggia, the second chicane, so we still need to give some thought about a special set-up for this."

While the F1 drivers love the opportunity this track provides to drive at very high speeds, the circuit layout can lead to a somewhat processional Sunday afternoon. "Unfortunately, if cars are very evenly matched in terms of performance, overtaking will be very difficult," agrees Baldisserri. "Unless someone runs into problems with tyres so that he cannot approach the exit of the second Lesmo or the Parabolica in a decent way, the car in front of you is hard to pass. This means you often see a "train" at Monza. However, unlike tracks like Hungary for example where even if you have an advantage from your car, you cannot pass, here at Monza, a car advantage can help. If you have a good car but run into problems in qualifying and have to start near the back, Monza is a place where you can still gain position."

In the past, a variety of pit stop strategies were viable at this race, but that is no longer the case. "With the reduction of the speed limit in pit lane, the penalty of making an additional pit stop is now higher," reckons Baldisserri. "So, depending on tyre consistency, we could see less pit stops. Three stops will no longer be an option. The other way one can gamble is on the probability of having a Safety Car period, which is heightened by the fact the cars have very low downforce and there are some big kerbs, which can raise the chances of accidents."

"Normally, the most likely time to have a Safety Car on track is after the start of the race, when drivers are fighting for position or around the pit stop window, when the tyres are older or someone on new tyres is fighting with someone on old ones. With this year's SC rules, get it wrong and it can be a disaster, because you cannot just pit when you want, refuel and change strategy. So I think this will see people play around with the idea of just one stop."

In the past, working as a race engineer, Baldisserri's loyalties were biased towards one driver, but his current responsibilities take in both sides of the pit garage. "These days I am just happy if Ferrari wins rather than having a strong emotion for one driver," he says. "But I see the face of the "losing" race engineer if the other car has won and I remember that feeling! Now for me it is different especially at the moment, as we try to regain championship points and get first and second in every race."
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2007, 12:38 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default The circus that is F1

Note: this was from stored files author is unkown to me .I place this info when i can.

Danger : The information displayed and discussion on this F1 forum can be Harmful and dangerous to some , please check with a Medical professional before venturing Here......

After all the goings on of the last couple of months anyone who is not a follower of Formula One could be forgiven for thinking that it is actually a circus, not motor racing. Drivers dropped, spy scandals, tempers fraying on-track and off, teammates at each others' throats and penalties being thrown around; if you stuck it all in a Big Top and added some custard pies it would be hard to tell the difference.

It’s never been a secret that the smaller teams are permanently short of money and Spyker dropped Christijan Albers when sponsor payments were allegedly not forthcoming. Sure, Albers hadn’t had a clean on-track record this season but neither had teammate Adrian Sutil. The team’s subsequent hiring of Sakon Yamamoto made it very clear that money was all that mattered. Enough said.

Scott Speed was next on the firing line when Toro Rosso gave him the boot after Europe. I wonder why Toro Rosso ever hired Speed and teammate Tonio Liuzzi, since it's done nothing but slag them off ever since. The STR2 wasn’t even ready until just prior to Melbourne and the drivers had very little winter test time, so it’s hardly surprising they struggled with an uncompetitive car.

It’s undeniable that Speed and Liuzzi have made more than their fair of mistakes but they’ve also had more than their fair share of car failures. Tensions between Speed and team boss Franz Tost came to a head with an argument after the Nurburgring, where the American and Liuzzi, among others, crashed out in treacherous conditions. The result was that Speed was dropped.

Toro Rosso said his lack of performance was the reason but it doesn’t take a genius to see that Speed speaking his mind to the media after the row didn’t go down well with the team. And yet Tost and co-owner Gerhard Berger seem to think it’s fine to go round publicly blaming the drivers for everything and that they wish they could get rid of them.

Berger has been quoted as saying that it’s not so much that he wanted to keep Liuzzi for 2008 but that he didn't see many other options. That's nice for a driver to know. Maybe Tonio is better off out of it but Sebastien Bourdais seems to think he'll be better off in. It was Bourdais' choice but I can't help but wonder if Sebastian Vettel really wanted to turn his back on BMW.

Ahh Alonso, oh deary me. From the comfort zone of Renault he’s suddenly found himself in the middle of not one but two headline-grabbing controversies at McLaren. I was amazed when it was announced that Fernando was joining McLaren -- not because he was leaving Renault but because it was the Woking squad he was going to.

It takes a certain type of driver to thrive in the McLaren environment and I don’t believe Alonso is that type. I never believed Juan Pablo Montoya was either. Mika Hakkinen fitted in as part of the McLaren machine and so did Kimi Raikkonen, albeit to a slightly lesser degree. But Montoya and McLaren were doomed to failure and for the moment it seems that Alonso is regretting the move.

When Fernando signed on the dotted line for McLaren he had no idea who his teammate would be for 2007 and, as a freshly-minted double world champion, had no reason for concern anyway. Since McLaren didn’t have a second driver lined up at the time, presumably it made a lot of promises to Alonso to get him there, then sat back with a smug smile ready to reap the rewards.

Instead of a composed senior driver and a compliant rookie, Ron Dennis and the team have got a nightmare on their hands. Nobody imagined Lewis Hamilton would be a championship contender, not even Hamilton himself. So now McLaren has two extremely competitive drivers who are fighting tooth and nail for the title and wanting the team’s support to get it. Rather Ron than me, thank you very much.

What does McLaren do? Alonso, as the reigning champion, is a proven talent. If the team wants to keep him it will have to keep its end of the bargain, whatever that might be. Hamilton has been a McLaren protégé since he was about 10 and has hit the F1 scene as the most competitive rookie for years. If he feels McLaren is not supporting him enough there are plenty of other teams out there waiting in the wings.

Whatever happens, one or the other of them is going to come out of this season feeling that he has been hard done by and neither of them would be short of offers to race elsewhere. Despite McLaren’s constant denials that there is friction between the two, Hungary put a less than appealing spotlight on both of them proving just how much tension there is when the title is at stake.

The only thing we know for certain is that Hamilton refused Dennis’ requests to let Alonso past during qualifying. Hamilton confirmed that was the case, despite a team decision that Alonso would be the one to get the extra fuel-burn lap. Afterward Hamilton talked about knowing who you could trust, which was a strange comment when he’d just shown that the team couldn’t trust him to do what he was asked.

That doesn’t excuse Alonso blocking him in the pits -- but was it Fernando’s decision or the team’s? Everyone will have their own opinion but we don’t know for sure. Alonso said the team held him back and McLaren hasn’t actually contradicted that. But the 20-second holding period while waiting for an optimum track spot is not the problem, it’s the extra 10 seconds that Alonso sat in his box waiting.

Along with all the other speculation, one rumour is that McLaren wanted to punish Hamilton -- who held provisional pole -- for disobeying an order but still wanted him to get pole. Hamilton was delayed so he didn’t have enough time to do another lap but at the same time Alonso was given the wrong tyres so that he wouldn’t be able to do a good enough lap to beat his teammate.

As I said, this is a rumour -- but it ties in with Alonso’s claim in the stewards’ meeting that his extra delay was because he was questioning the tyres put on his car. Was Dennis angry afterwards because Alonso had gone out and gotten pole anyway, and was Fernando equally angry because he knew he had been given the wrong tyres?

Is Hamilton biting the hand that feeds him or just standing up for himself? Is Alonso resorting to dirty tricks or did the team use him for its own purposes? Make your own mind up, but one thing is for sure, the rivalry between them is threatening to shatter McLaren’s composure. And all this flared up when McLaren is under a lot of pressure anyway due to the drawn-out spy scandal.

I freely admit that I just don’t know what is going on with that. I find it hard to believe that McLaren would resort to using another team’s data and Ron’s bunch is not exactly keen on getting embroiled in controversies. Without irrefutable proof of McLaren actually using said data, Ferrari appears to be chasing its own tail. So why, then, is the Scuderia pursuing the matter with such single-minded intent?

The theories and rumours surrounding this are legion so to try to discuss them all is too long a task. We know McLaren’s side of the story and we know Ferrari’s side of the story but what we don’t know is the unvarnished truth -- and we probably never will. There's no doubt that Mike Coughlan had Ferrari information in his possession but did other McLaren members know about it and did the team use it?

Ferrari’s bone of contention after the WMSC meeting is that McLaren was found to be in breach of the sporting regulations but was not punished. McLaren’s view is that a sole employee is the guilty party and acted without the team’s knowledge, so the team is not to blame. But is ignorance an acceptable defence? Only the FIA international court of appeal can officially decide.

If it’s proven that McLaren really did use Ferrari data to gain an advantage I’d more surprised than if Ron Dennis had stood on his head on the podium and farted the national anthem. McLaren’s reputation has taken a severe battering from this matter and combined with the qualifying carry-on at the Hungaroring it’s going to take a lot of strength for the team to regain its equilibrium.

Last edited by A.Wayne; 09-06-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:03 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

A.Wayne - do remember to add where you have lifted copy from - otherwise people might mistake you for being even handed.

R+C
Old 09-06-2007, 09:42 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I thought he wrote it! If not, that isn't very sporting to the authors
Old 09-06-2007, 09:56 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
A.Wayne - do remember to add where you have lifted copy from - otherwise people might mistake you for being even handed.

R+C
I "am very black and white , nothing in between.......i call it as i see it , less leave the personality issues to OT, we discuss racing here , or do you want us to go over every erronous statement you have made here regarding F1 and it's participants ....... Please feel free to opine .....

Mitch - always list the author if not a link , I'm sure you can back track and check .......this is getting weary
Old 09-06-2007, 10:04 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default McLaren under investigation by stewards

By Jonathan Noble and Steve Cooper Thursday, September 6th 2007, 12:54 GMT

McLaren are under investigation by the race stewards at the Italian Grand Prix over their running of a new lightweight gearbox in Hungary that had not been crash tested, autosport.com can reveal.

Paddock sources have confirmed that discussions are currently taking place at Monza to decide whether anything needs to be done about McLaren's actions in Hungary.

It is understood that the Woking-based team ran their new lightweight gearbox at the race at Hungaroring without a new crash test taking place prior to the event.

Although the new gearbox did not require an altered crash structure from the one already approved by the FIA to be put in place, it is understood McLaren's actions could have breached article 16.1.2 of Formula One's technical regulations.

The rules state: "Any significant modification introduced into any of the structures tested shall require that part to pass a further test."

The issue of the gearbox only came to light after the Turkish Grand Prix, when McLaren passed a crash test with the new version - with the team having reverted to their older unit at the Istanbul Park event.

Sources have made it clear that McLaren did not deliberately try and hide the fact that they had raced with the lightweight gearbox in Hungary.

It is not clear whether the matter will result in action being taken. And should McLaren be found to be in breach of the rules, it is hard to predict what punishment could be handed out.

Previous precedents, like the fuel controversy involving the Williams and Benetton teams at the 1995 Brazilian Grand Prix, resulted in the team losing their constructors' championship points.

But the Hungary matter is complicated by the fact that McLaren have already lost their constructors' championship points from that event because of the qualifying controversy between Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2007, 10:21 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
I "am very black and white , nothing in between.......i call it as i see it , less leave the personality issues to OT, we discuss racing here , or do you want us to go over every erronous statement you have made here regarding F1 and it's participants ....... Please feel free to opine .....

Mitch - always list the author if not a link , I'm sure you can back track and check .......this is getting weary
I was referring to the post "The Circus That Is F1". It has neither a link or credits.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:21 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

BTW, keep it coming, I enjoy your synopsis...
Old 09-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess you didn't like my thread Wayne.....
Old 09-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Right - my 'Opine' - don't copy other people's articles and post them as if you wrote them.

Secondly, I am not aware of being 'inaccurate' about F1, I might be even handed about the teams and have been around the sport for a very long time, which is one reason I don't take Ferrari's air of injured innocence very seriously. Any more than I take your over inflated opinion of Scott Speed's abilities or your enthusiasm for the Italian legal system or the opinions of Max Mosley.

So please don't fire off totally untrue accusations by way of defending your own shoddy behaviour.

R+C
Old 09-06-2007, 10:40 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,873 Likes on 1,709 Posts

For what it's worth and my if my memory serves me correctly, A. Wayne, you have included the author 99% of the time. The piece about the F1 Circus did not however, and at first, I thought you may have wrote it, until I remembered that you fail to capitalize your "i"'s.

I think we all enjoy and read your posted previews, keep 'em coming. We're a bit sensitive this morning, aren't we?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:47 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Right - my 'Opine' - don't copy other people's articles and post them as if you wrote them.

Secondly, I am not aware of being 'inaccurate' about F1, I might be even handed about the teams and have been around the sport for a very long time, which is one reason I don't take Ferrari's air of injured innocence very seriously. Any more than I take your over inflated opinion of Scott Speed's abilities or your enthusiasm for the Italian legal system or the opinions of Max Mosley.

So please don't fire off totally untrue accusations by way of defending your own shoddy behaviour.

R+C
Hmmm, Bugger off seems to come to mind right about now ....
Even Handed , you would'nt know the middle if it was painted neon pink ....Scott Speed seems to bothering you as much as he did Berger , wonder what is your even Handed opinion of the fast sinking Vettel,, Hmmm , thought so....
As to your wild accusations and assumptions bugger off ,, as your opinion is just that your's, everyone has one and in your analysis you have been wrong 100 % of the time , of course my opinion , you refuse to answer direct questions , always answering with smoke and mirror's, you are a little man @ best nord , ...........
Unless you would like to enlighten us with your wisdom on F1......leave the personality @home

Last edited by A.Wayne; 09-06-2007 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 07 Italian GP, Preview , News and Results