Sponsored by:

Clocked at 105 and handcuffed....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 04:19 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

On a partially related topic, I personally think that a loaded 18 wheeler going downhill in 101 at 55 mph is way more dangerous than a 911 Carrera going on the fast lane at 75 mph.

When I have driven in Europe or South America, I have noticed a way higher level of driving talent than the one seen here in U.S. Unfortunately, anybody can get a driver license, without having the proper driving skills.

The traffic law is just a consequence of that majority of unskilled driver, an unexpected profitable model, and lack of complaints by the citizens.

Law enforcement resources are just following the rules, their actions are a consequence of the traffic law, and that law is outdated. It is their job, and they should not be blamed for executing their work following those outdated rules.

Don't you think that cars from the 1970s were more dangerous at 65 mph than today cars at 75 mph?

Don't you think that there should be a multi-level driver license program, where the operator should prove enough skills and experience to drive a high performance car?

Something is definitely wrong on the driver's education system, to justify one of the highest death tolls in the world related to car accidents.

To those legislators concerned about losing their line of revenue, just increase the ridiculously low speed limit, and increase the speeding fines as well, so the revenues stay the same. Make the high performance car driver license more expensive and more difficult to get.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The auto industry is one of the forces that drive our economy. Less drivers = less cars sold = recession. The math is pretty simple.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car manufacturing industry in the US is nowhere near as important as it used to be. I believe that the domestic manufacturers now have less than half the new car market. (According to Automotive News)

The US as a whole has bloody awful public transport, one consequence of this is that you have to give a licence to anybody who wants one. Imagine LA with Manhattan grade busses, commuter trains, subway, coastal ferries etc. and then repeat that in Sacto, the Bay Area (not just BART), San Diego, with passenger trains all over the state and coordinated bus timetables that meet trains. The cost of building all this is horrendous.

Driver Education is taken seriously in some European countries, getting a licence in Germany is no laughing matter, either intellectually or financially, not everybody drives. The only people I know in the US who don't drive live in Manhattan and downtown SF and they are in the film business so registered wierdos. I know quite a few Europeans who can't drive, they are just city folk, who manage really well with public transport.

As the roads get more congested, intercity trains become more and more attractive, you can walk around, work eat and drink instead of sitting in a line of traffic.

Whilst everybody has to be able to drive, don't expect the standard of driving to improve.

R+C
Old 09-06-2007, 03:04 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
The car manufacturing industry in the US is nowhere near as important as it used to be. I believe that the domestic manufacturers now have less than half the new car market. (According to Automotive News)
I don't totally disagree with you. However, don't forget about the impact of the foreign automaker's assembly and manufacturing plants in the US (BMW in SC, Toyota in KY, Honda in OH, Mercedes in AL, Nissan in TN, etc.) Although the Big 3 have less market share than a few decades ago, not all of the jobs were shipped overseas.

Quick Reply: Clocked at 105 and handcuffed....