Sponsored by:

NOOB question on 993 brake flush

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 05:08 PM
ard
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 111 Posts
Default NOOB question on 993 brake flush

Didn't want to hijack seattle_sun's thread on bleeding the brakes, so here goes:

2 questions:

When people talk about "flushing" the brake system, what is the fluid capacity for a NA 993? (important for knowing how much fluid to buy)

I looked up AP 600 brake fluid on the web and ran across this warning: "IMPORTANT NOTE DO NOT USE AP Super 600 fluid in contact with any type of magnesium components (e.g. gearbox / clutch components) as a chemical reaction is caused resulting in gases being generated. This will then prevent the clutch hydraulics from working efficiently"

Does this mean that on a 993, where the clutch slave cylinder is also filled with brake fluid, I cannot run AP 600 brake fluid.

Many thanks in advance. FWIW I don't mind the bit of embarrasment from asking dumb questions, versus the "uh-oh" after doing it wrong.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:53 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use AP600 in my race car. That said, I would not use it on a street car. I do not think it is even DOT rated (but could be wrong). It is not compatible with some materials and can NOT be mixed with other fluids. Also not very tolerant of water which is not a problem on a race car that you bleed a few times each weekend.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:37 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

There isnt any mag in the braking / clutch system on the 993. ATE brake fluid (Blue or 200) is fine.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:05 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One quart is enough to do a flush. IMO use a Motive Power Bleeder ($45 or so) and flush them again with another quart a week later if the existing fluid is real old. A full flush does not get all the fluid and driving some and flushing again reduces the old fluid to very low amounts by dilution. Do not let air into the system on ABS cars! Very hard to clear sometimes. Follow the directions that come with the Motive and you will be fine.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:18 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been running Motul RBF 600 and have never had any issues with it in my 993. Might want to give it a try...

Quick Reply: NOOB question on 993 brake flush