Old 08-22-2007, 12:54 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Much easier when you have a car that can make downforce in excess of it's weight. Then you tune for mechanical oversteer and trim the aero for a slight push.

Something I am very much in the middle of learning.

It still throws me a bit to realize that downforce is allowing me to take some turns flat out as long as I keep the speeds up.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:52 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the advice - definitely having a car that response to throttle and brake input as well as the 911s helps compensate for setup issues. I'm leaning toward the oversteer setup in the slow and mid corners. (I'd like to be more on the gas than brakes for sure)
Old 08-22-2007, 11:11 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Something I am very much in the middle of learning.

It still throws me a bit to realize that downforce is allowing me to take some turns flat out as long as I keep the speeds up.
Yes and the challenge is to learn to drive out there. You WILL find some corners (probably around 100mph) where you will feel that you are at the limit at 95 mph. You just know another 2-3 mph and you will crash. But take it at 106 and the car will stick.

As you learn, run as much wing as you can. That minimizes the gap between the loss of mechanical grip and the onset of aero grip. You will learn to drive the aero easier that way, in my experience.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:21 PM
mji911
Instructor

From my experience of running an 911SC understeer has been the quickest for improving lap times. You can get to throttle sooner.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Yes and the challenge is to learn to drive out there. You WILL find some corners (probably around 100mph) where you will feel that you are at the limit at 95 mph. You just know another 2-3 mph and you will crash. But take it at 106 and the car will stick.

As you learn, run as much wing as you can. That minimizes the gap between the loss of mechanical grip and the onset of aero grip. You will learn to drive the aero easier that way, in my experience.

I have a feeling turn 13 at Road America as well as 7 might fall into that category. The kink apparently is quite easy due to the downforce. I'll find out this weekend at a Double Regional.

Right now I am running as much wing as I can for that very reason.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW - I would like to have the car :arry describes. In the real world (mine anyway) my car is set up to have slight understeer in fast corners. This means it has more understeer in slow ones but trail braking takes care of that in most cases. Ideal would be neutral but 911's don't seem to do neutral in both slow and fast corners. The touch of understeer in the fast corners means that I lift slightly for turn-in and can get on the gas sooner than in a car that oversteers and makes me reduce power to avoid a slide. Note I refer to power oversteer since in a 911 you drive the back wheels, often applying power to stabilize the rear end.

If you set up for neutral to oversteer in slow corners, I would expect a 911 to oversteer too much in the fast ones.

Best,

Quick Reply: On the Track: Oversteer or Understeer or Neutral Set-up