Sponsored by:

07 Turkish GP , Review and Results ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Turkish GP , Review and Results ....

A little re-cap of the last ,from our known clowns , before we move on to the New
http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid1127684351

Monday 20th August 2007

Budapest may have lacked overtaking action, but Istanbul should bring more wheel to wheel moves - and that's just in the Mclaren garage...

The Turkish GP may just be two races old, but already the Istanbul track has established itself as a firm favourite amongst F1 fans. It's fast, it's got an abrasive track surface, it has the awesome left-handed Turn 8 taken flat-out and it has at least three good overtaking places.

Last year the two McLaren drivers were racing for different teams, one in a different formula, but both had memorable races. Fernando Alonso was struggling in the face of an all-out Ferrari assault on his Championship lead. At the German GP Renault's mass damper system, which they had been using since the 2005 season, was suddenly deemed illegal by the FIA, giving a boost to Michael Schumacher's challenge.

The Renault team still looked no match for Ferrari at Istanbul and with Felipe Massa qualifying in front of Schumi, it was a question of when not if he was going to move over, with Alonso trailing in third.

And then a Toro Rosso spun on the exit of Turn 1 bringing out the Safety Car and triggering all the teams to rush in for tyres. With Massa still in front of Schumacher, the Ferraris were obliged to queue behind each other in the pits allowing Alonso's Renault to get into second place.

Fernando's defence of second place over the final few laps was a nailbiting experience and one of his greatest ever drives. He held a seven-times World Champion at bay, in a slower car, on a track where overtaking doesn't rely on the driver in front making a mistake. Alonso was immense that afternoon.

His tenacity allowed the quickest man of all that day, Felipe Massa, to get away and win his first GP (he had slowed down loyally, expecting his team leader to come past, and without making it look too obvious).

Massa again should be the man to beat in Istanbul on Sunday. Though a lot has been written about the intra-McLaren battle, there's still a debate to be had in the Ferrari garage. Because although we are patently aware that there are no team orders at McLaren, we know that the Ferrari franchise decrees that Ferrari comes first and driver ambition comes second.

So they will favour the man with the best chance to win. However given their uncharacteristic lack of reliability this season, orchestrating the result might not work out.

Eddie Irvine might have been the first Ferrari World Champion since Jodi Scheckter in 1979 (the year Mika Hakkinen won - 1999) had he not handed points to Michael Schumacher earlier in the season. Schumi broke his leg at Silverstone and his challenge was over.

This was the same year that Mika Salo stood in for Schumacher and got handed Mika Hakkinen's conversations with his McLaren engineers during practice. When this was revealed recently Ferrari angrily pointed out that they weren't spying and that it was radio interference that allowed them to listen in to a rival team. Presumably they weren't compelled to type the comments out and hand them to their drivers, though...

The omens are good for Ferrari to haul back a lot of McLarens' advantage in the next three high-speed races. The closer that they get to leading the drivers' championship, the greater the tension is likely to grow between Massa and Raikkonen as they start to get their eyes on the prize. Raikkonen has waited a long time to get No.1 on his car and is very much his own man. It's going to be difficult telling him to move over.

With Hamilton and Alonso, that's a call which won't come, and even if it did, would probably be ignored. While Alonso had a gritty defensive drive in F1 in 2006, Lewis Hamilton carved his way back through the GP2 field in the most breathtaking fashion. Let's hope ITV re-runs some of that footage from last year. It would certainly be more entertaining than watching Mark Blundell struggle to remember appropriate adjectives, Steve.

As it's a high-speed circuit expect to see BMW up there trying to mix it with Ferrari and McLaren. Renault say they are now concentrating their efforts on 2008 and so the German team might be able to take more risks than normal. Many P-F1 readers assumed that Renault were going to be concentrating on 2008 when they announced their driver line-up of Fisichella and Kovalainen.

The person most worried right now is not Giancarlo Fisichella, but Renault reserve driver Nelson Piquet Junior. Because Flavio Briatore is actively trying to woo his former employee, Fernando Alonso back to the Enstone team. Briatore's outspoken comments about the McLaren/Stepneygate spying scandal hasn't been done for domestic Italian popularity. The man described by Heidi Klumm's aunt as a "wrinkly worthless old has-been" is actively trying to undermine the McLaren team, just as Ron Dennis's early announcement of his signing of Alonso did likewise to Renault in 2006.

Kovalainen has done enough to keep his seat for 2008 and Piquet Junior will have been imagining he could join the ranks of Hamilton, Rosberg and Kubica at Giancarlo's expense. It's all in the balance now.

Red Bull, Toyota and Williams will be fiercely engaged in picking up whatever points that the top five leave behind, while Honda's fears of finishing the season behind SuperAguri will be growing larger and larger.

However all eyes will be on the top four - and the chances are that things are just going to get tighter and tighter. It won't be dull.
Attached Images   

Last edited by A.Wayne; 08-21-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:10 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Massa given new chassis

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, August 21st 2007, 09:45 GMT

Felipe Massa has been handed a new chassis for this weekend's Turkish Grand Prix as Ferrari set their sights on closing the gap to title rivals McLaren.

Massa's new car, chassis number 263, was shaken down by the Maranello outfit in the summer break prior to being shipped to Istanbul, where this weekend's race takes place.

As well as preparing the new car, Ferrari have spent time in recent weeks working on their operating procedures following the refuelling error in Hungary qualifying that left Massa stranded in the pits.

The team reviewed numerous pit stop situations, and the pit crew have been actively practicing their stops to ensure no repeat problems in the future.
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2007, 12:26 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Turkish GP timetable

The Turkish GP marks the 12th round of the 2007 season. Check out the full schedule for the race weekend.

All times are local (Istanbul is GMT+1)

Thursday 23 August
15h00: FIA press conference

Friday 24 August
09h00 - 10h30: First free practice
13h00 - 14h30: Second free practice
16h00: FIA press conference

Saturday 25 August
10h00 - 11h00: Third free practice
13h00 - 14h00: Qualifying
14h00: FIA post qualifying press conference

Sunday 26 August
14h00 - 16h00: Turkish GP
16h00: FIA post race press conference

Turkish GP Info
No of Laps: 58
Race Distance: 309.396 km
Lap Record: JP Montoya (McLaren) 1:24.770
2006 Winner: Felipe Massa (Ferrari)
Old 08-22-2007, 10:00 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Question Raikkonen ready to take more risks

Wednesday, August 22nd 2007, 11:16 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen says he will approach the final six races of the season more aggressively, taking more risks in an attempt to increase his wins tally and battle for the championship title.

The Ferrari driver is currently third in the points standings, behind McLaren duo Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton.

But Raikkonen, who is 20 points behind Hamilton, believes he has the advantage of entering the final third of the season care-free compared to his title rivals.

"I will confront these last races in the same spirit I confronted the ones before: I'll try to win and collect as many points as possible and then we will do the maths in the classification," Raikkonen said.

"We have to give our best and hope that those who are ahead of us have slight problems; I don't have much to lose, so I can risk more than my colleagues at McLaren.

"Six races can seem to be only a few, but for the ones who are leading it's a lot. We were able to see that over the last weekend at the Rally of Germany, where Gronholm paid a high price for a bad day."

Raikkonen, who like the rest of the Formula One paddock, returns this weekend after a three-week summer break, said he was optimistic of the upcoming Turkish Grand Prix this weekend and revealed his car will feature a few technical updates.

"I spoke to the technicians and they told me that we have a couple of new developments in the car," Raikkonen said.

"We have to confront the last part of the season, the one in which everything will be decided. There are three races in four weeks, plus a test: this is certain to be a very busy period, but we are racing on tracks, which are amongst my favourites - Istanbul, Monza and Spa-Francorchamps.

"I think that these are tracks where Ferrari should be very competitive: there are no characteristics that are against us.

"The whole team is working together, to try to recuperate the gap in the points: in Maranello they didn't stop working over the last days!"
Old 08-22-2007, 10:01 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Toro Rosso said no to Ralf`

Toro Rosso said no to Ralf`

http://planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_2677936,00.html

Ralf Schumacher's chances of staying in F1 next season recently took a knock when Toro Rosso reportedly turned him down.

According to the Bild newspaper, Toyota have still not offered the 32-year-old a new deal after his failure to produce the required results in the first two-thirds of this season.

The German therefore turned to Toro Rosso co-owner Gerhard Berger in the hope that he could at least stay in Formula One.

Berger, though, put an end to that thought with the signing of Sebastian Vettel and Sebastien Bourdias for the 2008 season.

"Certain promises were not kept," Ralf told the German newspaper with regards to Toro Rosso's new signings.

However, the German's manager hasn't given up hope of finding Ralf a new race-seat or even staying with Toyota.

"We have some possibilities, but the priority is to stay with Toyota. We will talk about it soon," Hans Mahr said.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:36 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default If you had to be reminded

Brundle called it perfectly ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOtCy9kiffo
Old 08-23-2007, 12:40 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

McLaren and Mercedes' Haug want to have a chat with both Alonso and Hamilton PRIOR to the Turkish GP. www.f1racing.net

Gee, I wonder what will be said...
Old 08-23-2007, 04:41 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Schedule , Turkish GP 07

Istanbul local time: Thu, 10:41
Today: Showers
Hi 36°C / 96°F
Lo 19°C / 66°F

Practice 1 Fri 03:00-04:30
Practice 2 Fri 07:00-08:30
Practice 3 Sat 04:00-05:00
Qualifying Sat 07:00-08:00
The Race Sun 08:00-10:00

Schedule EST......

Friday Hi 35°C / 95°F
T-storms Lo 19°C / 67°F

Saturday Hi 28°C / 82°F
Showers Lo 22°C / 72°F

Sunday Hi 30°C / 86°F
Partly Cloudy Lo 18°C / 64°F

Monday Hi 27°C / 80°F
Partly Cloudy Lo 17°C / 63°F
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2007, 10:40 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I think from Alonso's point of view, it all comes down to respect. He thinks he deserves some from his teammate and isn't getting any. I tend to agree with him in this regard. But if Alonso thinks he will jump ship to another team and give Hamilton a real challenge, he is mistaken. I don't see F taking him and there isn't really another car out there that is currently able to mount a real challenge.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:29 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

3 weeks is such a long time to wait.
I'm really looking forward to this weekend.
Thanks for the updates.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Hamilton, Alonso skip Turkey build-up

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, August 23rd 2007, 09:04 GMT

World championship leader Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso will be notable absentees from the Istanbul Park track on the Thursday build-up to the Turkish Grand Prix.

Despite the intense media interest surrounding the fight for the world championship, especially after the events of Hungary, the duo will be staying in downtown Istanbul rather than heading to the track.

Both drivers have scheduled sponsorship commitments in the morning and, with neither being called up for the official FIA press conference this afternoon, the team have decided to hold a scheduled team meeting downtown rather than have everyone make the lengthy trip to the circuit.

The Woking-based outfit are keen to put the events of the Hungaroring behind them, and it is understood that the meeting today will be be geared towards clearing the air ahead of track action starting tomorrow.

Martin Whitmarsh, McLaren F1 CEO, said last week that the team were determined to keep their focus.

"Each race weekend has its own challenges. We faced some unique ones at the Hungarian Grand Prix and there has been much reportage in the press in the two weeks since," he said.

"However, none of this has affected the preparation and motivation of Fernando, Lewis and the team for this round of the season."
Attached Images      
Old 08-23-2007, 11:50 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Alonso with War Paint , When the spanish grow's A beard , Watch out !
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:00 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
I think from Alonso's point of view, it all comes down to respect. He thinks he deserves some from his teammate and isn't getting any. I tend to agree with him in this regard. But if Alonso thinks he will jump ship to another team and give Hamilton a real challenge, he is mistaken. I don't see F taking him and there isn't really another car out there that is currently able to mount a real challenge.
Hamilton doesn't even respect Ron Dennis as seen from the last race, so it's doubtful he will give any to Alonso.

Alonso needs to move as I can't see things getting better, only worse. Can you imagine another year of this? The only way I see Alonso staying is if he wins the WC this year. If Hamilton wins, then Alonso is gone for sure.

Things change dramatically in F1 as evidenced from McLaren not even winning 1 race last year and this year they are clearly going to win both the driver and constructors championships. With BMW locking up their driver lineup for 2008, Renault not having a competitive package, I see Ferrari as the only alternative.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:15 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what **** poor management on the part of McLaren. it should be very possible to have two contenders on the same team be a GOLD mine for your company and its sponsors. if they just created a system whereby these guys could compete against each other without feeling as if one or the other is favored by the team, i think they'd do fine.

how about this: whoever gets the best time in Saturday practice gets preference during qualifying. whoever qualifys best gets preference during the race. period. this way, the driver has himself to blame without drudging up accusations of favoritism. either driver has the ability to become the 'number 1' driver by outpacing his teammate. gives them something more to strive for.

i think more than anything this whole situation has illustrated McLaren's total inability to manage the situation with authority.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:39 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by insite
what **** poor management on the part of McLaren. it should be very possible to have two contenders on the same team be a GOLD mine for your company and its sponsors. if they just created a system whereby these guys could compete against each other without feeling as if one or the other is favored by the team, i think they'd do fine.

how about this: whoever gets the best time in Saturday practice gets preference during qualifying. whoever qualifys best gets preference during the race. period. this way, the driver has himself to blame without drudging up accusations of favoritism. either driver has the ability to become the 'number 1' driver by outpacing his teammate. gives them something more to strive for.

i think more than anything this whole situation has illustrated McLaren's total inability to manage the situation with authority.
Not only do they have a gold mine, but they are keeping their gold all for themselves and denying everyone else. I don't think they can say that next year as it appears Fernando may be on his way out.

Ferrari's system seems equitable as the driver that has the fastest time in Q2 will have 1st choice in Q3 and hence, the race strategy. Ron Dennis seems to be dictating whom the winner will be depending on the particular weekend.

Quick Reply: 07 Turkish GP , Review and Results ....