Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alonso to return to Renault next year?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Alonso to return to Renault next year?

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/39250/
Old 08-06-2007, 02:26 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Has the silly season started already??
Old 08-06-2007, 04:56 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep !!!

I suspect that Alonso's agents may be talking with BMW as well as Renault.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Adam Cooper is reading Rennlist now?

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
...I agree, most likely Alonso leaves after this year but he won't go to Ferrari. He will go back to Renault (replaces Fisi)...
This is what is most likely to happen next year if McLaren lets him go (and if the situation at McLaren remains as bad as it is now, they will).
Old 08-06-2007, 05:11 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Adam Cooper is reading Rennlist now?

This is what is most likely to happen next year if McLaren lets him go (and if the situation at McLaren remains as bad as it is now, they will).
It's a strong possibility he replaces one of the drivers @ Ferrari , Todt needs a top driver , one who knows how to win and give the team focus, he does not have that now, Quite possibly massa stays if he goes to ferrari , he is Todt's yes guy and this will give todt the ability to wrap the team around alonso , renault has nothing to offer FA , been there done that ....
Old 08-06-2007, 06:40 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
It's a strong possibility he replaces one of the drivers @ Ferrari , Todt needs a top driver , one who knows how to win and give the team focus, he does not have that now, Quite possibly massa stays if he goes to ferrari , he is Todt's yes guy and this will give todt the ability to wrap the team around alonso , renault has nothing to offer FA , been there done that ....
I dunno about the whole current Ferrari situation but to me, Alonso is a great fit there. Proven champion, intense testing, fast, technically apt and big picture guy. Sounds a lot like MS...

BMW while interesting, I'm not sure that at this point FA wants to take that gamble...what do I know?

Renault...why?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:08 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I think BMW would be great just because it would hopefully bring a third team up to the same level that Mclaren and Ferrari are running at.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:18 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

No surprise. I would like to see him a BMW. That might bring a 3rd team regualrly to the top tier. Ferrari leting KR go? I'm not sure that is a good idea. He has proven his ability to win with Ferrari. He gets alone and doesn't create problems. I might get rid of Massa first because of his attitude. Great drover, don't get me wrong but, attitude is a big factor in F1.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:58 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Hardly ever do you have 3 teams competing for the title...

McLaren vs. Williams
McLaren vs. Ferrari
Williams vs. McLaren
Williams vs. Bennetton
Bennetton vs. Williams
Williams vs. Bennetton
Williams vs. Ferrari
McLaren vs. Ferrari
Ferrari vs. McLaren
Ferrari vs. Renault
Renault vs. McLaren (some Williams)
Renault vs. Ferrari
McLaren vs. Ferrari

You'll have a few other teams win races but honestly it's usually a two-horse race...
Old 08-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Wayne you"re really starting to lose it... KR out & Massa staying? Like I said, you're losing it... You're almost starting to sound as bad as when you were saying Kovalainen will be out of F1 by the end of this year...
Not to Renault? See below

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
...Renault...why?
He was very happy there, everything worked great, he was No. 1 etc.

He ONLY left because McLaren forced him to make a decision a year before his contract ended, when Renault still couldn't confirm their stay in F1.

Now Renault has confirmed their commitment in F1 (for 5 years if I remember correctly) so there's no reason for him to go back.
(before you say the car sucks, that of course is true and only reason why he might not go there but the next years car should be back in shape again).
Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Alonso would be foolish to leave a winning team with a winning car in the hope that Renault will produce another winner (athough Renault's track record is good in this matter).

His stunt in the pits cost him the Hungarian race. Forget it and drive on. Ego should be put aside. He and Hamilton are very close in performance. It is a fair fight.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:39 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Alonso would be foolish to leave a winning team with a winning car in the hope that Renault will produce another winner (athough Renault's track record is good in this matter).

His stunt in the pits cost him the Hungarian race. Forget it and drive on. Ego should be put aside. He and Hamilton are very close in performance. It is a fair fight.
+1

IMO... We should ignore both the English & Spanish press... they still have a third of the season of racing ahead of them.

Ron needs to... B!tch slap both the boys and tell them to... get on with it.

I still expect FA to leave McLaren... but thats next year.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:40 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Wayne you"re really starting to lose it... KR out & Massa staying? Like I said, you're losing it... You're almost starting to sound as bad as when you were saying Kovalainen will be out of F1 by the end of this year...
Not to Renault? See below

He was very happy there, everything worked great, he was No. 1 etc.

He ONLY left because McLaren forced him to make a decision a year before his contract ended, when Renault still couldn't confirm their stay in F1.

Now Renault has confirmed their commitment in F1 (for 5 years if I remember correctly) so there's no reason for him to go back.
(before you say the car sucks, that of course is true and only reason why he might not go there but the next years car should be back in shape again).

Massa will stay because he will do what todt tells him , for the Alonso situation to work , I do not see Kimi driving for Alonso , or moving over if ordered to .....
the one or 2 times he might find himself in front of Alonso , being the slower driver and all .....

Kovalainen will be out of F1, It could have been worse , i could have said Kimi would be a WC
Old 08-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What FA does now will be telling what he's truly made of.

It would be foolish to leave McLaren. They are the hot car to have. It's his best chance of being WC again. So he doesn't like his teammate? BFD. If he leaves it will be because his ego needs him to be the No1 drover more than his ego needs him to be WC.

What is funny right now is the team principles of the two top teams are both fed up with both of their drovers. But in the grand silly season, what are the choices in front of the drivers and the team principles? All involved would be wise to stand pat and work their program. I predict that the team that gets back down to business first will be the team that will not only produce this year's WC, but probably next year's as well.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:02 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Interesting to see how well Mclaren goes over next 2 years with Lewis

Quick Reply: Alonso to return to Renault next year?