Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:18 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manager denies Alonso free to leave

By Pablo Elizalde Wednesday, August 8th 2007, 10:04 GMT

Fernando Alonso's manager has denied the Spaniard has been given the green light to leave McLaren at the end of the season.

On Tuesday, The Times quoted a source close to McLaren as saying that team boss Ron Dennis had told Alonso that he was free to leave the British squad at the end of 2007.

"My understanding is that he's been told he can go because they're so fed up with him. Ron is just very pissed off with both of them [Alonso and Lewis Hamilton]," the source told the newspaper.

Alonso's contract with McLaren runs out at the end of 2009, but speculation has been rife about his future following last Saturday's incident with teammate Lewis Hamilton, when the Briton disobeyed orders from the team to allow the Spaniard to pass in order to have an extra lap in qualifying.

Alonso was later penalised for holding up Hamilton, losing his pole position and having to start from sixth place. The Spaniard finished the race in fourth while Hamilton won to stretch his lead in the championship.

Hamilton said after the Hungarian Grand Prix that Alonso had not talked to him since then.

The two-time champion told Spanish TV right after qualifying that the mood was sombre at McLaren because it was him and not Hamilton who had grabbed pole position.

Spain's best-selling newspaper Marca on Monday wrote Alonso had given McLaren an ultimatum, and that the world champion was already looking for a way out of his contract.

Marca also wrote Alonso's manager had already met with Renault team boss Flavio Briatore.

On Tuesday, almost every Spanish newspaper reported about The Times' article, but Alonso's manager Luis Garcia Abad said he had talked to Dennis and the Briton had denied the story.

"I talked to Dennis this morning (Tuesday) and he told me what has been published it's not true. His intention is that the contract is fulfilled," Garcia Abad told El Pais newspaper.

Garcia Abad also downplayed reports about Alonso's exit at the end of the season, saying there aren't many options available if the world champion wants to keep on winning.

"To us, it's not a matter of money," he added. "If it were for they money, we would be in another team. We are in McLaren to win races and the third title. That's our goal. And in these moments there aren't that many options: just McLaren and Ferrari."
Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Massa will stay because he will do what todt tells him , for the Alonso situation to work , I do not see Kimi driving for Alonso , or moving over if ordered to .....
the one or 2 times he might find himself in front of Alonso , being the slower driver and all .....
Oh yeah, you've been drinking heavily again!

Kovalainen will be out of F1, It could have been worse , i could have said Kimi would be a WC
I repeat my offer from few months back: You want to lose another bottle?

Bottle of Finlandia says Kovalainen will be in F1 next year, you're in?

Quick Reply: Alonso to return to Renault next year?