gassing up a trailered car?

Old 08-02-2007, 09:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabcar
.... This may all be worthless but it makes me feel better....
No, it is not worthless and is factually correct.
(Yes, I'm an electrical engineer)
Old 08-02-2007, 11:26 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
MUCH easier if your trailer has a driver side escape door:
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...hmentid=164209
Yes, another reason why I wish I had thought of a side door for my CargoPro.
Live and learn - I was too eager to buy that new trailer and forgot to poll Rennlist users.
I carry 6 or so gas jugs in the trailer (well strapped down) and use them to fill the car at the track. I usually fill them at home, but when going up to Canada (which restricts the amount of imported gas to 5 gallons, I belieive) I stop at a high volume station near the track, drop the rear gate, and fill the jugs with premium.
I take the tow vehicle to the nearest gas station (I only need premium) to refill.
Sometimes I think not trailering has its advantages.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 193 Posts

Always.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, always.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

They sell race gas around here........ but will no longer allow you to pump it into a car (well a car that is being driven anyway).

I never did (and my trailer is enclosed) but there is a reason they ground up airplanes to refuel....
Old 08-03-2007, 07:47 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
there is a reason they ground up airplanes to refuel....
+1
Old 08-03-2007, 08:16 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done it but all the while thinking, are there any safety issues I might be missing? Nice to know about the grounding.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:58 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One hand on the car one hand on the metal part of the nozzle will discharge static. One thing to think about if you are filling a car in an enclosed through a side door. The fuel fumes are heavy and will flow down and collect in the trailer. You could get concentrations high enough to ignite if given the chance. Might be a good idea to open the beaver tail while filling to get some cross flow and also prevent any vapor traps. Under the right conditions you could make your inclosed into an open.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I did until I got an enclosed trailer, now I haven't found a way to get the filler nozzle into the trailer where the car is.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:27 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Great solution; I just happen to have a Sawz-all that needs a workout, too.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm NOT an electrical engineer, so be kind to me. Is a plane 'grounded' simply because its tires are touching the ground? Or do they attach a wire or something to it to ground it? I've gotten out of my SUV many times and touched the side of the car before grabbing the pump, to get the static shock out. However, I've never had any static shock, that I felt, when I refueled the racecar on the trailer.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:00 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
I would if I could find a station that sold race gas that wasn't at the track.
If you happen to be going to VIR there is a Liberty gas station on 58 just before the turnoff that sells 100 & 110 I believe...
Old 08-03-2007, 01:03 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I did until I got an enclosed trailer, now I haven't found a way to get the filler nozzle into the trailer where the car is.
I bought three six gallon fuel jugs and a holder that I bolted to my enclosed trailer floor. That plus the gas in the car's tank is usually enough to get me through a weekend.

Plus I have been known to "sell" my gas at a rate just slightly below what the track charges . Do that enough and it pays for the gas cans... J/K
Old 08-03-2007, 01:13 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

The requirement is an FAA reg to my understanding- and it is a wire from the plane to the ground (there are grounding rods set in the tarmac). When I was in the Army (may years ago) we used grounds on missiles when changing stages and once had a horrendous fire- even with the ground- when static electricity fired off one of the ignitor rings and set the first stage on fire.

So I agree there is a slight chance of static electricity setting off the fumes and gas- but I suspect that chance is infinitely small and I have never worried about it. I can't see where it is any greater when a car is sitting on a trailer with rubber tires rather than sitting on it's own rubber tires. If this is the case could one of you electrical engineering types tell us why?
Old 08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
I'm NOT an electrical engineer, so be kind to me. Is a plane 'grounded' simply because its tires are touching the ground? Or do they attach a wire or something to it to ground it? I've gotten out of my SUV many times and touched the side of the car before grabbing the pump, to get the static shock out. However, I've never had any static shock, that I felt, when I refueled the racecar on the trailer.
'Grounding' or 'Bonding' implies a direct galvanic connection to 'Earth', normally accomplished with a metallic conductor.

The rubber tires on your car act as an insulator, hence the reason why you can safely sit in a car and be struck by lightning, the chassis acts as a simple Faraday cage, the current flows around the outside of the body and then jumps to the ground at one or more points.

As mentioned, the simplest thing to do is to touch your car, touch the gas pump, then begin fueling....preferrably barefoot and with sweaty palms.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gassing up a trailered car?