Sponsored by:

VIR Full course Aug 9th

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:19 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
I've got one more thing to say... (yeah, I know, surprise surprise)...

As much as it baffles someone like SCHU that we would want to actually go out on a racetrack and drive fast, it baffles those of us in the advanced group that like to drive hard and run fast, that "experienced and/or advanced" drivers, who wish to attend a track event pretty much for the purpose of "touring" would even sign up for the highest (typically fastest group)... Huh???

I mean, that would be like me buying a first class ticket on a 12 hour flight to destination X, and farting and belching liberally and without reserve on the other first class passengers for the entire 12 hours, and ruining what would otherwise be a nice, uneventful flight. As much as me doing that wouldn't make sense, it doesn't make sense that someone who really doesn't want to drive their car as hard as they can, registers in the top most advanced (once again, typically fastest) run group.

Brian
Um, yeah. Instructors are assigned to the fastest run groups in any event I've attended, I'm far from "baffled", either. Unless you know me, you shouldn't make assumptions Brian. If you are that quick to make assumptions about people based on a couple of internet forum posts, you probably are the guy belching and farting on the plane.
A DE, regardless of your run group, is a place for every attendee, student and instructor, to have fun, learn more about their car and the track, socialize, get an adrenaline rush, but doesn't require everyone to drive their car as hard as they can from start to finish. If that's what you want to do, go ahead - but don't expect everyone else to share your mentality.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:22 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shustermeister
If you are that quick to make assumptions about people based on a couple of internet forum posts, you probably are the guy belching and farting on the plane.
That was uncanny. How did you know? Funny thing with BKS is that, like some people with their pets, his car acts the same way, belching and farting fire all the time
Old 07-17-2007, 11:32 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TD: You guys always asked me how I got my fuel so cheap - now you know... Methane...

Couple of cows and some open land, free fuel... Even beat's Willie's bio-diesel...

Brian
Old 07-17-2007, 11:48 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotcha Brian, I missed one, Manny drag raced me into the uphill after the bridge........ oh that never happpppppened. Hey, a bunch of PCA guys just ran the Glen with BMWCCA and even with speed diparities it was a great time. We did not designate passing zones, but expected instructors to use judgement in alllowing passing where a straight line could be created. This included top of the essess (T5, no straight there). Clean fun, no incidents in the instructor group. We did exempt T10 to T11 by a show of hands. I counted 10 passing areas which were clean.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:06 AM
kenredbmw
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by shustermeister
Funny- I actually jumped in with my comments to start some fireworks and it did the trick. Nothing like starting some s**t with dedicated track ******! LOL
I'm not out there to go "touring" either, and with my previous car (Z06) I was probably as fast if not faster than many of the "big dogs" here. Not looking to pee in anyone's Corn Flakes, I'm sure you're all fast and safe.
My comments above were not meant to say jumping from 4 passing zones to all-out racing was what was asked for. I'm for as many passing zones as can be managed - and for D.E., passing in late brake zone or in mid-corner is not totally comfortable to me, though I've done it before. VIR has a lot of safe places to pass that most D.E.'s don't allow because they consider the main passing zones to be enough. Each club can decide for themselves.
Hope y'all have fun at the event - I'm sure I'll see you guys at future events, as the "boss" didn't clear this one for me, since it's a Wednesday.
SHU, Come on and run...the race for some and the DE for others is on Thursday. Since I am in the Intermediate group I say no passing at all on the straights for advanced. New passing zones, 1,4, 5, uphill Esses, Oaktree, 14 and Hogpen. All passes must be completed by trackout and free passing with the checkered flag and of course the last run of the day. The time between run sessions will be entertaining for the rest of us. LOL

First post...couldn't resist
Old 07-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No Bob, that would be the most that any PCA club would allow.
Front
1-2
3-4
Bridge
10-11
Back
Roller
Front

That's alot better than 4 - any day of the week
That is the 7 I remember.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spoken in true GhettoRacer fashion...
Had the same thought.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

We did not designate passing zones, but expected instructors to use judgement in alllowing passing where a straight line could be created. This included top of the essess (T5, no straight there). Clean fun, no incidents in the instructor group. We did exempt T10 to T11 by a show of hands. I counted 10 passing areas which were clean.
Bob:
That's the way it can, and pretty much should work in the advanced groups, and I think alot of people are coming around to that idea.
Speed disparities aren't an issue if people simply use their head and keep an eye on their mirrors, plan for off-line maneuvering, etc.

I especially like the part where you say "straight line could be created"
- that's good stuff!

We're gonna figure out a way to have a good time on this "Wednesday" event, regardless of how many barriers people try to put in the way... (except the big man sending bad weather I guess...)

And like we told the Audi club one time - we promise not to drive more than 7/10s -

Brian
Old 07-18-2007, 11:12 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

...... and I don't let the poor girl breath for one second if I can help it.
Brian
Damn Brian, you are quite the sadist
Old 07-18-2007, 11:39 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

Ok if you all can have this much fun in a thread then the track should be a blast.

Since I sold my cup car I'm going to show up with my e63 on slicks and kick everyones ***, DTM style.

Are instructor slots still open even if I don't drive? I would like to ride along with some of you in red if I can.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:45 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ride with me Chris... I need tons of help!!!!
I want to hit that 2:04 mark...
Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

There are still the need for sometihng like 3 or 4 more instructors. More than welcome to head out with me for a session if you like. Would be nice to get some pointers from another advanced driver. We never seem to see the bad habits we picked up until somebody points them out
Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I want to hit that 2:04 mark...
Old 07-18-2007, 12:17 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

OK I sent the registrar an email asking in.

The slicks I have won't fit on my e63 so at least a quarter of the red group will be safe

Honestly I just want to get out at VIR again. It has been about 2 years.

Brian, LVDell, etc, if anyone wants me to ride with them please let me know.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Chris L.
Pro

OK! I can't let my buds have all the fun. I would welcome a ride and chastisement Chris.

Quick Reply: VIR Full course Aug 9th