ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Max's view of F1 in 2011

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/38364/

Engine efficiency
To limit engine power by imposing a maximum energy flow rate. However, there will be few restrictions on the engine cycle, which can include turbocharging and energy recovery. It is believed that this will lead to a gain of at least 20% in thermal efficiency.

Drag

To allow moving aerodynamic devices, which will reduce drag by over 50% and allow a 40% reduction in the power required to maintain current speeds.

Energy recovery

Energy will be recovered during braking and returned to both front and rear axles when accelerating. The amount of energy returned on each straight will be limited in order to prevent top speeds exceeding the safety criteria for the circuits.

Fuel

The total amount of fuel energy to be consumed during a race will be regulated, encouraging further overall efficiency. The CO2 emitted will be further reduced by the introduction of gasoline which is partly derived from sustainable, non-food bio sources but complies fully with pump fuel legislation.

Overtaking

Formula 1 cars currently find it very difficult to overtake because of the influence of the car in front. New aerodynamic rules will halve the downforce,
and desensitize the car to the influence of the wake of the car ahead. It is also proposed to eliminate automatically the downforce deficit of the following car.

Regulations

The best estimates of what these measures will mean in terms of regulations are currently as follows:

• 1.3-1.5 liter, 4-cylinder engine;
• no RPM or boost limit;
• energy flow rate to generate 300kW, including energy recovery from the
exhaust;
• 200kW brake energy recovery, front and rear axle;
• 400-600kJ energy return per straight;
• pump-legal bio-fuel;
• FIA specified and supplied undertray and possibly other aerodynamic components;
• 50% 2007 downforce;
• adjustable, regulated wings and cooling;
• automatic downforce adjustment when following another car;
• lap times and top speeds maintained at 2009 levels;
• over 50% reduction in fuel consumed.

Costs

A number of measures to constrain costs are proposed, including:

• standardization of components;
• homologation of components and assemblies;
• material restrictions;
• extended life of assemblies;
• restrictions on personnel and work at races;
• restrictions on the use of certain facilities (eg wind tunnels).

Wow....
Old 06-27-2007, 02:19 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny, I JUST read that. I like some of the changes, like no boost limit or rpm limit, and moveable aero devices and more grip/less aero. I dont like the bio fuel, energy recycling, and homologation crap.
Also an interesting note that they are consulting with VW/Audi group on Rules changes. Might we see another German company in F1?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

what is max smoking?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
Funny, I JUST read that. I like some of the changes, like no boost limit or rpm limit, and moveable aero devices and more grip/less aero. I dont like the bio fuel, energy recycling, and homologation crap.
Also an interesting note that they are consulting with VW/Audi group on Rules changes. Might we see another German company in F1?
You might have noticed that Audi knows something about alternative fuel cars - VAG has repeatedly said that F1 is too expensive in terms of people

R+C
Old 06-27-2007, 02:41 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Cost costing by "Standardization of Components"???? When have the FIA ever left the rules alone so as to save costs. Wasn't the reason for going to a V8 from a V10 a cost cutting measure along with decreasing speed? Last week he threw out the possible use of a V6, this week a 4 cyl. When does it ever stop? All this costs mo' money to develop
Old 06-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
You might have noticed that Audi knows something about alternative fuel cars - VAG has repeatedly said that F1 is too expensive in terms of people

R+C
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2007, 03:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Cost costing by "Standardization of Components"???? When have the FIA ever left the rules alone so as to save costs. Wasn't the reason for going to a V8 from a V10 a cost cutting measure along with decreasing speed? Last week he threw out the possible use of a V6, this week a 4 cyl. When does it ever stop? All this costs mo' money to develop
News date: 2012:
Toyota wins the F1 Constructors Champtionship with its F1 inspired Toyota Prius.

I think that's where it ends.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Congo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
News date: 2012:
Toyota wins the F1 Constructors Champtionship with its F1 inspired Toyota Prius.

I think that's where it ends.
sad

Quick Reply: Max's view of F1 in 2011