PCA Drivers in Koni Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts
Default PCA Drivers in Koni Challenge

Today on speed (nascar tv) Terry Heath/Mark Hupher and Renee Robichaud (sp) did very well in the televised races. It is great to see PCA drivers move up the ladder.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:05 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Mike Piera here on Rennlist was in that race too. And Derek Skea who also posts here was in the 6 hour race at the Glen. Way to go guys.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Today on speed (nascar tv) Terry Heath/Mark Hupher and Renee Robichaud (sp) did very well in the televised races. It is great to see PCA drivers move up the ladder.

Bob Henif was in the race also. Terry Heath was paired up with Gary Grigsby in Gary's 997.

Didn't see Hupfer on the results list on grand am's website.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:09 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had written on theracesite.com that Calvin Fish mentioned PCA during one of the prior televised races (Grand-Am IIRC). So we put up a list of the names we could remember to that point. Good to have more.

PM
Old 06-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

John Bibbo is also a name I recognize from PCA races.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Correct,Grigsby and Heath drove togeather not Hupher.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:55 AM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

Barry Ellis is an accomplished PCA; PBOC and Panoz racer. His teamate, Frazier Weldon got booted early in the race.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:07 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

John Potter was also running race, he ran the PCA race at the Glen weekend before.
Phil
Old 06-11-2007, 09:26 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a free 30 minute driving lesson from Andy Lally in the first sprint race at Watkins Glen. It was fun watching him win the 6 hour. It might be a stretch to call him a PCA racers though.
Jim
Old 06-11-2007, 10:50 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I rented a ride in ex-PCA star Mike Bavaro's 997 for my first pro race. It was an amazing experience, from my co-driver Shane Lewis qualifying 2nd, to getting moved to the back for illegally high revs. He moved up in the race into the top 10 I think before he pitted. I got in at 18th position for the last hour, when most of the pro-drivers like Bill Auberlen, etc were on the track, and moved up to 13th before a Mustang spun right in front of me in the lefthander (not shown on speed) and cost me a bunch of positions (finished 16th) but at least I did not hit him.

We had a 1st time crew chief in addition to a 1st time driver so our pit stop was not very good, they didn't give me time to get my gear on, then nobody was telling me when to leave the pits so we lost some positions there (and of course I stalled the car....). I was involved in an "incident" in West Bend, a 911 was trying to pass me on the outside (in the grass?) and we collided, sending him spinning into the tire barrier... they said I turned into him but I think I was going straight and just ready to turn in, when he banged me in the left rear. Thank God I don't have to explain this one to the PCA steward as I'm already on probation...

Our car got hammered, it was a very violent race as it's so hard to pass at LRP. But it held up well to all the banging and cost a lot less to fix than a cup car

Would like to run more races, was asked to drive at the Glen but I still feel sick when I think about racing there, too much bad luck, and don't think banging into cars at the Glen would be much fun with all the blue bushes planted inches from the track. They do 2:06s there, I dont see how that can be done on those rock hard Hoosiers, though the power in the GS cars is quite good (especially the Mustangs!!).
Old 06-11-2007, 11:29 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,
Andy Lally qualified at 2:05.0xx in the TRG Koni car at WG. I think he was on the spec Hoosiers but I could be wrong. The car was very close to my 2005 cup on the straights.
Jim
Old 06-11-2007, 12:16 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimB
Mike,
Andy Lally qualified at 2:05.0xx in the TRG Koni car at WG. I think he was on the spec Hoosiers but I could be wrong. The car was very close to my 2005 cup on the straights.
Jim
wow... are you sure that was the Koni GS car? They should only have about 300 HP (stock 997 3.6 engine). The one I drove was closer in speed and power to my '73RS than my ex-cup car. Also they are HEAVY (3150?) unless he pulled out the ballast. You should kill a GS car on the straights.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:47 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

They were running it as a GTA car so I have no idea what they had done to the car. It has some scoot though. When I did get a run on it Lally did a masterful job of taking away my momentum and owning the corner without really blocking. He's a great driver.
Jim
Old 06-11-2007, 02:07 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Hey Mike,
I had enjoyed watching that race on Speed yesterday and thank you for the first hand notes! Does Bavaro still own the car or ???? Some GREAT racing to watch.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:13 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Yes Mike Bavaro still owns the #21 car, he was looking for a co-driver so I contacted him a few days before the race. He had already talked to Daytona Prototype driver Shane Lewis who was there for the ST class race, who agreed to drive. Mike told me I could drive if I wanted to, and he would decide who would co-drive (He or Shane). Mike did some practice sessions but let Shane and I do the race, he was ready to drive if needed.

It was an interesting race to watch, the pros like the above and Borcheller and Stanton etc seem to be going TOO FAST, way faster than I felt I was going. It's a rush to be out there with heros like those guys (especially when they tap you from behind "I WANT TO PASS - NOW!!!!"). It's also a lot of fun battling with non-Porsches, finding their weaknesses. The BMWs don't have any though... they seem to do it all well. Mustangs can be beat but not on the straights!

Last edited by analogmike; 06-12-2007 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: PCA Drivers in Koni Challenge