Sponsored by:

PCA Drivers in Koni Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 07:06 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Mike, I am glad to see you had fun. You looked great out there on TV! Did the driver who collided with you get hurt? It looked to be a pretty substantial hit. Where you able to pick up anything from Shane?

Charlie
Old 06-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

"I was involved in an "incident" in West Bend, a 911 was trying to pass me on the outside (in the grass?) and we collided, sending him spinning into the tire barrier... they said I turned into him but I think I was going straight and just ready to turn in, when he banged me in the left rear."

I think the mistake was yours from watching the video. It was pretty clear to me that you moved over on him.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:03 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

That was a fun race to watch and good seeing guys you know running.

Mike
Old 06-11-2007, 11:19 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Mike;

Congrats on the race and thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:07 AM
zarnold
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was the other driver in the 43 car. No i wasn't hurt, thanks for asking. I would like to explain the situation as i saw it the same from the cockpit as on TV. What the coverage didn't show is why i was on the outside to begin with. The 21 car had totally botched the previous uphill corner and then moved all the way to the right on the exit to block my run. I had no where to go but the outside. Knowing i couldn't pass on the outside in westbend, and knowing the 21 knew i was there because he just blocked inside, i figured i was safe to fall in line through westbend and pass on the front straight. That obviously didn't work out and we loaded a pretty tore up race car.

Zach Arnold
ASC Motorsports
Old 06-12-2007, 11:49 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
wow... are you sure that was the Koni GS car? They should only have about 300 HP (stock 997 3.6 engine). The one I drove was closer in speed and power to my '73RS than my ex-cup car. Also they are HEAVY (3150?) unless he pulled out the ballast. You should kill a GS car on the straights.

is 997 3.6L detuned? it should have 325HP. my 3.4L has 300HP.

minimum weight for a 997 GS is 3075
Old 06-12-2007, 12:18 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Zach,

Thanks for posting, I watched the video last night and was going to try to contact you to apologize for what happened. It does look like it was my fault and I am very sorry about it. Luckily for you the 911 is very strong and you seemed to hit the tire barrier just right to change the impact energy into spinning and moving tires (and the wall seemed to move too). Glad you are ok.

I would like to explain what happened from my side, as the announcers correctly said I had no idea what happened, they mentioned it was like what happened to Marco Andretti at Indy.

I ALWAYS try to come up the hill in the middle of the road, as we are taught in Skip Barber, PCA, etc. It's not the ultimate fastest way but it's extremely safe and with our cars corner-exit-oversteer it was almost mandatory. Sometimes I would end up on the outside, but if I aimed for that line I would have crashed. Most of the GS drivers did not drive the taught line, but tracked out at the uphill and you saw a lot of them kick up dirt at the top of the hill. That can be dangerous as the road will pinch you off there.

I was not blocking to the right going up the hill, just taking my normal line.
My normal line from the middle of the track at the top of the hill to West Bend is a straight shot to the turn-in point on the left. I was on that line with my hands straight ahead when I felt some hits on my left rear, I had no idea someone was there or what was happening. Being the 2nd driver with the 1st driver several inches taller makes the side mirrors useless.

Towards the end of the race you can see me on that same line, with a dark Mustang on my left but he knew there was no place to go so he backed off and tucked in behind me as usual.

I have run several races per year at LRP since 1998, including racing against much faster and more powerful 700HP GT1/Trans Am cars and have never had someone come alongside me on the left into West Bend, though I always go up the hill in the middle. People usually pass me on the right at the top of the hill or into West Bend.

I am very sorry that your race ended the way it did, and that I did not see you and cut you off. I am glad you were not injured and I hope the car can be repaired economically in time for the next race, I think it's Mid-Ohio which is your home track where you should do well.

Here is what our car looked like after the race, with different wheels. The LR wheel was toast but still held air though the tire was almost worn through from rubbing.

p.s. I meant 300HP to the wheels in my post above, that seems to be what the 997s are getting.

Quick Reply: PCA Drivers in Koni Challenge