17" vs. 18" Rims for Track Work

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:30 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 474 Posts
Default 17" vs. 18" Rims for Track Work

Just last year bought a new set of 18" Fikse Mach 5's for the 993 and switched to Toyo RA-1 (which I love btw).

Thinking now that I may have been better to go with 17" rims as the tires (especially the rears) are quite a bit cheaper. $196 for 275 in 17" and $293 for 18". Savings is about $300/set.

Question is would I notice any performance degridation with the switch. Car is near perfect (for me at least) at the moment and am sometimes reluctant to fiddle with things as they are.

Thanks.

Jamie
Old 05-10-2007, 02:35 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Jamie
I have the same tires and rims; I never even thought about the difference in price, perhaps because my other set of wheels are 18" and it is nice to be able to interchange them if necessary.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If you stay the same outer diameter, the 17" tire sidewalls will be wider and therefore
softer and more compliant. The lateral response will be a bit slower and maybe a
little more forgiving. If the sidewalls aren't stiff (as they usually aren't on street
tires), then you'll get more rollover, and need more camber etc. I think you'll handle
your best with the 18" tires, assuming the wheel weights are close and the tires are
otherwise the same...
Joe
Old 05-10-2007, 02:41 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rick,

We bought ours last year at the same time. I am actually on hold with Paul at Radial for some replacement rear tires...fronts still look good.

I saw you were going to be at cups/saucers I will track you down and say hello.

Jamie
Old 05-10-2007, 02:45 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jford
Rick,

We bought ours last year at the same time. I am actually on hold with Paul at Radial for some replacement rear tires...fronts still look good.

I saw you were going to be at cups/saucers I will track you down and say hello.

Jamie
Hi Jaime
I figured that was you.
Yes, I will be at Cups (though I am but a Saucer) and look forward to seeing you. I will be in the garage somewhere, hopefully South side near the middle).
Too bad you can't come to Chin.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:56 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Would love to do the 4 days in a row but busy here. I will be inside as well.

See you in a few days!
Old 05-10-2007, 03:40 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The additional cost of 18 inch tires is spread for most of the season given that you are using the RA-1's, which seam to last forever. It hurts up front.

I have 18 inch wheels for my 911 and love them.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:51 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

If you need new tires this might be a good time to switch... because there are no street-R tires available in your 18" sizes right now except MPSC. RA1? Nope. R888? Nope. Nitto? Nope. Hankook? Nope. etc...

Right now my DEs are on hold because I can't find any 18" tires.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I just got a set of RA1's for my 18's 245/275. Not sure where they came from though, I got them on a set of CCW wheels. CCW got them for me. I could find out.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
If you need new tires this might be a good time to switch... because there are no street-R tires available in your 18" sizes right now except MPSC. RA1? Nope. R888? Nope. Nitto? Nope. Hankook? Nope. etc...

Right now my DEs are on hold because I can't find any 18" tires.
Hoosiers?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:36 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

The O Eric,

Seems you are right as I was intially told today that Radial had 4 tires but later called back to say no but they may have some next Wed. I should be able to get the next 2 days out of the RA-1's I have and have a new back up set on some Cup 2's if need be.

I've had MPSC (although both sets were used) and would not want to go back to them. I know that many love them but for me things changed very much for the better when I swithed to Toyo. I literally cut 3 seconds off my time at SP main from one DE to the next.

I think I will stay with the 18's. Erics point about the cost spread is a good one. The toyos do wear quite well.

I had a similar dilema a few months back with brake pads....sometimes consumable costs get to me (namely brakes and tires). I went to a lesser pad but am now back to a pure race pad (PFC which I am looking forward to trying).

Thanks all for the help and hand holding.

Jamie
Old 05-11-2007, 02:14 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Jamie, you will lose your shirt if you sell your 18 inch Fikse wheels and then buy new 17 inch wheels. That alone does not justify the switch.

I'm using a 245/275 combination on 18x9 and x11's. The 245 fit just right on the 9's while the 275 are are a little stretched on the 11's. Unfortunately, I've got 2 sets of RA-1's to burn through before making any size changes.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:27 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric,

I know that some 993 narrow body drivers are running the 245's up front. Actually I think Rick (from earlier in the thread) is running that set up.

Would you want to sell a set? I will check with Rick about exact rim size in front (I assume that we have the same set up as we both bought our wheels at the same time from the same place) and make sure the 245's will be ok up front.

You are probably very corect that I will take a loss on the Fikse as well as have to go through teh process again. Additionally i have a beat up set of 18" FM-10's that I can use for a track back up set. Looks like I will stay with the 18' for a while.

PM me if interested.

jamie
Old 05-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default sup j

Do you still have your 17s? Slap some hoosiers on them puppies. What you loose from 18-17 will be offset or gained from Toyo-Hosers. See you soon, fellow nap-less headed ho!

Alan
Old 05-11-2007, 10:19 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jford
Eric,

I know that some 993 narrow body drivers are running the 245's up front. Actually I think Rick (from earlier in the thread) is running that set up.

Would you want to sell a set? I will check with Rick about exact rim size in front (I assume that we have the same set up as we both bought our wheels at the same time from the same place) and make sure the 245's will be ok up front.

You are probably very corect that I will take a loss on the Fikse as well as have to go through teh process again. Additionally i have a beat up set of 18" FM-10's that I can use for a track back up set. Looks like I will stay with the 18' for a while.

PM me if interested.

jamie
Hi Jamie and Eric
Jamie, my tires (and I believe you are correct that we bought the same wheels and tires from the same source at about the same time, Radial Tire):
Toyo RA1As
Shaved to 4/32nd
245/40x18 and 275/35x18
They fit fine, though snug. There is a bit of rubbing from the fronts if I have the wheel cocked too much, so no sharp turns in the paddock; they are fine on the track.
Hope this helps; I always have a spare set of wheels and tires with me at the track. With the long life of the Toyos that means they might be getting a bit old before they are used, but I would rather that than to be caught short.
See you at the Glen!

Quick Reply: 17" vs. 18" Rims for Track Work