Hawk Blue vs. Hawk Plus

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:42 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 474 Posts
Default Hawk Blue vs. Hawk Plus

Getting ready for the first DE of 2007 by stocking up on the consumables. So as I went to order some Hawk Blues (993 on Toyo RA-1s) it seems the price had gone up about $50 a set vs. last year. These were/are pretty economical pads to be sure but asked about a less expensive alternitive.

Ended up ordering a set of the Hawk Plus and am wondering if anyone can offer insight as to how they compare. I have a set of Blues from last year with about 4 days left +/-, and may switch mid day to compare. The plus were about $110/set less than the blues.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not as good. Probably not even close. The Pluses are a good street compound and we run them on our Subaru WRX. When it's time for the track, we switch to the HT-10s. BTW my son Mike just ran the HT-10s on his 993 for the first time and he was very happy with them. You can get away with some street driving on the HT-10s too.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:02 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Larry,

I was afraid you, or someone, was going to say that. Of course the old adage, you get what you pay for comes to mind.

As an aside...looking forward to meeting you and, while not nec. running with you, being on track at the same time, at the cups and saucers event in May.

Jamie
Old 03-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Jamie,
Some of the best Hawk prices are from OG Racing. Give Bill a call and tell him what you need. I have tried all the new compounds HT 70, 60, 10 Blue ect. I like the 60's but settled on the 10's as they are a little bit cheaper and stop as well as the high tech 60's. Are you going to make it out the the midwest one of these years??? (We have a NASA RA event in Aug. this year!!)
Old 03-26-2007, 06:45 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having run both compounds, I agree with Larry. HP Plus can run for street. 993 needs the bite of the new blue pads which are much better than the original as far heat up time and rotor wear.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Having run both compounds, I agree with Larry. HP Plus can run for street. 993 needs the bite of the new blue pads which are much better than the original as far heat up time and rotor wear.
Bob,

How are they with the old Blue's nasty and corrosive dust?
Old 03-26-2007, 07:36 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark,
Have you switched away from the blues? Did a few searches before making this post and saw you were having some issues with the corosifness. I recall it was some of your early intial postings about the blues that led me to try them in the first place....that and the fact that my padgid oranges were leaving quite a buildup on my front rotors.

Eric,

I will try OG. I have bought quite a bit of stuff from them over the years and like thier service. Also can pick them up at Summit Point next week wich is nice. Track event is August is a no go. While no longer the head pro at "Goblin Golf" (what a glorius...read:easy summer that was) I am still busy with the boardwalk and rec. (January) purchased a resteraunt in town...and old coffee/breakfast joint with a few apts and another retail store in the building. What was I thinking? Actually so far so good.

Oh, forgot to mention...dating (seriuosly) somone with three kids. Have my own car seat.

Right where I saw myself having just turned 40? Not so much. Happy? Very. Hope you are well..tranny continues to outperform me. WGI is still calling...don't believe the hyupe re: that armco. As I say to anyone who will listen..."If you don't want to crash, don't."

Jamie
Old 03-26-2007, 07:50 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was afraid you, or someone, was going to say that. Of course the old adage, you get what you pay for comes to mind.
Hi Jamie, going to Summit on 4/6-7? With the speeds your going, no street/track day pads will surfice. The HT-10 are suppose to be good and of course whats wrong with Pagid?? Contact Joel Rieser, for good prices on Pagid, he advertises in PANO.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I always liked Hawk Blues but you might contact Stuttgart from this list about PFC. I know others who have used them with success.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:54 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Bob,

How are they with the old Blue's nasty and corrosive dust?
Hah! First time I put blues on my car, I went out at night to bed them in. Heavy braking at the bottom of our hill. Hugh trails of sparks came flying out. MOOOOre than I expected. Thought the car would catch fire. Mark, the new compound is great far less offensive to the paint.

BTW you were right about the Motons. I am seeing several seconds a lap improvement on old tires and I have not even adjusted them yet.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:02 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh I want motons.

Renvagn,
Yes, will be at Summit for the Schattenbaum kick-off party. Will make sure I have a performance pad, will probably need it, it seems, for T1 and the bottom of the chute. BTW who are you? Can't decipher from the screen name.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hawk Blue 9012 s will do the job, but the HT-10s are the better track pad as Larry said. I use the HT10s and really like them.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
You can get away with some street driving on the HT-10s too.
I run them in my car full time.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Jamie - How are you? I'm still running Hawk Blues but will try the Pagid Blacks this weekend. I'm sick of cleaning the crap out of my Fikses.

Bob - Hey, wait for meeeeeeeeeeeee!! The Motons are pretty sweet. I better step up my driving or I'll never catch you and Jim.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:55 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
I run them in my car full time.
We would too if it didn't get down to 5 degrees in the winter. The Hawk Plus works fine when cold, and there is no re-bedding when you put the HT-10s on.

Quick Reply: Hawk Blue vs. Hawk Plus