chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What seat are you using?
Old 03-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Garen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corbeau FX1 pro for me, FX1 for the passenger. Both mounted on sliders.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:17 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I think that seat is dimensionally close to a Sparco EVO2. If you haven't dry fit it to the car you might find that when you do that the seat is wider than the opening between the rails and you may not have all of that room you've illustrated. Will a set of side mount brackets not work? Of course that doesn't solve what looks to be your belt mount positioning issue.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:33 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Everything looks good to me. If you go with bolt-in hardware then you can up the double sheared bolt to 7/16". It may be overkill I don't know the math of it. Also, it looks like your seat base bolts to the car but the oem hardware is not as good a what you designed. Again it may be good enough but I like redlineman's overkill welded in/fortified seat bases. I think a good safety sytem starts with a well mounted seat. If the seat fails everything fails...belts can't work...hans doesn't work...sidenets and the steering colunm become your safety system.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Garen
Instructor

Here's what I've got so far:

Everything does fit, see attached pic of mockup.

Factory hardware will be upgraded to at least M8.

Bolt-in vs. clip-in will be investigated later on Monday.

As always, thanks for all of your input.

-Garen (87 930 CS)
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2007, 01:53 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

I think you are looking pretty good. The weak link here is the four 6mm bolts, and the factory seat mount platforms on the side sills.

You can punch out the captive nuts and use 8mm bolts and nuts, and while you're at it, add two more in the rear. That will solve the former. Also, make those extra two rear bolts go through your belt mounts too, and/or make the belt mounts long enough in base to make that easy.

The latter could be fairly easily rectified by adding some steel gussets from the bottom of the seat mount platform over to the side sills. 2-each would be nice, front and rear. One in the middle of each would not hurt a bit.

Oh... and you can bolt through a belt clip, but you have to re-profile the hole in the clip a bit.

As far as the rules go, you are fine for DE as those rules stand now. You might get an argument about racing. The rules state you cannot have belts mounted to the seat. While this is meant to prevent belts directly bolted through the seat itself, or attached to flanges on seat rails/frame (like later factory cars), they might stretch that to include any fastener involed in holding the seat in. That verbage could use some further specificity.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Nathan Muir
Advanced

Potomac follows Club Race rules for seats and belts in DE.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Garen
Instructor

Thanks for the comments. Here's another stab at mounting the belts. This design would mount the inner lap belt using the provided eye bolt.The outer lap belt would mount to the stock 3 point anchor, using an eyebolt also.

The seats will move independent of the harnesses. The harnesses are not directly attached to the seats. Would this still be an issue with clubs that run race rules for DE's?

-Garen (87 930 CS)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Seat & harness mount bracket! new mock-up & diagrams