Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the Instructors and CIs out there.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Nathan Muir
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the Instructors and CIs out there.

I have a question for the instructors, chief instructors and DE event organizers.
Is it OK to base a driver’s run group or instructor qualification on a persons online postings? I don’t mean Ghetto Racer imbecilic type drivel, just normal questions and regular comments. Can or should online postings be used override at the track activity opinions?
Old 03-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't hold what someone says here as a way to judge them on the track. I know MANY people who talk the talk, but don't even come close to walking the walk.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Reminds me of a tracquest event entrant – he claimed to have over ten days of track experience at Watkins Glen – when he went out with an instructor he was completely clueless as a driver. It turns out he was counting his computer game as experience.
Talking about it or writing about it does not directly relate to doing it. You can fully understand the theory and not have a clue about application.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:05 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The closest you could come to a written reference would be a log book, specifically for club racing. I would not trust online postings as it just varies too much on an individuals validity. NPCA cert license would help also.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:53 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I strongly believe that PCA, BMW, NASA, etc. need a national database that contains driver event registration, attendance and evaluation information. This way when someone signs up for Group X their qualifications/experience can be verified, qualified and quantified and their group assignment based on the available data. Though not fool proof, someone with one event will not be placed in an advanced run group no matter what line of BS they give the Registar.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan Muir
Is it OK to base a driver’s run group or instructor qualification on a persons online postings?
NO
Old 03-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it OK to base a driver’s run group or instructor qualification on a persons online postings? Can or should online postings be used override at the track activity opinions?
Absolutely not, to either question. What some people post about driving is based upon years of experience, knowledge and reflection. Others post things based upon new information or techniques/skills just learned. Finally, others just throw out nonsense that sounds good to them, but would not hold up on the track.

How much actual track experience one has, and how well they are driving (overall speed, control, consistency) should be the only determinants to where they should be placed, run group-wise.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

In only rare instances should internet activity be taken into account. The only time I can think of however is the Ghettoracer. The absolute and total negative everything that surrounds someone like him would only cause problems at any track event.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

I have a question for the instructors, chief instructors and DE event organizers.
Is it OK to base a driver’s run group or instructor qualification on a persons online postings? I don’t mean Ghetto Racer imbecilic type drivel, just normal questions and regular comments. Can or should online postings be used override at the track activity opinions?

No.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Absolutely not, to either question. What some people post about driving is based upon years of experience, knowledge and reflection. Others post things based upon new information or techniques/skills just learned. Finally, others just throw out nonsense that sounds good to them, but would not hold up on the track.

How much actual track experience one has, and how well they are driving (overall speed, control, consistency) should be the only determinants to where they should be placed, run group-wise.
+1

If all you knew about me was that I can describe exactly how an airplane is flown, describe the controls and the actions a pilot takes to take-off, fly and land correctly, would you get in a plane I was about to fly?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Nathan Muir
Advanced

My question might have been too vague as I want be careful not to taint opinions one way or the other. I am only looking to see if what one might think is in line with the what others might think.
To add further clarification
The event observed was that the online postings and resulting discussions were viewed in a negative light and prevented advancement of a person that was otherwise noted as a candidate for advancement. Only the online postings prevented advancement. Without that the driver would have been advanced according to the organizers. Again, this was not GR or N.W.S. type stuff and is right in line with what you see here in the racer and DE forum.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

What sort of things did this person post that tainted his own advancement?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:42 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Ah, but what about the opposite? Someone who's online posts suggest a lack of understanding and/or judgement; should their posts be used in determining their run group placement?

For example: Joe Drover registers for my DE and indicates on his registration form that he was last placed in the black (advanced solo) run group. His online postings suggest he is careless and that he does not understand basic concepts of high performance driving. Would it be acceptable to use the impressions obtained through his online postings to place Joe Drover back into the white (intermediate instructed) run group until he demonstrates his capabilities?

Are Joe Drover's online postings completely irrelevant, or should they be considered as an indication of his attitude and thought processes which are both relevant to group placement?

Last edited by shiners780; 03-07-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found that one of the hardest things to do is to accurately convey intention through the written word. Maybe that's why everyone who taps at their computer isn't a writer just like everyone who drives a car isn't a racer.

As opposed to inferring positive ability, I do agree that online postings can certainly carry a negative weight. Still, it is always best to directly present your concerns to that person and see what their reaction/explanation is. The results may be uncomfortable, but they will be accurate.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:31 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

If someone has posted comments that are detrimental to their perceived status, then they need to be given the opportunity to clear or explain their actions. If they cannot explain their behavior or offer evidence contrary, then I guess they have a problem. This is somewhat convoluted/hypothetical and needs a complete explanation.

Quick Reply: Question for the Instructors and CIs out there.