Sponsored by:

Care and feeding of a trailer...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:52 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
As for a weight distributing hitch - I have considered that, but I'm not sure how effective it would be. I figure the trailer probably weighs in around 1500 lbs, plus my 3000 lb car, plus 500lbs of gear, and I'm at 5000 lbs. My tow vehicle is rated at 6900 lbs pulling capacity. Is that enough of a cushion, or should I go with the weight distributing hitch?

-Z-man.
If the rear end sags on the sport trac then you need a weight distribtuing hitch. It is very likely that the rear end will sag. Most mid-size SUV's will sag with an open car trailer. Most full size trucks have enough rear springs to get away without it. Rear end sag is a result of too much tongue load. In some cases playing around with where the sits can help, but you need to proper balance the trailer too an it may then cause you to have just a bit too much tongue load for the truck (about 10% of the total trailer should be on the hitch). Remember this will be worse if you load stuff in the bed. So the answer is a weight distributing hitch as it will put more weight on the nose of the truck and less on the rear axle. I'd bet if you rear the manual the 6900lbs rating is with weight distributing hitch. Too little weight on the front wheels will allow them to lock up (or activate ABS) easily under hard braking and greatly increase stopping distances. Reason is simple as you just are not getting enough weight transfer to the front wheels.

BTW... I don't use one on my dodge, but a 2500 dodge is such overkill for an open trailer I can get away with with it. It has 10,000 tow rating and 1,000 lbs on hitch (wt distrubuting) then there is that 3300 lbs payload. If I towed and enclosed box I would get weight distributing hitch to ensure balance.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:26 PM
bbh03
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gavin's Auto Body Supplies. It's right at the intersection of Rt 20 and 33rd street.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

As for a weight distributing hitch - I have considered that, but I'm not sure how effective it would be. I figure the trailer probably weighs in around 1500 lbs, plus my 3000 lb car, plus 500lbs of gear, and I'm at 5000 lbs. My tow vehicle is rated at 6900 lbs pulling capacity. Is that enough of a cushion, or should I go with the weight distributing hitch?
-Z-man.
I'll defer that to people here that tow with light vehicles but again, if it were me I would install one of these combination weight distribution/cam sway control systems and never look back.. I have a heavier one for pulling my 24' enclosed and I can't feel it even in windy conditions..

http://www.reese-hitches.com/WD/dt_strait_line.html
Old 03-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Z,

Is there a spare tire for the trailer? I don't see it in the pictures.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:57 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long is the trailer? You can mount some galvanized or black pipe vertically in front of the car and bolt them to the trailer. Put your tires/wheels over the pipe and tie them down. Saves a bunch of fuel economy over a vertical tire rack
Old 03-07-2007, 02:05 AM
Z-man
Race Director

I have a spare for the trailer -- it's currently in my garage.

The trailer is 18 feet long, so I definately have some room to work with in getting a non-conventional tire rack solution.

-Z
Old 03-07-2007, 08:45 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

don't worry about the wood Z. if you do anything don;t paint it, seal it. Paint may be slippery when wet. Also I did the bearings and shackles on my open trailer but it was 10 years old. I think you just need to do a service. My ATC is up at Perfromace now. Andy
Old 03-08-2007, 10:53 PM
lwilkins
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Wheel Bearings

"2. Any ideas on how long the wheel bearings last on such trailers?"

If you just bought a new trailer, I'd say two years. If your trailer is used, I'd say, repack them now, and every two years thereafter.

My personal experience on this is from not doing so. My trailer stranded me for a full day enroute from Dallas to Road America, about 150 miles from any city. The wheel bearing wear was so great that I had to get a new axle before I could proceed.

Wheel bearings are things that are easy to overlook or take for granted, since they don't get much use. I won't make that mistake again.

Good decision on buying a trailer, and on seeking advice. Best wishes.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:23 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

4. At this point,, I'm not going to put a tire rack on it. Has anyone found other creative ways of mounting tires on a trailer like this? I was considering mounting a couple of spare tires infront or or behind the car.
-Z-man.
This isn't a great picture to illustrate how I mounted a spare set of wheels/tires to my trailer, but if you look closely, you can see 4 wheels for the car + 1 spare for the trailer stacked vertically on top of the A arm of my trailer. I'll try to take some better pictures over the weekend and post them for you.
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2007, 12:31 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

I figure the trailer probably weighs in around 1500 lbs, plus my 3000 lb car, plus 500lbs of gear, and I'm at 5000 lbs. My tow vehicle is rated at 6900 lbs pulling capacity. Is that enough of a cushion, or should I go with the weight distributing hitch?

-Z-man.
My trailer, car, and gear weigh approx 6,200 pounds. I have two tow vehicles that I use that are both rated at 6,500 lbs and I don't use a weight distribution hitch and never felt as though I needed one. My longest tows were between Dallas and LA (3 times). Up hill, down hill, cross winds, etc, and it's been fine. That being said, I've only been towing for a couple of years. The guys with more experience may have a different opinion.

Quick Reply: Care and feeding of a trailer...