Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 10:20 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Post Helmets

I've raced motorcycles for many years and have never had a problem purchasing a helmet that felt right. I usually have used Arai or Shoei helmets at around the $400 mark. They have felt great and even the $150 helmets made by Bieffie and AGV feel pretty good when on. Well, while shopping for a Automobile helmet, I couldn't believe how uncomfortable they were. I tried on several from Shoei, Bell, and Simpson. All were 300-500 dollars, but they just didn't have a lot of padding. I finally settled on a Shoei, but its not nearly as good as my current motorcycle helmets. It makes me want to try to get the motorcycle helmet into to my next DE. Any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2002, 10:56 AM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geoffrey,
I experienced the same thing. I found that in order to get a car helmet to feel as good as a bike one, you need to spend 800.00 The reason I know this is because I tried an Arai since I find they fit my head well in the bike helmet arena but to get the equivalent in the car one was just way too much money. I ended up getting a Bieffe which was in the 400.00 range and feels pretty good, but not nearly as good as my Arai Quantum for roughly the same price. As far as DE's go, you'll have to check with you local region to see if they allow you to use Motorcycle helmets.

James
Old 01-29-2002, 09:21 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts
You really need the SA rating for DE's. My helmet was pretty snug when new (occasional pressure headaches at the end of session on hot days). Since then, it's adjusted a little or I have. Either way, it's tolerable for 30 minute track sessions now. Certainly not the comfort level I would look for in a helmet you'd wear biking for the day.

Keep the shiny side up,
Old 01-30-2002, 02:54 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't the only difference between SA & MA helmets the Nomex liner? I know this has been debated endlessly and it usually ends with some helmet manufacturer's rep. saying it.

But what about wearing a Nomex balaclava under an MA helmet?
Old 01-30-2002, 08:51 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

The difference between SA and M is that the SA helmets have fire resistant materials and they have been roll bar impact tested. I find it funny too because I know from experience that hitting the ground at 120+ on a motorcycle has to be as stressful as hitting something inside the car. I would NEVER wear this auto helmet on a bike, it is just too uncomfortable. Its odd because it is made my the same manufacture that I have a motorcycle helmet from. I guess you maybe replace motorcycle helmets more often (crashes etc.) than you would in a auto so maybe that is why they cost less. All I know is when you walk away from a 120+ crash with no headache, you know the helmet did its job.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:52 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

P.S. I gave up the bike because I got married and love my wife more...
Old 01-30-2002, 01:30 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I've been in enough wrecks on bikes that it's not that much fun anymore.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:32 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
As I recall from my days of motorcycle racing,
motorcycle helmets are good for one good hit to the helmet, after that they dont do such a good job of protecting you head! they are also made to absorb energy from a sliding impact common with motorcycle accidents. Auto helmets may also have the one impact rule applied but they are made to take a hit off a roll bar, windshield, steering wheel ect. more of a blunt force trauma. As far as I know, it is a PCA national rule that motorcycle helmets are not allowed in DE events. Auto X is another story.

Quick Reply: Helmets