Old 02-20-2007, 05:52 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Yes, there was a two part series in Vintage Motorsports. I may still have them around.

Nov/Dec 2006 Vintage Motorsport was part 2 iwth the kurtis-buick on the cover. I'll go out on a limb and say part 1 was in the prior issue but I couldn't find my copy.

I've also heard some talk of a sports fitness group that does work/employs driver coaches to work on both fitness and skills. I never looked into it much but thought it was a great idea.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:01 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't party too much before the race, when your short term memory goes you will forget if the next turn is left or right.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:02 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Don't party too much before the race, when your short term memory goes you will forget if the next turn is left or right."

Pushing 50, eh Mike?
Old 02-20-2007, 07:11 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by analogmike
Don't party too much before the race, when your short term memory goes you will forget if the next turn is left or right.

You can remedy that by going circle track racing
Old 02-20-2007, 07:58 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmiLew
Pushing 50, eh Mike?
Not quite, but better than pushing up daisies.

Now where did I leave my &^%*%$#@ keys.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:45 PM
silver44
Instructor

Default fitness

I started working out this winter as well...I tell people for my health and to lose weight but actually I did it to improve my fitness level to combat driver fatigue. I do areobics every other day and do weight training on the opposong days mainly concentrating on an upper body workout. It would do much better if I could just improve my eating habits...thats the next phase. I do feel better and it really gets my day started off right...now down side to it at all.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

have more sex
Old 02-21-2007, 12:38 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well seeing as how you others have chosen to degrade this thread, what the hell:

Hey Mike, I hear that chasing sheep around is pretty good cardio, catching them is even better!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Waco Kid
Advanced

Thanks for all the input. My fitness routine currently entails walking/running on a treadmill and some basic weights at home. My wife makes fun of me but I take her 5lb weights, while walking on the treadmill, and hold them out in the steering position turning left and right. I'll do these turning exercises for two minutes while walking, rest my arms for two minutes then do it again.

I was on the treadmill for 2.5hrs during watching the Daytona 500, 3.5 incline @ 3.5mph and I was hurting afterwards.
All for the sole purpose of droving faster; I must be sick.

Must get on treadmill
Mad droving skillz I desire
Still brake too early
Old 02-21-2007, 07:18 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I'm on the little chocolate donuts and Marlboro Lights program. It's worked so far.

G.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Quite honestly, if you are not fit, you are doing yourself an injustice from a racing point of view.

Apert from getting rid of unwanted weight, exercise helps you achieve coordination, concentration and stamina. It also makes it easier for you to taper off the alcohol, cigaraettes and other recreational drugs that you may or may not indulge in.

The fewer extraneous stimulants you have, the easier it is to get 'in the zone', when you are at one with the car and circuit, able to circulate fast yet within the capabilities of yourself and the car. This is optimal for enduro driving.

Apart from a very few series, you rarely come across a professional race driver who is fat, smokes or drinks alcohol to any noticable extent. Amateurs who wish to do well might lwarn from these behaviour patterns.

Most of the amateur drivers that I know who can go head to head with the pros are extremely fit, not always young, but fit - they run, swim, cycle, go to the gym and look after their health and diet.

R+C
Old 02-21-2007, 09:26 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

My arms and shoulders occasionally are tired from a heavy DE or racing day. My brother, who is an athletic trainer and racer (well, he drag races, so it kinda counts), suggested a twist on the balance ball workout.

Take 2 equal-size basketballs or volleyballs and balance on them in a push-up position (one hand on each ball). This works your smaller shoulder and arm stabilizing muscles, as well as the back and stomach muscles. You can do push-ups in this position as well as roll your hands around to put focus on different shoulder muscles. I started doing this over the winter so hope it helps when driving season starts.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
Marlboro Lights

G.
Pfffttttt.

Man up, grow some sack, and go unfiltered, baby. Lucky Stroke all the way!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:38 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

I find that driving, is not overly stressful for me. Mentally maybe, but certainly not physically. I have an athletics background, training for strength and explosive speed but no endurance but have never had a problem in a race car with endurance.

If you are in reasonalbe condition racing should be a doddle.

Funny thing was that going from tintops to F Atlantic I felt even better. The G forces didn't bother me and I was cooler with all the wind. Of course I wasn't all that fast...
Old 02-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

There's a club racer, who I won't name but he probably wouldn't care, who carries or carried a pack of camels and a lighter tied to his roll cage. His explanation was easy "man, with those red flags, you never know how long you're going to be out there".

Two things my wife likes about club racing....I have to get a physical and with the new weight rules, I had to lose weight.

Quick Reply: Driver Fitness