Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:36 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be really PO'd if I had to mod my car away from original to be competitive in a class that was supposed to be all original. GTC1 doesn't suffer the same year over year improvement issue that GTC3 has. That's one reason I like it![/QUOTE]

Don't worry. The US Cups are probably running a straight spring in the ranges of 600/800 or even stiffer. no advantage @ all. They do need to change to the stock exhaust set up.

When they run a 205.0- @ the glen then worry. But that ain't gonna happen! I'm keeping my car as original as possible as I feel I'm the current Stewart of the car. These cars are much faster As GTC 1. -5sec @ the Glen. Al will have all the competition he can get in the NE, No need to go to Sebring. I'm glad to see guys coming to this class instead of the usual move of picking the killer car for a class to avoid true competition. A hollow win. If you can beat Savenor or Burger in GTC 1 then you have done something. Just like running with old F Troop but harder. Heck maybe I should build a 993TT for C or a 996TT for B (1.00.00 @ LRP on AVS sports/ street car) certain could rack up some wins.

All the track records will fall this year in GTC 1.

regards Scotto
Old 02-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
Hmmm ... mine does, I think. Isn't it the big red **** just right of the steering column?
As does mine.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:49 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 38D
I was gridded about 8 spots behind that 968. When it started, it was like a mosquito fogger. There was a long delay as the pit folks checked to see if the car should be allowed to run. It did stop smoking after a few mins, so I can understand why it was allowed to run. Plus it had smoked on startup each session without incident on the track.

The first 1/2 of the race was uneventful. I was exiting T1 as the 968 engine finally let go. Even though I was only going ~50mph by the time I got the esses, it was still absurdly slippery. Brett had no chance at all. It was very sad to see. In a cruel twist, this 968 didn't hit anything at all.
This cracked me up! It reminds me of my Marine days. "As long as it's leaking you know it will fly. When it stops leaking we're F&$ked!"
Old 02-17-2007, 10:06 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Don't worry. The US Cups are probably running a straight spring in the ranges of 600/800 or even stiffer. no advantage @ all.
Hard to know if you're right without equal drivers, same car, back to back comparisons, same conditions, etc. I do not like that they are different at all. On a smooth track, like the Glen, I'd expect a straight spring to be an advantage. Further, if they are running north of 800# then they are running stiffer than the max spring rate on a Euro Cup and that could also be an advantage with good slick tires.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:48 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from the street RS suspension in my US Cup with 200/400 lb springs to 3 way Motons with 700/900 main tender springs, and full ERP monoballs and found only 1-2 seconds at certain tracks. Some of that might also have been just improvement in driving and experience. I think the US Cups could be made to conform easily enough and I have in the past seen Euro Cup shock packages on the used market as recently as a year ago. Biggest differences on the track are always going to be drivers and tires in my book. I don't really have a dog in this fight, but it would be hard for me to imagine the US Cups ever having an advantage on the Euro version with a full pillar / roof welded cage and extra chasis stiffening that would afford. The Euros did pretty well in D class head to head against the US Cups when that was allowed. I would think you would want more drivers in the class anyway. Tom Mcglynn has been driving a US Cup conversion in GTC1 for years. At least he was at Sebring for the two years I raced there.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:50 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a joke.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:06 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
What a joke.
???????????? Explain
Old 02-18-2007, 08:19 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carreracup21
Tom Mcglynn has been driving a US Cup conversion in GTC1 for years. At least he was at Sebring for the two years I raced there.
I didn't realize Tom was driving a converted US Cup. He was at Daytona this past Fall, as well.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Geoffrey can you post the differences? The Cup Car Registry site, intended for USA Cups, lists the differences as two minor pieces. This is wrong, as I know from my recent experience with Bilstein that at least the struts, shocks, and springs are different. What else?

It is basically USA Cup = RS and RS <> Cup, right?
Some of the differences are listed HERE.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:31 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
What a joke.
What are you saying?????
Old 02-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Some of the differences are listed HERE.
Whatever the differences were 17 years ago, they aren't relative today for some cars whose owners converted them to Euro Cup specs when they changed from street cars to track/race cars (possibly the most often converted cars ever?). Mine is one of those with a Euro Cup suspension, etc.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:52 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Whatever the differences were 17 years ago, they aren't relative today for some cars whose owners converted them to Euro Cup specs when they changed from street cars to track/race cars (possibly the most often converted cars ever?). Mine is one of those with a Euro Cup suspension, etc.
In the context of racing in GTC1, however, the differences are important if they impact performance. In your case, your car has already been modded to overcome one of the more significant differences. So, see you in GTC1 this year?
Old 02-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
In the context of racing in GTC1, however, the differences are important if they impact performance. In your case, your car has already been modded to overcome one of the more significant differences. So, see you in GTC1 this year?
Of course, if they are still in place and impact performance.

Unlikely any racing this year.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:33 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Unlikely any racing this year.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Charlie, I think the differences are to the disadvantage of the US Cup car considering that even the Euro Cup cars are having difficulty reducing weight sufficiently to meet the minimum weight. The standard US wire harness rather than the lighweight simplified Euro Cup harness, the door beams, the air bags, the full size washer bottle, the power windows, central alarm system are only a few of the weight adding components. This is what I meant when I said "vastly" different. It isn't going to be easy to convert a USA Cup to TRUE, EXACT Euro cup specs as required by PCA racing rules and is why I think the cars don't belong in GTC-1, just as a GT3RS street car doesn't belong in GTC-3.

Quick Reply: 964 Cup