Sponsored by:

964 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:03 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracup21
This sounds like my old car. No way Brett would sell it for 40k, so that must have been something different.
As for my old car, it is an awesome machine that will make someone very happy. Very well maintained, sorted, reliable and a blast to drive. The car has done 2:26.55 at Sebring, 1:46.55 at CMP, 2:10's at WG and with the new rules in D class, I could have taken 50 lbs. out, so who knows what could be possible now ?. I think Brett just didn't have as much time to race as he thought he would have and has decided to let it go. He still has his original US Cup that is wrecked and in storage. That shunt was in the 05 WG Sprint. Very unfortunate and entirely avoidable if you ask me. We all sat there in the grid coughing while that bug killer was smoking away. One of my crew asked the scrut why he was letting that car on the track, and if he would be taking responsibility for the safety of other drivers. He just shrugged his shoulders. I had just passed that 968 on the previous lap and it just as easily could have been me.
Bill the $40k car was def not yours. Weissach has your old car for $73k, which is about what you'd expect.

I totally know what you mean about it "could have been me". I was slowly catching up to the 968 and Brett. Another lap or 2 and I would have been right behind them.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:27 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=38D]Bill the $40k car was def not yours. Weissach has your old car for $73k, which is about what you'd expect.

Hmmmm...... Just the car to terrorize D Class @ the Glen

Can't have too many 964 cups.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:51 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, and Hoosiers are cheaper than Dunlop slicks. I noticed from the Sebring results that Noveck has changed his US Cup to GTC1. You guys are going to have a big group.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Converting a USA Cup to a legal GTC-1 class car is not as easy as it may seem. One example is the springs and dampers are different between the two cars and the Euro Cup springs are NLA from Porsche. A USA Cup running the standard springs would be at a disadvantage compared to the Euro Cup.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:58 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
One example is the springs and dampers are different between the two cars and the Euro Cup springs are NLA from Porsche.
Good point. How are they doing it? You're not allowed to run a different spring in GTC-1, even if it is a disadvantage. So I wonder what the guy is using? My recommendation was to allow an "equivalent" single-rate spring.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:24 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Noveck told us that the jury is still out on the switch, in his eyes. He'll have fun in the NE, but no competition anywhere else.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:48 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JC in NY
Good point. How are they doing it? You're not allowed to run a different spring in GTC-1, even if it is a disadvantage. So I wonder what the guy is using? My recommendation was to allow an "equivalent" single-rate spring.
I think finding such an equivalent is impossible and thus a whole can of worms is unleashed as a result (some tracks a single rate will be better, others not, do we all change springs for the smooth tracks, blah blah). I liked Geoffrey's idea of having Eibach make us a run of original springs.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

This is not a knock against the USA Cup, but I feel that GTC-1 belongs to the Euro Cup cars only since the two are vastly different cars when looking at the detail specifications. As far as making a run of the cup car springs, there hasn't been enough interest yet for me to move forward on them.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:30 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

This is not a knock against the USA Cup, but I feel that GTC-1 belongs to the Euro Cup cars only since the two are vastly different cars when looking at the detail specifications. As far as making a run of the cup car springs, there hasn't been enough interest yet for me to move forward on them.
Geoffrey can you post the differences? The Cup Car Registry site, intended for USA Cups, lists the differences as two minor pieces. This is wrong, as I know from my recent experience with Bilstein that at least the struts, shocks, and springs are different. What else?

It is basically USA Cup = RS and RS <> Cup, right?
Old 02-17-2007, 05:31 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see vast differences at all. I see vast similarities, and when converted to Cup race specifications - nearly identical.

Still, I'd like to know how that USA Cup was running in GTC-1 at Sebring. I'd like to know what suspension it was if anyone knows...
Old 02-17-2007, 05:33 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JC in NY
I don't see vast differences at all. I see vast similarities, and when converted to Cup race specifications - nearly identical.

Still, I'd like to know how that USA Cup was running in GTC-1 at Sebring. I'd like to know what suspension it was if anyone knows...
I'd like to know, too, as we'll be racing against it up in the NE, no?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I don't know all of the differences, maybe "vastly" was an overstatement on my part. Don't forget that the Euro RS comes in 3 flavors with the NGT the closes to a Cup car but I'm not sure which the USA Cup was based off of. The USA Cup doesn't have the ABS panic switch or pressure cutoff switch as another example.

As far as allowing substitute parts into GTC-1, that brings up discussions on all sides. True there are some parts on the car which is 15 years old that will wear out and not be able to be replaced ie springs come to mind. So, what is one to do? Would linear rate springs be fair? I don't know. If they were faster and I had the stock setup, I'd be upset at now having to change my car from original configuration just to be competitive. On the other hand, using linear springs might be the only option available short of having springs made to original specifications (if you could even find them).
Old 02-17-2007, 06:13 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

having springs made to original specifications (if you could even find them).
No problem if we can lend Eibach some authentic springs to duplicate, right?

I would be really PO'd if I had to mod my car away from original to be competitive in a class that was supposed to be all original. GTC1 doesn't suffer the same year over year improvement issue that GTC3 has. That's one reason I like it!

Last edited by DrJupeman; 02-17-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Duplicating springs is not as easy as that. Eibach is the original manufacturer of the spring. I spoke to their Germany office. They don't have the original specifications but could likely duplicate a set if I sent them one front and one rear. However, they want to see a minimum order of 50 sets.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:49 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

The USA Cup doesn't have the ABS panic switch
Hmmm ... mine does, I think. Isn't it the big red **** just right of the steering column?

Quick Reply: 964 Cup